[0.11.1] Map upload speed limited

Things that has been reported already before.
Dagobert
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.11.1] Map upload speed limited

Post by Dagobert »

Playing Factorio via MP we noticed that the ingamesavegame-upload was limited to about 30 kb/sec what is extreeeeeemely slow for larger maps (we were already 6-10 hours into the game - with just a few crashes).

Any chance to fix that/is there a workaround?

Thanks,
Dagobert

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.11.1] Map upload speed limited

Post by Rseding91 »

The upload speed is limited by your connection to the other client. If you can't upload fast enough or the latency is too high for them to reliably receive the downloaded files it slows.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

The map upload speed can also be limited by our upload mechanism, though we have done quite some work on this one and it should work fine up to pretty much the speed limit.

gqren
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gqren »

I seem to be having the same problem regarding upload speed. It seems it can't reach higher sppeds than 30 kB/s on my Wireless 100 mbit LAN.

noisy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by noisy »

same here.. sending map to peers take like extreme amounts of time :/ and i cant imagine that its my connection problem.. few hours in to the game and map upload takes several minutes per player

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Its also taking me and my friend quite a while, 20 minutes in so far and the bar is about 75% done.
Just last night it took him only 10-20 seconds to join the game, and we didn't play for much of an extended period of time nor explore a huge portion of the map.
My download is 120+mbits/s, and upload is 12+mbits/s (speedtest.net)
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

Dagobert
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dagobert »

Rseding91 wrote:The upload speed is limited by your connection to the other client. If you can't upload fast enough or the latency is too high for them to reliably receive the downloaded files it slows.
Thanks, but rest assured that I know about my own capabilities of uploading and downloading ;) I feel like being on one of those rare calls with my internet provider where I somehow have to show them that I know the simple tricks like "have you tried turning it off and on again" :lol:

Seriously: Great game, great and unbevlievably stable multiplayer - fixing the upload problem would be a great workaround for most other bugs for now (because otherwise, reloading a large map needs about 10-50 minutes - what noone is willing to wait every time a desync/reload/crash happens => guys stop playing or hopefully start a new session). For know we worked around that issue by limiting the map size.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Every time rolling desync/freeze happen i close game, delete replay from save and let everyone connect again, so we'll have at least bit faster reload.

Dagobert
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dagobert »

cpy wrote:Every time rolling desync/freeze happen i close game, delete replay from save and let everyone connect again, so we'll have at least bit faster reload.

thats a great tip, thanks! :)

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Return to “Duplicates”