[15.37] Mining drill accepts wrong fluid

Things that has been reported already before.
dewiniaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[15.37] Mining drill accepts wrong fluid

Post by dewiniaid »

I accidentally connected a water line to some uranium miners. They filled with water.

This is inconsistent with the behavior for refineries, chemical plants and assemblers which will only accept accept the fluid if they match a fluid required for the selected recipe -- this being despite the fact that the box that shows fluid levels shows a ghosted "Sulfuric Acid" when empty.

Possibly related to this fixed-in-0.16 bug: [Klonan] [0.15.34] Requires: 25 Water per 10 ore.

Edited to add: Did not test to see if the miner actually operates.
Last edited by dewiniaid on Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [15.37] Mining drill accepts wrong fluid

Post by impetus maximus »

don't feed it the wrong fluid.
not a bug.
try a search next time please.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Image:

Mining drills on uranium act like pipes and tanks. They don't magically filter the liquid.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

dewiniaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dewiniaid »

impetus maximus wrote:don't feed it the wrong fluid.
not a bug.
I did try search, how do you think I found the possibly-related post? No need to be hostile here.

Also, it may still be worthy of being called a bug if only due to the lack of consistency between mining drills and every other item in the game that requires a specific fluid.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

if you felt that was hostile, you won't be hearing from me again.

good day to you.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

dewiniaid wrote:
impetus maximus wrote:don't feed it the wrong fluid.
not a bug.
It may still be worthy of being called a bug if only due to the lack of consistency between mining drills and every other item in the game that requires a specific fluid.
The thing is, other items that use fluids simply consume it and create a product. Mining drills can also send fluid to adjacent pipes, mining drills, pumps, etc., which is quite a bit different. Chemical plants, assembly machines, and refineries all basically act like assembly machines, just with an added fluid input and/or output. Mining drills act like a pipe or tank that occasionally consumes fluid, so adding filtering to that would fundamentally change how uranium mining works. Also, if you have water in your sulfuric acid pipes, water entering your mining drills isn't your only problem....
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

I don't see the op's request as unreasonable.
Chemical plants can be used to send fluids through their input and output fluid boxes if set to a recipe with a single fluid in/output and have the added benefit of letting only fluids set in the recipe pass.
You can use this behavior to pipe multiple fluids through one pipeline and filter them at the end. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51047&p=304135&hili ... er#p297530

The problem with drills is that they operate similarly to furnaces with automatically set recipes. I would welcome having to set a drill to a specific mining recipe on a multi ore patch. That would also fix miners covering uranium requiring sulfuric acid to mine other ores.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Hi Optera,

I'm dreaming of a mod which watches a selected Multi ore miner for output and if the ore changes it will be deconstucted and rebuild in milliseconds by script to mine the right ore again.

Downside: you loose one of the wrong ore because it must be destroyed by script to prevent mixing of ores.

Greetings, steinio.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

steinio wrote:Hi Optera,

I'm dreaming of a mod which watches a selected Multi ore miner for output and if the ore changes it will be deconstucted and rebuild in milliseconds by script to mine the right ore again.

Downside: you loose one of the wrong ore because it must be destroyed by script to prevent mixing of ores.

Greetings, steinio.
Without an on_crafting_finished event I don't see how that could be made ups friendly.

With the current api the most ups friendly way to achieve pure mining is to have a dedicated miner per ore e.g. "Copper mining drill".
In on_built you store all non copper ores in global.pure_miner[unit_number] = {ore_type, richness, position}
In on_removed place the ores back from the table to the map and remove the entry for that entity.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Post on the referenced bug report, not on the duplicate please.

Return to “Duplicates”