[0.17.36] Refinery 'leaks' crude oil out of the input

Things that has been reported already before.
Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.17.36] Refinery 'leaks' crude oil out of the input

Post by Boogieman14 »

I'm setting up my refineries. Currently using the basic oil processing recipe, so both inputs accept crude oil, but already preparing the water pipes for advanced processing later. In the pipes connected to the left-side inputs, I see a small amount of crude oil. I'm very sure I haven't had those pipes connected to the crude oil, so it can only be leakage from the refineries: (note: outputs weren't connected yet, after i connected them, the leakage was cleaned up quickly)

savegame (all mods come from mod portal, but loading without mods shouldn't cause any issues)

On a related note, I'm wondering if the left input should simply be disabled for the basic oil processing recipe. That way, if you're upgrading to advanced processing later, you already have the correct input for crude oil (and you could even easily switch back and forth between basic and advanced, which isn't possible anymore now that the game prevents incompatible fluids mixing)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.36] Refinery 'leaks' crude oil out of the input

Post by boskid »

Tested without mods. Only way i could reproduce leaks is by clearing recipe from oil refinery. This way internal crude oil buffer (200 units of crude oil) was pushed back to inputs (100 units per connector). This volume of crude oil gives about 5 units per pipe in your setup, but may be then consumed partialy by oil refinery when recipe is set back (in my case, it dropped to 2.8 crude oil, close enough)

I think that you did something like this:
1/ setup refineries
2/ copy recipe using shift+RMB/shift+LMB (when holding shift with cursor over oil refinery, there is green marker on leftmost oil refinery - it shows you were using it as source for copying)
3/ one oil refinery was somehow cleared of recipe - this way crude oil was pushed back to both inputs
4/ then you set recipe back - this consumed some of crude oil

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeanoa »

As soon as you connect the second pipe network, it is confirmed as a crude oil pipe internally, since mixing fluids is no longer permitted.
When I tried a similar setup, I was not able to connect the second pipe, which already had water in it, to a crude oil input.
I'm not sure if this is intended with the new separation system, as normally, input do not output anything into the network. so mixing should not happen to begin with.

My questions for Dominik:
Was it an intentional design choice to forbid connecting pipes with fluids to an input that does not accept that liquid?
Was it an intentional design choice that liquids are pushed out of a different/secondary input into a pipe that was previously empty?

For me, the first one makes sense, but I think the second one should not happen.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

boskid wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:46 am
3/ one oil refinery was somehow cleared of recipe - this way crude oil was pushed back to both inputs
Your analysis sounds plausible, although it's somewhat unexpected behaviour (after all, when you clear the recipe when there's no pipes connected, the fluid simply disappears from the refinery). I suppose it would be avoidable by removing the left crude oil input.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Dominik »

Hi
The reason is as they wrote above - canceling the recipe which empties the fluidbox to neighbours.
Aside that, it is a frequent complaint, e.g. here 66545. Repeatedly the issue is that people know the game too well and build water connections where there is no water input.

Return to “Duplicates”