[1.1.1] "Update Blueprint" applied instantly

Things that has been reported already before.
Tealc.
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.1] "Update Blueprint" applied instantly

Post by Tealc. »

This behaviour was present in 1.0 and probably present from when it was first added along with the Blueprint changes. In fact I am sure this "bug" was the intended behaviour but after coming across it in game I am questioning how much sense it makes...?

What happens: Using the blue "Update Blueprint" button from inside a Blueprint edit frame then using the selection tool to select new additional items/changes or completely different items, then releasing the selection you are returned to the Blueprint edit frame. There you can see the added items. Then when closing the window in anyway other than selecting "Save" the changes are applied anyway.

Further to this I now see the same also happens with name, items and grid position, all are applied and saved without even having to select save. ie, even if you just close the window the changes are saved. I know changes were made to confirmations for input entry boxes so perhaps the same logic applies here?

However I would think in the case of Blueprint edit windows that unless I specifically select save than any changes made within that edit window will not be saved...?

The issue that I had was in trying to update a blueprint by the above method, I incorrectly selected the wrong entities thus was wanting to escape out of the selection. Only that didn't work, I was then returned to the edit window with what I had incorrectly selected now showing meaning my original blueprint was now destroyed and gone.

Ideally (and what I was hoping for) was that I close the edit window (without choosing save) as I clearly did not want to save those changes. Alas opening the blueprint again I discovered that the changes had already been applied from the moment I released the mouse button of the selection tool, there was never a chance to not apply the change.

I am sure the intention was that the changes are saved incase the user forgot to hit save, thus the changes are applied instantly. However the consequences for the reverse is far greater. For example a user that forgot to hit save just has to open the blueprint again and re-make the changes. The user that made incorrect changes has now lost their original blueprint with no way to cancel the changes before being saved.

Yes, I know a copy can be made, and perhaps that should be best practice anyway when making changes to a original blueprint. But if I have to make a copy every single time to make a small change (as a safety measure) the "Update Blueprint" button may as well not even exist as it would be faster and safer just to make new blueprints from the get go each and every time. But that's what the "Update Blueprint" tries to avoid right?

Alas, both of the above work arounds could be avoided altogether, giving added "safety" to the "Update Blueprint" button by not having changes apply instantly so players have the option to cancel the changes if they are incorrect.

Tealc.
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [1.1.1] "Update Blueprint" applied instantly

Post by Tealc. »

Apologies, I missed the linked post in my search.

As was stated in that thread, after the reasoning I understand why it has too be that way. But alas it's disappointing that it won't be addressed as it doesn't seam like a great solution and If I understand correctly, only that way due to multiplayer games?

Why not have a separate behaviour for single player games?

Return to “Duplicates”