Friday Facts #363 - 1.1 is getting close

Regular reports on Factorio development.
5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #363 - 1.1 is getting close

Post by 5thHorseman »

Ambaire wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:41 am
Can you put items into the inserter hand?
I've not used 1.1 yet, but from what I read, yes you will be able to do that.
Mythoss wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:04 am
Another patch goes by with basically zero new content. *Yawn*
:shock:

You could at least admit that the new content (that is there) is merely stuff you don't care about.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Mythoss wrote:
?
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:22 am
Mythoss wrote:
?
The devs are just a lazy bunch doing nothing. Probably playing satisfactory the whole day long.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Impatient wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:25 am
The devs are just a lazy bunch doing nothing. Probably playing satisfactory the whole day long.
Well I’m sorry they aren’t developing fast enough for you. Do you realize they don’t work for you? They aren’t obligated to make any updates at all.

I think the game is plenty finished as it is, and 1.1 brings some very positive game-changing features.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

AmericanPatriot wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:37 am
Impatient wrote:
Well I’m sorry they aren’t developing fast enough for you. Do you realize they don’t work for you? They aren’t obligated to make any updates at all.

I think the game is plenty finished as it is, and 1.1 brings some very positive game-changing features.
Ah, you just don't know me. Satire hello? ;)

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Impatient wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:41 am
AmericanPatriot wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:37 am
Impatient wrote:

Ah, you just don't know me. ;) Satire hello?
Oh I thought it was the original mythos guy again: didn’t look at the poster.

TheoMarque
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheoMarque »

New features are in mods. Is not bad idea if devs can integrate mods into main game (with mod author permission).

Mythoss
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mythoss »

TheoMarque wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:57 pm
New features are in mods. Is not bad idea if devs can integrate mods into main game (with mod author permission).
Yeah! In fact people should stop developing games all together! Lets all just play Garry's Mod!

Yenz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Yenz »

Really can't wait for 1.1 :roll: :mrgreen:

TatsuZZMage
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TatsuZZMage »

Idea for Belt building in line have "scroll lock" be the enable disable key for it. ^_~

T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by T-A-R »

The inserter slot keeps me tinkering about what usecases it solves. We're about to lose a neat little interface to a lot of blur: We're not there yet, as a filter inserter will need some third panel to select the filters.

Agreed its a cleaner way to manually clear a inserter (instead of rotating/replacing it), and ctrl-clicking a bunch is even elegant, but 9/10 times it simply blocks alot of view.
Every single inserter you adjust in the factory will need to be adjusted blind (mentioning LN bot malls and CN train stations as examples where it is useful to have oversight when programming smart inserters).

The entire function has no effect on the cause of clogged inserters, how to prevent it, or how to predict any reliability. With the current small menu you could already see the item in the stuck inserter itself. The status indicator nontheless is more helpful in the start of a investigation about inserter mechanics. It functions "as an" error code.

In a game like this you come to a point of complexity where external sources like wiki or the forum become more valuable then any interface. It seem to be the modern interactive variant of the booklet mother-manuals that classic games came with. Fix, prevent, automate. Making manual fixes more fluent somewhat can lure you into becoming slave to your own machine.

Edit, related suggestion, can we keep the selection box of inserters/chests/combinators active when the interface is up (useful in clusters).

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

T-A-R wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:30 pm
In a game like this you come to a point of complexity where external sources like wiki or the forum become more valuable then any interface.
oh god please no, if you want that, go play Terraria. I never check wiki or forum for information in Factorio, the UI is so nice.

this forum has too many people trying to preach how the game should be, can we just wait and see what the devs do?

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MiniHerc »

T-A-R wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:30 pm
The inserter slot keeps me tinkering about what usecases it solves. We're about to lose a neat little interface to a lot of blur: We're not there yet, as a filter inserter will need some third panel to select the filters.

