Friday Facts #362 - Menu simulation, Spidertron, Ghost building, Confirm button

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Friday Facts #362 - Menu simulation, Spidertron, Ghost building, Confirm button

Post by Koub »

ThunderFD wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:27 am
Klonan wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:17 am
Draxinusom wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:15 am
AdamK wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:49 am
Whta is 1.1 ETA?
It's either before or after Cyberpunk 2077 8-)
Before :)

So early next year? ;DD
Before 2028 :mrgreen:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #362 - Menu simulation, Spidertron, Ghost building, Confirm button

Post by conn11 »

This is truley epic. Even the little, but IMO powerful main menu design change.
Full integration of the e-key is that much more QoL. Currently I'm deleting request constantly.
The enhancements in ghost building made are logicaly and appropiate now we have our eight-legged remote builder. Making the original throne room concept from acient times that much more integrated.
Did you consider to implement a way to semi automatically insert modules in before empty buildings, e.g. via the upgrade planner? Basically to make mods like Module Inserter (credit: Choumiko) Vanilla.
This would not only make remote blueprinting (improved already for 1.0), but remotly designing new factory blocks that much easier.

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

Klonan wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:02 am
DOSorDIE wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:01 am
Absolut genius little improvments!
Good job ... when we can have it :D

And 1 more little change we need.
When you chat and have 4 Lines of tools the "first" chat line is behind the UI and unreadable (when its longer) until i make a new chatmassage.
Please set the start of chat 1 line higher.
That would be a nice QOL change :-)
Its already done for 1.1 :)
Thanks a lot. Best Dev ever!

Cacho Tognax
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Cacho Tognax »

All of this is great, thank you for caring about all the minor details. I feel like the only QoL missing in vanilla now is being able to flip blueprints, but I guess not all entities are perfectly symmetrical and it could be very hard to implement.

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

Another FFF before lunch. Do we need to send help?

Great work.

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

conn11 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:32 am
This is truley epic. Even the little, but IMO powerful main menu design change.
Full integration of the e-key is that much more QoL. Currently I'm deleting request constantly.
The enhancements in ghost building made are logicaly and appropiate now we have our eight-legged remote builder. Making the original throne room concept from acient times that much more integrated.
Did you consider to implement a way to semi automatically insert modules in before empty buildings, e.g. via the upgrade planner? Basically to make mods like Module Inserter (credit: Choumiko) Vanilla.
This would not only make remote blueprinting (improved already for 1.0), but remotly designing new factory blocks that much easier.
Modul Inserter should be vanilla ... cant play without anymore.

dasiro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by dasiro »

Enderdraak wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:22 am
Nice, but I was more thinking along the lines of PVP anti automatic spidertron defeneses
my thoughts exactly, and how would it react to ghosts

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

DOSorDIE wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:51 am
conn11 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:32 am
(...)
Modul Inserter should be vanilla ... cant play without anymore.
This and Blueprint Flip and Turn (credit: NovaM) the two missing features for making the Vanilla (none recursive) blueprint system (thanks for being able to re-edit BPs) complete.

Gloweye
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gloweye »

Loving the logistics for the Spidertron, as well as the power pole dragging now doing what I want without manually putting down the last one.

Great job.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

This is very cool. I finally made my first Spidertron a few days ago...quickly followed by my second, third, fourth, and fifth. I had already noted that it might be fun to use them as builders...except it was a hassle to keep trying to figure out what to load them up with.

Now I can have a track-laying Spidertron, a smelting-setup Spidertron, a turret Spidertron...

I hope someday to work for a company that does a mere 10% of the polish you guys put into Factorio.

Yenz
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Yenz »

@Devs: You're awesome... just awesome. Keep it up forever :D

J-H
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by J-H »

Great changes!
Now I have to rebuild the destroyed spidertron like my kids keep asking, instead of putting it off. Need to automate making some of those components.

Filter62
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Filter62 »

Oh god, so many little things I dreamed of, you're really best developers in my book. :mrgreen:

Enderdraak
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Enderdraak »

gGeorg wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:54 am
Lubricus wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:33 am
gGeorg wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:15 am
Would you also fix 3rd of my long term pain. Add Description for a combinator. Due to complexity of some creations, it is great to prevent re-invent wheel feel and allow write notes what is what, what it is doing/idea/guide. Basiicaly same descrition box as blueeprint has.
Yea it's hard to understand old circuits or even worse others circuits. There is no way to have "descriptive variable names" nor "comments". I somehow rather want notes on groups of combinators? Something like Electronic boxes that is one entity where you could build several combinators, circuits in and we could write a note in it.
I am also missing something like tuples with combinators. I don't have any idea on how it could be done.
There is a mode which would give a hint. It is a box inside a box.
Place a building size of an assembler, then enter it. Then you have inside a space of 20x20 tiles which fits on one screen. Interface allows you only place combinators. Perhaps your character also can be removed, so its kind a game inside a game. So you create a circuit, then step off the building. Then you made a custom circuit. Then set a descrition of this building/custom circuit. So you might create a modules like memory cell, pulse generator, add a descrition, then use it, stamp it. Or make a whole train station logic inside one custom circuit. I dont know, how often this improvement will be used. Combinators are hard to get into. So perhaps 2% percent of comunity would use it? Personaly I would. :D
Look for the mod called, circuitissimo (https://mods.factorio.com/mod/circuitissimo) it allows for building in a box. no UPS drawback cuz the box you enter does not truly exist and is removed after you leave it.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Besides the improvements to Spidertron so far are there currently any plans to add the features from the Squad Control (credit: morley376) OR Waypoints with or without the patrol mode (credit: Xorimuth) into Vanilla?

SnowZy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SnowZy »

555.jpg
555.jpg (365.58 KiB) Viewed 6878 times
FactorioBot wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:38 am
Here it is! (beep boop)

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-362
Hey. add the ability to swap belts for underground belts with the upgrade plan.
Last edited by SnowZy on Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

A little sad the Devs didn't mention this Mad Lad:
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... d/gaavdty/
Oh. He did a thing...in 3 moths he just rewrote the game from scratch to allow for Multi-Threaded/Multi-Core 64bit Multiplayer.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

I love how much love you give to the game and how you do it so consistently.

Reading today's FFF made me feel genuinely happy.

Fractaliste
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Fractaliste »

conn11 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:01 pm
This and Blueprint Flip and Turn (credit: NovaM) the two missing features for making the Vanilla (none recursive) blueprint system (thanks for being able to re-edit BPs) complete.
I agree, one of the last utils before perfection !

I'd also add to this short list a way to insert item's icon into train stop name (like the existing way of placing pins on the map). I finally memorized the most commons one's, but for other I often need to look at the wiki...

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Durabys wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:50 pm
A little sad the Devs didn't mention this Mad Lad:
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... d/gaavdty/
Oh. He did a thing...in 3 moths he just rewrote the game from scratch to allow for Multi-Threaded/Multi-Core 64bit Multiplayer.
I’dont think the devs had enough time to test and say something meaningful right at this moment.
But I’m interested if the reported 3,5 fold increase holds up if all the game systems are implemented (like bots and fluids)

Return to “News”