[0.16.36] Items being placed wrong on underground belts

Things that has been reported already before.
Ralimist
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.16.36] Items being placed wrong on underground belts

Post by Ralimist »

bug.png
bug.png (1.37 MiB) Viewed 2916 times
As you can see the items are being placed on the opposite lane of (input) underground belts.

I do have an idea why this is happening, the calculation for where an item ends up on the belt is not taking into account the direction type of underground belts; this might be an easy fix if that's the case.

This will break some builds but I belive it's something worth fixing.

Edit: updated picture
Last edited by Ralimist on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ralimist
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.16.36] Items being placed wrong on underground belts

Post by Ralimist »

I don't belive this is a duplicate

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Inserters facing the parallel to a belt always put items on the right-hand side.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Ralimist
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ralimist »

Jap2.0 wrote:Inserters facing the parallel to a belt always put items on the right-hand side.
I know, but look at where you insert into the input part of an underground belt; the item gets placed on the opposite lane

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I don't think so. In every case in your image, items end up on the right hand side of the belt, from the belt's perspective. When you reverse the belt direction, you also swap which side is the belt's right hand side.

Ralimist
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ralimist »

Zavian wrote:I don't think so. In every case in your image, items end up on the right hand side of the belt, from the belt's perspective. When you reverse the belt direction, you also swap which side is the belt's right hand side.
Maybe this isn't a bug but rather an inconsistency IMO
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (775.59 KiB) Viewed 2906 times
As you can see, if the belt is perpendicular to a miner/inserter, the items get placed on the south lane (in the case of mining drills)/north lane (in the case of inserters), but if the belt is parallel to the miner/inserter, the items get placed on the right lane from the belts perspective. I would argue that in the latter situatuion (belt is parrallel) it would be better if the items would get placed on the right lane globally (east lane).

This is just my opinion though, what do you guys think?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

I agree. It makes no sense that inserters and miners suddenly put items on the other side just because you reverse the direction of the belt.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Inserters place on the far side of the belt. Drills drop on the near side. When the belt runs towards/away from the drill or inserter, then they place on the right side of the belt (from the belts perspective). That's the way the game works. A lot of factories would be broken by changing which side of the belt inserters drop onto. But this isn't a bug, at most it belongs in ideas/suggestions.

Ralimist
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ralimist »

Zavian wrote:Inserters place on the far side of the belt. Drills drop on the near side. When the belt runs towards/away from the drill or inserter, then they place on the right side of the belt (from the belts perspective). That's the way the game works. A lot of factories would be broken by changing which side of the belt inserters drop onto. But this isn't a bug, at most it belongs in ideas/suggestions.
I agree, as I said:
Ralimist wrote:Maybe this isn't a bug but rather an inconsistency IMO
But just to be clear:
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (1.64 MiB) Viewed 2890 times
The change I propose is:
if belt/underground belt direction opposite of inserter/drill direction then put item on the other lane

Return to “Duplicates”