Friday Facts #81 - Chain signals

Regular reports on Factorio development.
SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #81 Chain signals

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

Better Crossings I come!

transportman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by transportman »

Looks interesting, just two questions regarding the chain signals:
Lets say I have 2 tracks that merge into one track, what will be the behavior in the following cases:
  • Both incoming signals are chain signals. Will it behave just like the normal signals, with the added function that the next signal should also be green?
  • Only the highlighted signal is a chain signal. Would that basically result in some sort of priority for the normal signal track when there is congestion on the merged line?
Also, regarding graphics for the new signals, maybe instead of the round ones for normal signals, use the arrows pointing in the direction of the signal?
Attachments
Signal
Signal
signals.png (969.32 KiB) Viewed 7700 times
Last edited by transportman on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

kovarex wrote:
JackGruff wrote:So the only difference is that these chain signals will chain only to the exit the train wants whereas openTTD's pre-signals let the train go through the first available green exit?
Probably yes, and some other smaller differences.
So, I'll easily get a situation,
where one train is allowed to pass the chain signal,
while another one with a different destination won't be?

I guess there's no construct from the real world to use / mimic,
since there trains are controlled by the lights and junctions (and not the other way around)

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

MF- wrote:
kovarex wrote:
JackGruff wrote:So the only difference is that these chain signals will chain only to the exit the train wants whereas openTTD's pre-signals let the train go through the first available green exit?
Probably yes, and some other smaller differences.
So, I'll easily get a situation,
where one train is allowed to pass the chain signal,
while another one with a different destination won't be?
Yes, OpenTTD's PBS works the same way. There aren't really any complaints, you can simply build a pararell line and let the train which can proceed into the junction overtake the train which can't.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

The functionality is allright.

The thing I'm worried about is the representation of such train signal.
Having trains pass red light is just as odd as stopping on a green one.
Also I expect trouble figuring out which exit=regular signal is responsible for the train stopping.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

PBS solves this by showing the trains that may pass a green light and those who can't a red light. Otherwise they are temporarily red. I imagine chain signals would do the same, perhaps they'd be normally always green unless there is no green exit ahead.

It's never shown in OpenTTD why a train waiting at a path signal is waiting; nobody complains. It's normally instantly obvious when you consider where the train comes from and where it wants to go.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cordylus wrote: I know the similar constructions in the real life:
This is cool.the extra light could indicate:
- non/off: all outgoing signals are green, too
- yellow: one, but not all of the outgoing signals are red
- red: all outgoing signals are red

The extra yellow light indicates then together with the red signal light, that there are free paths, but not for this train. And the red extra light indicates: there is some kind of complete jam somewhere behind this point.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Very interesting Friday facts this time. :D I love the number stats and comparisons.
The chain signals look very interesting too. Trying to figure them out makes my brain hurt, so I know it's good. :lol:
Image Image Image

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I may be a minority in the Factorio players' community, but I'm not that thrilled about the new signals. Trains already seem so complicated to me I didn't even try to get into building railroads. I love the automation aspect of Factorio, but I'm not specially interested in building and programming a huge rail system. I'd be a lot more interested in some kind of simplification, like I throw my trains on rails, and the game computes itself the good way to schedule them so that it all works, so that I can focus on my factory.

Another way I'd say it : I 'd rather play Factorio, with trains to link far outposts, and not Railorio, a train simulation where I have a factory and outposts just to justify the need of trains.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, I think the v0.12 will be a big step into that direction, cause you get the personal roboport. https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =30#p75937

I think creating rails will be a lot easier with that. I hope that I can just drag a line (connect these 2 points with a rail) and the game draws the rest for me.
I also hope, that the signal-blocks are then better visible, cause it is easy to make mistakes. And many more of such relatively simple but programming time consuming stuff...

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Koub wrote:I may be a minority in the Factorio players' community, but I'm not that thrilled about the new signals. Trains already seem so complicated to me I didn't even try to get into building railroads. I love the automation aspect of Factorio, but I'm not specially interested in building and programming a huge rail system. I'd be a lot more interested in some kind of simplification, like I throw my trains on rails, and the game computes itself the good way to schedule them so that it all works, so that I can focus on my factory.

Another way I'd say it : I 'd rather play Factorio, with trains to link far outposts, and not Railorio, a train simulation where I have a factory and outposts just to justify the need of trains.
You're not gimping yourself in any way by not using trains since belts are about as effective.

I like that they're in the game though, they're fun.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, trains make sense, if
- we need a lot more resources than yet (20-200 times more).
- the resources are also a lot more far away.

Then they are the only alternative.

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nemoricus »

ssilk wrote:I think creating rails will be a lot easier with that. I hope that I can just drag a line (connect these 2 points with a rail) and the game draws the rest for me.
I also hope, that the signal-blocks are then better visible, cause it is easy to make mistakes. And many more of such relatively simple but programming time consuming stuff...
These would be great for reducing the work in building a rail network. Another useful change would be erasing the difference between curved and straight rails. Since the current recipes mean that four straight rails require exactly the same resources as one curved rail, just remove four rail pieces for every curved section you put down. Since the system should be smart about putting down curved vs. straight rail anyway, this would eliminate the problem of "Oh, I still have rail, but not the right type of rail".

Providing a means to easily remove obstacles in the path of the rail would help a great deal as well.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Daisy Town

Post by ssilk »

Luky Lukes vision about Factorio: https://youtu.be/behATRtihnw?t=51m45s

Cloner
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cloner »

Ohz wrote:Since you cannot make bridges and avoid crossings rails in Factorio, this totally essential. Thank you very much.

Oh and happy birthday :)
I really hope that tunnels or bridges get implemented for trains - this would solve a lot of trains deadlocks. The chain signals lock cool but im unsure if they will solve my problematic railways, where not only the crossings get blocked, but whole most polular sections are blocked.

kel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kel »

just remember to allow eletric pole-wires to be able to control rail signals.
i have nightmarish logistic problems with the trains and i hope being able to automaticly disable trains not in use would help.

Shaymes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Shaymes »

i love it i will start a new game with chain signals :)

i think we have to rename the base signal in main signal
Mining Drill Operator

Shaymes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Shaymes »

update update update update i like to play a new surrivle game and i wait for update update update
Mining Drill Operator

Zhall
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Zhall »

masat wrote:Wow, I didn't know Factorio will be the new TTD :D

I've been following the development for some time now. I didn't buy the game because I don't have the time to play it at the moment, anyway - but now that I've seen this you have sold one more copy ;) Hope it helps a little to make the process a bit faster
Hopefully...

I was pretty good at that game, but outside of the busybee mod, it got so damn boring

Karosieben
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #81 - Chain signals

Post by Karosieben »

So, i understand it right, that you can youse them with multiple-in and multiple-out?

For example:

You have a train depot with 3 platforms for unloading.

There are 2 tracks coming and you connect them vise-versa.

You have something like this:

Code: Select all

DEPOT

S S S
| | |
|\|/|
\ V /
 V V
 | |
 C C
 | |

INCOMING
S= Normal Signal
C = Chain Signal
| \ / V = Tracks

If any of the Signals is Green, the Chains also get green?

Regard,
Karo
My german YouTube Channel: Karosieben
My Factorio Let's Plays: Singleplayer, Multiplayer and Tutorials

Return to “News”