[0.13.20] Saving failed prompt and inventory window break

Things that has been reported already before.
ojrask
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.13.20] Saving failed prompt and inventory window break

Post by ojrask »

Hello

I'm using 0.13.20 stable.

The game displays a prompt about file rename warning regarding params p1 and p2 when a save file is not writable for some reason. This prompt can be closed by clicking "OK". The game is not playable until "OK" is clicked.

If by some chance you manage to open your inventory at the same time an autosave is initiated, when the autosave fails and shows the said prompt, it is rendered under the inventory window. I cannot move the window as the game is locked until I press "OK" on the prompt which is under the inventory window.

The character can move when in this locked state, but all mouse and keyboard input is disabled until the prompt's "OK" button is clicked. This results in a situation where the only way to close the game is to end the process via the operating system.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.13.20] Saving failed prompt and inventory window break

Post by daniel34 »

For reference: [0.14.8] Cryptic message while saving game

The error message has changed between 0.13.20 and 0.14.14 (experimental) but I didn't manage to have the error message rendered under the inventory window on any of these versions. Is there something specific you are doing and can you post a screenshot?

In 0.13.20:
file-locked-0.13.20.png
file-locked-0.13.20.png (53.59 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
In 0.14.14:
file-locked-0.14.14.png
file-locked-0.14.14.png (30.15 KiB) Viewed 1696 times
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

ojrask
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ojrask »

Hello. Yes, that's the same prompt in your 0.13 picture.

I think it relates to timing, I guess you had your inventory open for a while before the prompt appeared? I pressed "E" just as the autosave kicked in, but can't confirm whether that is the reason. I'll try to reproduce and take a screenshot if this happens again.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Game GUIs over error messages is a known issue that will be addressed at some point.

The rename error is a different issue. Most likely something on your system is locking access to the file(s) so Factorio can't rename them. What AV do you have (if any)?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

In the thread Daniel linked, one of the people was using CrashPlan backup service, which started backing up Factorio temporary save as soon as it was created, and Factorio could not rename it to normal save path.

I added 5 retry attempts before it shows the error. So is this still a problem in 0.14.14?

ojrask
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ojrask »

Rseding91: Yes, I know the save rename issue comes from CrashPlan locking the files as it backs them up. Not a big issue as I can usually wait a few minutes for it to do its thing and then save again. Not a game breaking issue for me at least. :)

Good to know this is UI thing known and being worked on.

Return to “Duplicates”