[0.18.X] Massive FPS drop when locomotive UI is open riding a train in a large ribbon world

Things that has been reported already before.
sorahn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.18.X] Massive FPS drop when locomotive UI is open riding a train in a large ribbon world

Post by sorahn »

We're doing a 'race to the edge of the map' game, which was a 16 chunk ribbon with 8 chunks voided in the middle through scenario code. There are 2 forces 'racing' each other (top v bottom) to try and go 1M tiles east. One team is almost 500k tiles from spawn and whenever we open the locomotive UI in a moving train the fps drops into the twenties/teens.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d600amfy1ki2o ... e.zip?dl=0

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.18.X] Massive FPS drop when locomotive UI is open riding a train in a large ribbon world

Post by Rseding91 »

Which train do I need to open to reproduce the slowdown?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

sorahn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.18.X] Massive FPS drop when locomotive UI is open riding a train in a large ribbon world

Post by sorahn »

Ah sorry, I was in a train when I made a copy of the save in single player so I thought it would just start you in it.

The train I am currently riding in is around 137433,145.

Alternatively, if you just go into the south ribbon, and get in a train on the rail against the top side of the map and add the 'Refuel 250k' station to it and let it try and drive you there.

1 other thing recently noticed.
* If I simple place the cursor on the train from normal view, It lags down to ~45FPS as soon as the path arrows show up on the track.

[Edit: removed info about placing rail, as it's not relevant to the FPS issues with the UI]
Last edited by sorahn on Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by billbo99 »

On the multi-player server when someone is laying rail tracks the update count goes into the 20+. When they stop update count drops back to 6-8.

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by billbo99 »

I did a performance grab using Visual Studio attached is the Hot Path.
stuff

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

billbo99 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:06 pm
On the multi-player server when someone is laying rail tracks the update count goes into the 20+. When they stop update count drops back to 6-8.
Are you on the same server as sorahn?

sorahn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sorahn »

Yes he is.

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by billbo99 »

yup same server.

Placing 10-20 rails anywhere on the map was causing update to jump to 20+

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Rail placing is a different issue than what was reported here - this is about FPS drop in the locomotive UI.

Rail placing being slow when there are huge rail networks with lots of trains is already a known thing that I don't currently have a solution for.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Duplicate: 84766
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Return to “Duplicates”