Friday Facts #363 - 1.1 is getting close

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Duker
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #363 - 1.1 is getting close

Post by Duker »

Overall the new lightning looks better but I ain't digging it on centrifuge and nuclear plants... They look turned off more than anything, especially since the centrifuge lost it's very iconic green glow completely :( . We're harvesting the awesome power of splitting atoms, not making glow-in-the-dark decorations... The new isn't selling the fantasy at all.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Only a developer would graph the amount of work they had left.
Also oh no! how will I be elitist without my knowledge of rich text and debug names! /s
I love the glow of the uranium at night, but have one question: will the colored lights also emit the colored glow during the day?
Last edited by NotRexButCaesar on Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

Duker wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:31 pm
Overall the new lightning looks better but I ain't digging it on centrifuge and nuclear plants... They look turned off more than anything, especially since the centrifuge lost it's very iconic green glow completely :( . We're harvesting the awesome power of splitting atoms, not making glow-in-the-dark decorations... The new isn't selling the fantasy at all.

https://discord.com/channels/1396775903 ... 2935986196
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

xeneonic wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:27 pm
I'd like to add a counter argument towards the removal of the character tab. The arguments for removal such as the weapons tab being a duplication aren't exactly true. When you are in a vehicle, such as a Spidertron or a Tank or a Car, etc... Some of these existing GUI elements get overridden by these elements. Your gun GUI starts showing that of the vehicle. Your equipment grid is replaced by that of the vehicle in the case of Spidertron or modded vehicles as well.

The Character GUI that is present right now allows you to change your Engineer's equipment while in a vehicle. If you normally are building things - say, an outpost for mining - you are likely to have roboports in your Engineer grid but if a sudden attack comes because of a path towards your main base, you'll want to switch out those roboports in your Engineer to PDs.

There are several other such exceptions such as the mod that allows you to start as a vehicle (i.e. spidertron engineer) where you can never ever leave the vehicle but still have the ability to equip a power armor on your engineer through the Character GUI and open it and alter it from there. Without the Character GUI, this function would be entirely lost.
Not any more. When in a vehicle, the vehicle’s ammo slots now appear as well as the character armour/ammo slots, not instead of.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

ickputzdirwech
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ickputzdirwech »

The fact that the two icons in the "character-logistic-trash-slots"-icon (I assume it's that one) are not aligned hurts physicly.
it hurts.png
it hurts.png (107.52 KiB) Viewed 5902 times
Mods: Shortcuts for 1.1, ick's Sea Block, ick's vanilla tweaks
Tools: Atom language pack
Text quickly seems cold and unfriendly. Be careful how you write and interpret what others have written.
- A reminder for me and all who read what I write

BrainlessTeddy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BrainlessTeddy »

Me, a fool, thought 1.0 was the final version. I have to buy a bag now. Not only do I need one but I feel like you really deserve it.
Please consider english is not my native language.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

ickputzdirwech wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:14 pm
The fact that the two icons in the "character-logistic-trash-slots"-icon (I assume it's that one) are not aligned hurts physicly.
it hurts.png
I think the alignment is fine. It has the long straight edge of the trash bin aligned with the right edge of the stack. The lid is just a small protrusion. Same thing is usually done in typography and called "margin kerning".

dexteritas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dexteritas »

Those are really a lot of cool changes :)
With the night image I just noticed that it should apply: Where no light, there no shadow.

AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by AntiElitz »

I'm not a huge fan of the gui changes. I feel i barely ever use the logistics tab and having it in the middle is kinda making the mouse movements/distances much longer. Same for the small entity gui. Why would i need to see my inventory, when i open a splitter? I rather have vision on the factory at the remaining space.

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sad_Brother »

Insreter GUI...
Expose "in hand" and "fuel" inventory slot here.
List of logic connections would have nice place here.
And, please, give out status as a logic signal (color).

Character tab...
The color selection can be done by coloring armor like spidertron. And let us give armor names like "building armor", "battle armor" etc.
Last tab (logistics) should be the last (right) imho.

Rich text icon selector...
Why no color selector here?

Entity night lighting...
Day shadows at night?
Shouldn`t atomic glow just glow instead of territory lighting? Like it's air glow, not the ground.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

1.1 seems a good time to do that once again, so we are dropping support for save games from 0.16 and 0.17. If you want to preserve those save games, you will need to load them in 1.0 (which can load 0.16 and 0.17 save games) and resave them.

I just found I can't open my early gavesames with 1.0.0. I didn't knew they were dropped. Damn, it's like losing childhood photos. I woke up and knew jpg was dropped thee months ago. This is not good at all. Moving forward to the past to retrieve them.