Agreed its a cleaner way to manually clear a inserter (instead of rotating/replacing it), and ctrl-clicking a bunch is even elegant, but 9/10 times it simply blocks alot of view.
Every single inserter you adjust in the factory will need to be adjusted blind (mentioning LN bot malls and CN train stations as examples where it is useful to have oversight when programming smart inserters).

The entire function has no effect on the cause of clogged inserters, how to prevent it, or how to predict any reliability. With the current small menu you could already see the item in the stuck inserter itself. The status indicator nontheless is more helpful in the start of a investigation about inserter mechanics. It functions "as an" error code.

In a game like this you come to a point of complexity where external sources like wiki or the forum become more valuable then any interface. It seem to be the modern interactive variant of the booklet mother-manuals that classic games came with. Fix, prevent, automate. Making manual fixes more fluent somewhat can lure you into becoming slave to your own machine.

Edit, related suggestion, can we keep the selection box of inserters/chests/combinators active when the interface is up (useful in clusters).
Quoting to agree since no way to upvote. I really hope that the inserter interface doesn't change; or an alternate solution is found.

Why must the player inventory be attached to the inserter gui?

Why can't the player inventory be off to the side somewhere and the inserter gui stay the small, neat gui it is? An interactable slot can easily be added to the existing small gui.

Or better yet, make the player inventory be separately toggleable with the inserter gui open. Let the inserter guis be opened/closed as normal, and if we really decide we want to put an item in the slot, open the inventory separately.

AmorPropio
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by AmorPropio »

Hello a greeting. There are two things that I want to keep in mind: Is it possible to modify the mouse pointer in such a way that it can be seen between so many entities? It is lost and not distinguished in many cases. Another thing, the belts move without electricity, is it possible to put electricity on them to give the game more realism? Thank you.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

AmorPropio wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:41 pm
Hello a greeting. There are two things that I want to keep in mind: Is it possible to modify the mouse pointer in such a way that it can be seen between so many entities? It is lost and not distinguished in many cases.
On Windows it's just the default OS mouse pointer, you can change it to whatever you like.
Another thing, the belts move without electricity, is it possible to put electricity on them to give the game more realism? Thank you.
Never gonna happen.

Yenz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Yenz »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:45 pm
AmorPropio wrote:
Hello a greeting. There are two things that I want to keep in mind: Is it possible to modify the mouse pointer in such a way that it can be seen between so many entities? It is lost and not distinguished in many cases.
On Windows it's just the default OS mouse pointer, you can change it to whatever you like.
Also you can enable the pretty (nope, not really) windows feature to highlight you mouse cursor when hitting CTRL key on your keyboard.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Ambaire wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:46 pm
We usually do that^^ and then a “+1”

Daeruun
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Daeruun »

I just re-read the FFF and just need to get this of my chest:
the next release(s) will be 1.0.1 ... 1.0.x (experimental), right?
and when confirmed there are no new bugs there will be 1.1.0 (stable)?

something like 1.1.x feels ... wrong.
or is the plan to have 1.1.x experimental and then 1.2.0 stable?

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

Daeruun wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:08 pm
I just re-read the FFF and just need to get this of my chest:
the next release(s) will be 1.0.1 ... 1.0.x (experimental), right?
and when confirmed there are no new bugs there will be 1.1.0 (stable)?

something like 1.1.x feels ... wrong.
or is the plan to have 1.1.x experimental and then 1.2.0 stable?
They’ve said that they are planning to keep the same way of doing it as they did pre-1.0: 1.1.0 will be the next release (marked unstable), and then after lots more 1.1.x unstable releases there will be a 1.1.y release marked stable.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

AmorPropio wrote:
[...]Another thing, the belts move without electricity, is it possible to put electricity on them to give the game more realism? Thank you.
There's a mod for that:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PoweredBelts

Note: With this mod, if you completely cut power to a belt, all the items on it are deleted, and any splitter filters are reset. Not if you have low power; only if the power is completely cut.

Return to “News”