[1.1.42] Mining to remove ground tile under structures erases the structure

Things that has been reported already before.
Teura
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.42] Mining to remove ground tile under structures erases the structure

Post by Teura »

Space exploration allows you to put space scaffolding to space, to allow building stuff over the emptiness. The scaffolding can be mined via right-click with scaffolding in hand, and doing this just erases every single object that was over said scaffolding. It doesn't drop to the ground, it doesn't go to inventory, it just vanishes.

Same in pictures. This is a 2x2 storage box, just for demonstration. Same happens with every building.
Bug1.jpg
Bug1.jpg (76.91 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
Now, we take scaffolding to our hand, and then right-click to mine it.
bug2.jpg
bug2.jpg (72.22 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
It removed scaffolding from underneath the box, and the box vanished. It's not in inventory, not on the ground or anywhere else. All contents would be lost, if there were any, or if the object would be a belt.
Bug3.jpg
Bug3.jpg (86.57 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
What I expect is that the object would first try to be placed to inventory along with its contents, then maybe to the ground if possible. Or alternatively it'd prevent me from mining the scaffolding as it has stuff on it. Not disappear completely, especially as I found this by an accident while placing more scaffolding and accidentally right-clicking when it was over a belt section.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(51.4 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.42] Mining to remove ground tile under structures erases the structure

Post by MEOWMI »

It does say in red for the scaffolding item that tile changes may remove the entity on top of it.

Yes, I agree it should not happen. I'm sure it's because of a Factorio limitation. I do hope it is fixable somehow but I'm not necessarily holding my breath.

Teura
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Teura »

Well, I didn't even know beforehand that it's possible to mine tiles this way until accidentally right-clicking. I always assumed that warning meant when I was deliberately doing something, like changing the scaffolding to the better one when a building was on top of it. Which doesn't really make sense to lose a building that way, but still. Never thought that a simple missclick would make my buildings completely vanish if done in a wrong place.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Well, only the scaffolding was holding the entity in place. Now that you removed that the entity has drifted off into space. You better go to your rocket ship and chase it. :)

Same happens with placing waterfill under entities that belong on land or landfill under entities that belong on water. Even more fun: Try it under the player.

I believe there is an event that things are about to be removed or destroyed. You could try catching that and then spill the colliding entities.

Return to “Duplicates”