[.17.11] Sudden and irreversible FPS drop on Macbook Pro

Things that has been reported already before.
McThrill
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[.17.11] Sudden and irreversible FPS drop on Macbook Pro

Post by McThrill »

I was playing the game last night, and had a crash for the first time that I can remember. Upon restarting the game the next day, I found that I was suddenly getting only a third or less of my usual FPS. I am on a late-2013 MBP, system specs to follow the description.

Prior to the crash, I have been able to play every version of the game from .14 through the 17.10 experimental at 60FPS/60UPS. Obviously I start to get lag when I approach megabase terrain on my aging computer, but overall performance of this game has been incredibly stable and lag-free.

After the crash, I now have a maximum FPS of 24, although UPS remains at 60. The ~20 FPS is constant in the entire game - starting a new game, with no placed structures or explored territory, also runs at 20 FPS. Previous saves run at 20 FPS. I have tried rolling back to previous versions, and .17.10 and .17.9 also run at max 20FPS. I am at a loss as to what could cause this to happen, the game seems to be completely borked. I have even deleted and re-installed the game from scratch, brand new save files start at 24FPS.

System specs:

Late 2013 Macbook Pro (15 inch, retina display,)
Mac OSX 10.13.6
2 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Intel Iris Pro 1536MB

Hard drive currently has almost 40 GB of free space on it.

Most recent log file: https://pastebin.com/MvTUjRVS

I would have posted the log file from the crash, but I didn't think to save it before restarting several times. I do have automatic error reporting turned on, though, so you guys have it somewhere - just not anywhere it cn help with this post :P

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [.17.11] Sudden and irreversible FPS drop on Macbook Pro

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report.

In 0.17.12 there will be graphics option "Render in native screen resolution"; it should be disabled by default on your Macbook. If disabled, the game won't be rendered in native Retina resolution anymore, which is how 0.16 behaved; it should greatly improve rendering performance for you.

macOS must have picked on changes in application metadata as it crashed and started launching it in native Retina resolution.

Duplicate: 66985

McThrill
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [.17.11] Sudden and irreversible FPS drop on Macbook Pro

Post by McThrill »

That's great to hear, thank you! Knew I could count on you guys to have a quick fix.

Return to “Duplicates”