Friday Facts #364 - 1.1 stable

Regular reports on Factorio development.
libik
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #364 - 1.1 stable

Post by libik »

About saving time - could you just create image of what-you-want-to-save in memory first and then continue the game? Then compressing it and saving to disk in background without affecting gameplay?

FasterJump
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FasterJump »

-Smart belt building
OMG finally, thank you. Simple details like the old clumsy belt rotation is what put off new players.

-Multithreaded belts
I am curious about the desync problem. If I understand correctly, a specific setup (2 items arriving at the same time) could produce different results (which one arrives first) depending on hidden code mechanic. So, If I copy paste / flip(yey!) the blueprint across the map, in some places the copper plate will be first and in some places it will be the iron plate (all players getting the same set of results). It seems that it is impossible to circumvent because of loops...

Can't wait to try the new train GUI!

T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by T-A-R »

Congrats on reaching another stable version. And Thanks for sharing the save file.

cydapb
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cydapb »

boskid wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:56 am
11-office-playing-m.zip is at 41h 18min
11-office-playing-af.zip is at 86h 17min

When loading those save files in 1.1.19 there may be some migration artifacts related to transport lines around underground belts, just do not use those saves for benchmarking purposes.

Enjoy :)
Thank you very much. :D

KnightViper18
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KnightViper18 »

Just have to say this... Factorio devs, you guys are legends! ❤

FasterJump
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FasterJump »

I tried the new smart belt building.

Is it possible to keep the feature active without having to press R repetitively? Basically I would like to be able to make turns without having to press R every time. I tried to keep R pressed while turning but the key has to be released and pressed again every time. Maybe a mod could emulate the repeated pressing of the key R while belts are selected? R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R. It would be seamless. What do you think?

This is an example of how effortless it could be:
Attachments
Placing belt while pressing RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Placing belt while pressing RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
factorio_belts_turns.gif (12.67 MiB) Viewed 7710 times

dahhakd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dahhakd »

Thank you guys, you're amazing. This release is truly outstanding!

SYCLOPS
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SYCLOPS »

boskid wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:56 am
11-office-playing-m.zip is at 41h 18min
11-office-playing-af.zip is at 86h 17min

When loading those save files in 1.1.19 there may be some migration artifacts related to transport lines around underground belts, just do not use those saves for benchmarking purposes.

Enjoy :)
I just wanted to point out this solar farm in the office playtest maps that were provided in this thread
playtestmaplogo.jpg
playtestmaplogo.jpg (157.4 KiB) Viewed 7620 times

StormWhisper
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by StormWhisper »

Train GUI needs a function to rename all stations with the same name at once. Those icons are the best!
upd And train limit settings
Last edited by StormWhisper on Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

SYCLOPS wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:09 am

I just wanted to point out this solar farm in the office playtest maps that were provided in this thread

playtestmaplogo.jpg
I want one of those as well! It looks so cool 8-)
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

Monara
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Monara »

Wube's next project: reFactorio. It's actually just the source code of Factorio and the goal of the game is to keep tearing out stuff and rebuilding it because it became a bottleneck.

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

libik wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:06 am
About saving time - could you just create image of what-you-want-to-save in memory first and then continue the game? Then compressing it and saving to disk in background without affecting gameplay?
As I remember, saves that works this way: copy save data to memory now, save later, while game continue running, were implemented for some non windows version a few years ago. There was a comment, that same does not work well for Windows, due to some OS restriction. It was still possible to turn this feature on, by changing some LUA variable, and it was working very fast. But was disabled a few betas later.

Now, when all bugs are gone, I really do not understand why not to copy save data to memory, and launch save to file in another thread. I think, copying in memory about 100 MB should take less then several ticks, isn't it? I might be mistaken, and data copy takes more time...

Just checked. For me, typical save, have about 15-20Mb size, and hold inside about 3 times more raw save data.

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

Is it ppossible to make same trick for fluids ?

I mean, every pipe system now, has his "own" fluid defined. So it is somewhat closed, and every new bit is connecting is checked. So it looks to me,there is a chance to have many nuclear reactors, in their own compute thread. Which means a new meta for mega factoriies. Buy Epic/Threadripper processor and build nuclear plants instead of wast field of solars.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

gGeorg wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:44 am
Is it ppossible to make same trick for fluids ?

I mean, every pipe system now, has his "own" fluid defined.
Yes, we already did it for fludis, each pipe system is updated independently in as many threads and possible

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

FasterJump wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:10 am
I tried the new smart belt building.

Is it possible to keep the feature active without having to press R repetitively? Basically I would like to be able to make turns without having to press R every time. I tried to keep R pressed while turning but the key has to be released and pressed again every time. Maybe a mod could emulate the repeated pressing of the key R while belts are selected? R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R R. It would be seamless. What do you think?

This is an example of how effortless it could be:
I've tried that mod. It generally was a pain. Belts don't need to turn that often.

casset
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by casset »

thanks... ive been waiting for that BP Flip.. Good Job my dear developers, worth for every cent spent.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Looking forward to "more on that next week".
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

donny
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by donny »

I love you guys for the Stations Tab. I always have a hard time finding stuff in my megabases because my memory is so bad. Gotta try it right now!

Return to “News”