[1.0.0] Cannot place blueprint with parts on water and placed pole in center

Things that has been reported already before.
seePyou
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[1.0.0] Cannot place blueprint with parts on water and placed pole in center

Post by seePyou »

Only reporting for 1.0 as that is where it does happen and where I found it. Do not know about previous versions.

Defect: You cannot place a blueprint down for construction if part of the blueprint is over water AND the central piece of your blueprint is a power pole, AND that central power pole is already built.

This is very specific, but an easy way to come across it is to have a large blueprint that you have created and are trying to build it close to water. You can place it the first time but some parts of it will just not be placed down, as they were over water. You bring in some Landfill and expand the buildable area.

Unbeknownst to you, the new buildable area by your Landfill is still not enough to provide buildable ground for your entire blueprint. THIS IS KEY!

Now you go to place the blueprint down again, over what you have built.

Align the blueprint with your current already built parts.

a) Left click: you are presented with the Electric Network Info. No new ghosts have been placed.
b) Control + Left click: same as above
c) Alt + left click: same as above
d) Shift + left click: the copper wire connections of the existing central pole are severed and no new ghosts have been placed.

Workaround:
Remove the central power pole.
a) Left Click: You get an error message that the BP cannot be placed because "Cannot build over deep water" or "Cannot build on water"
b) Shift + left click: Ghost building are placed where they can be placed, including a central power pole which will connect with copper wires once it's built.

Remember the part that I mentioned that is key to this triggering as a defect behaviour? If you did, knowingly or accidentally, build enough Landfill to provide enough ground for all ghosts in your blueprint, when you go to place it again, LEFT CLICKING will place the blueprint down and all ghosts will be there. You do NOT get the Electrical Network Info.

Video demonstration of unlisted video: https://youtu.be/bvfU_NmbEvI

seePyou
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] Cannot place blueprint with parts on water and placed pole in center

Post by seePyou »

There is a difference with the report you mention.
The one you mention points to a general inability to place a blueprint when there is a pole at the center. This is not the case when the entire blueprint can be built, not in 1.0 version anyway.
When the entire BP can be built, and a partial exists, with a built pole in the middle, the BP will be placed down in ghost form. There is no problem there.

The only problem arises when the BP can NOT be build due to obstructions (deep water and water, don't know any other kind), AND the pole is built.

seePyou
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] Cannot place blueprint with parts on water and placed pole in center

Post by seePyou »

I don't understand. I mentioned that my scenario is in fact different to the one suggested by Zavian.

Why is this in duplicates?

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

seePyou wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:42 pm
I don't understand. I mentioned that my scenario is in fact different to the one suggested by Zavian.

Why is this in duplicates?
Because the problem was that you could "click through" the blueprint onto the power pole, which is the problem described by kovarex in the linked report.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

seePyou
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by seePyou »

I did not get that, I'm sorry. was reading (and still do) that differently.

That is the main issue though, so thanks for explaining.

Return to “Duplicates”