Friday Facts #365 - Future plans

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Friday Facts #365 - Future plans

Post by Koub »

An expansion to Factorio
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

what will it cost?

noksaek
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by noksaek »

I remember Factoryo's first planning of the Future Plan.
The protagonist who fell on an alien planet creates a rocket, goes out into space, and travels back to Earth.

Now it ends with only launching satellites into space.

I want to see the main character return to space and back to his hometown.

Saiph
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Saiph »

IMO the one big thing that could be improved is the presentation of the players' viewpoint. At the moment, Factorio is a relatively simple top-down 2D game with a square grid. Although the 'angled' presentation of the sprites makes it look 'semi-3D', it quickly becomes apparent that the perspective is incorrect, and this can be quite distracting.

Twenty-four years ago (February 1996), Civilization 2 was released by MicroProse, and it converted Civilization from Factorio-style flat, 2D graphics to an isometric viewpoint. It gave players a much more realistic view of the map and their surroundings, and made the game much more immersive. It was a revolution, and all versions of Civilization since have used the isometric viewpoint.

I would love to see a version of Factorio with this type of improved graphics.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Guys I know it's exciting and you want show your support and interest in the expansion, but please don't forget Wube sells games, not cheap GME stock. You don't get anything out of buying in early. They haven't let us down yet, but you never know.

Always remember:
742482_b.jpg
742482_b.jpg (97.4 KiB) Viewed 7359 times
If there is a preorder (which I hope there isn't - it wasn't even mentioned in the article?), please consider withholding. Yes, even when it's Factorio. And yeah, I do hope the expansion is awesome! But it still has to prove its value.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

Great news. The big DLC option is one of the 2 directions I'd have been really happy with, the other one being working on a new game of another genre. Thx again for putting this game to this high quality level ! Can't wait to buy the DLC :)

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

Drury wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:29 am
Yo Drury, first of all thank you for your posts over all the years, I ALWAYS enjoy reading from you so much. And specifically this post viewtopic.php?p=97937#p97937 is something I will probably remember forever.

Mods and overhauls for Factorio are truly impressive, but we are quite confident we can still add some great things. And conversely, mods will be able to build on top of those things even further!

We are very well aware how dangerous of a practice pre-ordering is, and we don't offer anything like that. For example, we definitely don't enjoy the idea of being "forced" to release something just because we've let people pay for it too soon, and now they want it ASAP, or anything along those lines.

Love, V

Morgul
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Morgul »

FactorioBot wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:28 am
Here it is! (beep boop)

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-365
I would suggest subscription based.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

A new game wouldn't need to be Factorio 2.
Maybe something completely different.

I'd love to see you take on something like ONI, lots of (pseudo) physics.
Because you care a lot about optimizing and that example is horrible when going big, nothing compared to Cracktorio

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Drury wrote:
[...]
Given the time I played Factorio, the high enjoyment level, and given what I've paid for, I wouldn't feel robbed even if I pre-paid for an expansion pack that never came.
Factorio is one of the very few games for which I got so much bang for my bucks that I wouldn't see preordering as a risk, but as an additional tip for what I got.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

sgolem
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by sgolem »

Is there any chance we could get a version for m1 macs?

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

Koub wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:42 am
Drury wrote:
[...]
Given the time I played Factorio, the high enjoyment level, and given what I've paid for, I wouldn't feel robbed even if I pre-paid for an expansion pack that never came.
Factorio is one of the very few games for which I got so much bang for my bucks that I wouldn't see preordering as a risk, but as an additional tip for what I got.
What he said.
And if I win euro lottery tonight, I would sponsor Wube. Not because of getting more moneyz back, but because I want to see more from them!

Factorio isn't just a game.
If you followed it over the years, it's optimization, feedback listened to, open minded mod API addons etc...
you know it's an experience.

futureman64
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by futureman64 »

i think you should do a console or phone release sort of like the early release days of minecraft on console where you had limited maps to help with performance if needed that way if the hardwere is not powerful enough you chould update it later

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

V453000 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:36 am
Drury wrote:
Yo Drury, first of all thank you for your posts over all the years, I ALWAYS enjoy reading from you so much. And specifically this post viewtopic.php?p=97937#p97937 is something I will probably remember forever.

Mods and overhauls for Factorio are truly impressive, but we are quite confident we can still add some great things. And conversely, mods will be able to build on top of those things even further!

We are very well aware how dangerous of a practice pre-ordering is, and we don't offer anything like that. For example, we definitely don't enjoy the idea of being "forced" to release something just because we've let people pay for it too soon, and now they want it ASAP, or anything along those lines.

Love, V
Don't worry guys, I know it doesn't mean much coming from a random dude just sticking around typing posts, but all these years I've been typing them I put nothing behind them but pure love - even spicy ones like this and the time I called your cool color correction update the worst thing that's ever happened to the game (and I still stand by that!).

Gabe Newell said a funny sentence once - "we can't eat marshmallows all the time". I like to think I'm bringing veggies to the table, even if just to help me feel better about typing all the horrible things I do. What I'm trying to say is - no hard feelings whatsoever, not now, not ever. Right now I'm just honestly curious. An expansion is not a bad plan, like I said I had the same idea too and so did everyone else it seems, but I thought about it for a moment and I'm instantly seeing a problem. So naturally I thought I'd share my take.

About preorders, I had a hunch you guys wouldn't go that way. Kovarex wouldn't let that happen, right? He's always been vocal about anti-consumer practices like that. But people got hyped nonetheless, so I just wanted to give a heads-up about it.

Xarovin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Xarovin »

I'm glad Factorio 2 isn't on the table as the current version is too well refined (Path of Exile is the same, PoE 2.0 is just going to be a massive expansion on the base game).

Expansions sound a cool idea though, I would like if it could tie into the main game though. For example, if it was a scenario set on a new planet with different items and tech, have a way to travel between the two planets.

Adael
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Adael »

This is so great!!! I'm totally in. Thank you. You're awesome!

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

V453000 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:36 am
Drury wrote:

Love, V
Maybe you should concentrate on adding things the modders will never be able to add on their lonesome. Things like: an even better and easier modding and scripting guide (including graphic creator/editor) that is directly integrated into the base game and now part of a turbo-charged Editor, game-integrated video tutorials about modding made by the devs, better support for soft modding without mods, and so on.

If you do that the game would never run out of content as long there is Humanity on Earth.

Galandros
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Galandros »

I am perfectly happy with having Factorio crystallized feature wise, receiving only fixes and small updates mostly for modding, minor QOL and optimizations. As long the modding community is alive, they will cover everything to make this game ever lasting.

Considering your options, personally, I prefer big expansions like in the old RTS days but I trust you with doing small worthwhile DLCs.

My wish was that Wube would start brainstorming and developing a new simulation game in the foreseeable future. As long you find something worthwhile, you have talent to pull off other masterpiece in the likes of Oxygen Not Included or sci fi Dwarf Fortress and reinvent the colony management sub-genre with a more robot massive automated twist or something. Or look more into the boundaries of existing games and reinvent them into something great. Even something really original if it can be made to be good and scratch some itch we never knew.

Glitch0011
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Glitch0011 »

Hey, just to point out the obvious.

You're allowed to do other stuff. Option 5 is to make a new game, something different to Factorio, using the loyalty you've built as a studio as the launch-pad.

boksiora
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by boksiora »

After the DLC, please make new game, FactrioCraft 2 :)

Return to “News”