Circuit network rounds down causing pumps to stop too soon

Things that has been reported already before.
TyrHeimdal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Circuit network rounds down causing pumps to stop too soon

Post by TyrHeimdal »

[0.16.12]
Connecting circuit network to train station to read train contents rounds down values from fluid wagons. This causes pumps to stop to soon and can often lead to non-empty wagons. This is a problem for multi-fluid stations.

Mouseover a wagon shows 0.7 Oil, circuit network rounds down and shows 0. Pump with "Oil > 0" condition stops too soon and leaves the player with a non-empty wagon.

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Circuit network rounds down causing pumps to stop too soon

Post by golfmiketango »

That's never going to be accepted as a bug because it's working as designed. Unlike many other software bug reporting fora, this one maintains a strict separation between bug reports (where the game is glitching out) and feature requests (where the game works right, but you want them to make "right" functioning of the game be different somehow).

But, I should mention that in my opinion, it is rather annoying that there is no way to tell if a tank is empty or not in circuits.

So, really, you're making a feature request here.

Only problem with your feature request, is you have stated what you don't want to happen, but not what you do want to happen. This is like showing up for a protest against "evil corporations" with no alternative proposal for how the economy should work; cathartic, perhaps, but not terribly effective.

To fix this, you might suggest such solutions as: removing tanks from the game, making them non-circuit-connectible, always rounding up, making fluids measure in discrete quantities only, making circuit networks floating-point, removing fluids from factorio entirely, representing fractional fluid quantities less than one as -(2^31), etc.

Once we have a particular proposal to talk about, then we can get to the part where everyone shoots it down and tells you you're crazy and you don't need it. Until then it's hard to be sure :)

Also, welcome to the factorio.com forums! Judging by your post I think you will like it here.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Welcome to the fluid hell but you also need to queue at the end of this line.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

TyrHeimdal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TyrHeimdal »

golfmiketango wrote: Also, welcome to the factorio.com forums! Judging by your post I think you will like it here.
Thanks! Looking forward to getting all my brilliant ideas shot down by even more brilliant people! :D
golfmiketango wrote: Only problem with your feature request, is you have stated what you don't want to happen, but not what you do want to happen. This is like showing up for a protest against "evil corporations" with no alternative proposal for how the economy should work; cathartic, perhaps, but not terribly effective.
To fix this, you might suggest such solutions as: removing tanks from the game, making them non-circuit-connectible, always rounding up, making fluids measure in discrete quantities only, making circuit networks floating-point, removing fluids from factorio entirely, representing fractional fluid quantities less than one as -(2^31), etc.
I agree. So desired behavior would be at least to not ever report non-empty containers as "0". It could do a roof rounding for either all values or as a minimum all values < 1.

TyrHeimdal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TyrHeimdal »

Zavian wrote:Also see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49274 .
Thanks, I see that I'm not the first one with this problem... I'm close to start using only barrels because of this ^^

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

TyrHeimdal wrote:
Zavian wrote:Also see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49274 .
Thanks, I see that I'm not the first one with this problem... I'm close to start using only barrels because of this ^^
Did you try the mentioned mod? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49274&start=80#p334969

I would like to hear a Review.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

By the way, I think the best fix for this is to put a one-tick delay (an Each-0⇒Each combinator will do it) on the readout, anything showing fumes-or-empty last tick is almost certainly empty this tick. Think of it as a cleanup step, it's only necessary if you're switching fluids.

Return to “Duplicates”