Am I the only player who cares about old game saves?

There could be a series of frozen modules like converter_to_015.dll, converter_to_017.dll, converter_to_100.dll as intermediate steps for very old gamesaves. They should not be kept playable, they should open.
Last edited by coppercoil on Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

AntiElitz wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:15 pm
I'm not a huge fan of the gui changes. I feel i barely ever use the logistics tab and having it in the middle is kinda making the mouse movements/distances much longer. Same for the small entity gui. Why would i need to see my inventory, when i open a splitter? I rather have vision on the factory at the remaining space.
- if you uncheck the "Flat character GUI", you see either Logistics, or Crafting selectable by a tab. Not both. You only see both at the same time if the "Flat character gui" is turned on.
- We didn't add inventory to any entity (except inserter because now it has the "Grabbed item" slot), so splitters still don't have an inventory open. It's just that whenever any gui has an inventory, it's always on the left. This is inconsistent in 1.0, for example assembling machines have inventory at the bottom, a chest on the left.

lupinehorror
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lupinehorror »

likey the lighting. the rest i can't wait to try.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

I'd prefer logistics on the right and crafting in the middle next to the inventory. You just don't just logistics much, but you switch a lot between the other two. Even in the endgame you don't change your requests that often. And the trash is generally used from the inventory, not directly.

Duker wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:31 pm
Overall the new lightning looks better but I ain't digging it on centrifuge and nuclear plants... They look turned off more than anything, especially since the centrifuge lost it's very iconic green glow completely
I don't mind it. That nuclear = green glow look is extremely stereotypical and was very exaggerated. There are radioluminescent compounds that glow green, but they have nothing to do with nuclear power. The green glow in those comes from phosphor. If nuclear reactors glow in any way it's blue from Cherenkov radiation
Last edited by Serenity on Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PyroSA
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by PyroSA »

Quite stoked to see the night lights in action! Here's hoping we see glowing biter eyes...
Strangely, I haven't used night-vision often, probably since V1.0 or 0.18 somewhere.
The dark doesn't seem to bother me as much as it used to.

---

Loving the vehicle and player bars being visible on the left now.

---

Would love a modifier to constrain building placement - I have countless times had to run back and demolish items I build off-by-one.
Another useful would be to constrain by 'size'. So a 3x3 building that gets blocked by a tree/existing building would skip exactly one space before placing the next. You can then easily go back and clean up before placing it nicely in its spot.

---

Can't wait :)

porcupine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by porcupine »

Good grief, these updates are gorgeous.

Sad_Brother
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sad_Brother »

Serenity wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:43 pm
That nuclear = green glow look is extremely stereotypical and was very exaggerated.
It's nice even if not realistic.

mikehendi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mikehendi »

Nexarius wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:51 am
Awesome !

Could we also get an option to change the zoom level which changes from normal view to map view?
+1

Even on maximum zoom out, it's a bit tricky to see biter nests south of you in time (aka before you trigger an attack), as the quickbars "hide" them even longer.

Perhaps we could use SHIFT+scroll wheel to allow zooming out beyond a bit further than the standard limitation.

Nighttime looks gorgeous by the way, it currently already looks nice at night (for that reason alone I never use the night vision), but the preview looks so much better still! Can't wait to try 1.1!

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

coppercoil wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:31 pm
I just found I can't open my early gavesames with 1.0.0. I didn't knew they were dropped. Damn, it's like losing childhood photos. I woke up and knew jpg was dropped thee months ago. This is not good at all. Moving forward to the past to retrieve them.

Am I the only player who cares about old game saves?
You haven't lost them. On your Factorio account, you can download any major version all the way back to 0.6.4.

You can also install multiple versions at once if you use .zip file installations. So you can either install the correct old versions to upgrade your games into 1.0/1.1, or if you prefer, you can keep several old versions of Factorio installed to play those old games.

AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by AntiElitz »

V453000 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:34 pm
- if you uncheck the "Flat character GUI", you see either Logistics, or Crafting selectable by a tab. Not both. You only see both at the same time if the "Flat character gui" is turned on.
Ah cool! I got that wrong - thought the old option was removed, nice it's still an option!

V453000 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:34 pm
- We didn't add inventory to any entity, so splitters still don't have an inventory open. It's just that whenever any gui has an inventory, it's always on the left. This is inconsistent in 1.0, for example assembling machines have inventory at the bottom, a chest on the left.
I don't quiet understand, the FFF literally has a screenshot of the inserter gui that usually has no inventory, but the inventory of the player is in the gui. Also i am really not sure what is the use case of having the player inventory open when configuring an inserter.
Old:
New from FFF:

Return to “News”