[1.0.0] Construction Robots take very long time to build if many ghosts exist that don't have enough materials

Things that has been reported already before.
GhostPirate
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.0.0] Construction Robots take very long time to build if many ghosts exist that don't have enough materials

Post by GhostPirate »

Bug Report

I have 8400 solar panels and 8000 accumulators blueprinted, waiting for material to build (this is about 500 MW of power). There is one single logistics network with 1000 construction robots. There are no robots currently in the air. I place a blueprint of anything you like that has items available - I chose rails, but it doesn't matter.

Image (because I can't figure out in-line image links: https://imgur.com/tZPYyWr

Expected behavior: Robots immediately build the new blueprint because material is available.

Actual behavior: Robots take several minutes to realize they can build the newly blueprinted entities.

The bug: the game takes unacceptably long to process new construction commands when many ghosts exist that do not have materials.

I've replicated this on a simplified map, attached. When you load the game, the rail ghosts have material, and construction bots are in the chest, yet it takes 4 minutes 11 seconds from map load to place the blueprints on my machine.

References

I have read the forums and found the following related posts, which I believe are different issues:

viewtopic.php?p=504774#p504774
Mass Ghost Placement with Inadequate Construction Robots Returns an Inaccurate Maximum of Missing Robots.
  • This is not related because the number of alerts shouldn't affect the build order of the construction robots
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=48218
[0.15.12] Personal Construction bots won't construct (outdistanced robots) MR
  • This player ran out of range of his robots, so they ran out of energy and were slowly trying to return
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=28675
[13.6] Construction robots take long to respond (too many open jobs) MR
  • This is the closest bug report. The original post is concerned with the personal roboport being slow because of faraway ghosts, but my current issue is slightly different, as everything I'm trying to build is from the primary logistics network, not a personal network. In any case, I didn't want to contribute to that thread because the last comment from 2018 was pretty hostile towards continued collaboration.
Attachments
901 - Blueprint Bug.zip
(3.97 MiB) Downloaded 58 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.0.0] Construction Robots take very long time to build if many ghosts exist that don't have enough materials

Post by Rseding91 »

That is all working as intended. There are numerous other reports with the same topic where it's explained in great detail that it works this way to avoid the massive slowdown that would come from it not working this way.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

GhostPirate
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] Construction Robots take very long time to build if many ghosts exist that don't have enough materials

Post by GhostPirate »

Any chance new construction commands could be placed at the top of the queue, interrupting or restarting the game's backlog of unbuilt ghosts? This way if there are 8000 accumulators sitting off in the distance missing material, a new construction command could still be carried out quickly. This seems to me like it would be a good compromise between the user "wanting something now" and the game trying to minimize processing of thousands of ghosts that are waiting for material.

Thanks for all you do, I love the game. I did read the other posts that I linked, and none seemed as recent or as detailed in describing the exact problem I had, so that was why I made a fresh post. Sorry if I should have contributed to a past thread instead.

Return to “Duplicates”