Friday Facts #360 - 1.0 is here!

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FatMcK
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #360 - 1.0 is here!

Post by FatMcK »

Gratulations for 1.0!

And the Spidertron is a great suprise for full release. Just tested it, and omg, this thing moves so organic that it is actually a bit scary for arachnophobs! :o

PaszaVonPomiot
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PaszaVonPomiot »

Congratulations guys you deserve all the glory and you now officially belong to hall of fame in history of video game development. Factorio will be played for decades and by people that haven't even been born yet. You should be proud of yourself! We certainly are.

Although the game is certainly complete I wouldn't mind, once you get well deserved vacation, you pushing few more updates :ugeek: :D

Allexz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Allexz »

Congrats Wube on this amazing masterpeice of a game.
Thank you for all the hard work over the years!

Bulisek
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bulisek »

Congratulations to 1.0 release and thank you very much for this great game.

quadrox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by quadrox »

I am currently utterly speechless, I am having a hard time figuring out how to say this. But those trailers were fricking awesome, absolutely fantastic work.

And then... to top it all of... there it finally was... Spidertron is REAL. :o :o :o

Thank you devs. Thank you so much!

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Do you have not brocken spaceship model?
Attachments
2020-08-14T22_12_07-FFF.jpg
2020-08-14T22_12_07-FFF.jpg (529.47 KiB) Viewed 7741 times

deef0000dragon1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by deef0000dragon1 »

Nice to finally see spidy and 1.0, but I must admit (and I hate to be the downer), I'm really sad and just a little bit pissed about FFF going away.

Other than the game we paid for, you owe us nothing, but, that game has a community and a history of really good communication that backed it. FFF being a HUGE part of that. As you said, it helped keep us in the loop. It showed that you were working on stuff, and what might/might not be possible. IMO, FFF built the community and engagement. It also fostered an era of other developers doing the same.

The Loss of FFF feels... Final somehow. Like Factorio is getting packed up, shipped out, and never touched again. I know that's not the case, but the feeling is there nonetheless. The whole point of 1.0 was to give it a solid it's ready point for the folks out there who needed a 1.0, but if it comes down to getting 1.0 meant losing FFF, I would have rather never hit 1.0. There are still plenty of things that need to get done. The pipe/fluid rework being one, the BP library UI being another, and I have no doubt that they will be completed, but loosing that communication channel on just what exactly is going on SUCKS.

You deserve a vacation. All of Wube has worked their ass off producing one of the finest pieces of software on the planet over the last several years, but I hope when you get back, you realize the importance of FFF, even after 1.0 is released.

Scottathew
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Scottathew »

CONGRATULATIONS.

Factorio is one of the greats. There are few games that I play for countless hours across many years. This is one of them. Quality gaming isn't dead.

SimCity 2000
GoldenEye 64
SimCity 4
Counter Strike: Source
Minecraft
Factorio

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

Congratz on your first factorio launch!

The next step is to scale it up to 1 factorio launch/minute. ;)

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Twisted_Code »

as an aspiring game developer, moments like these fill me with pride and drive my personal ambitions. To see a game eight years in the making reach a point where it's developers can say with confidence "It is finished"[*] is inspiring to me. congratulations Kovarex and everyone else at Wube!

The spider is a very nice last-minute surprise by the way. I assume it can fire nuclear rockets if it has a rocket launcher? So that means I can just leave it somewhere near the perimeter of my base (or possibly further) and whenever I want to expand my Railworld territory, I don't even have to risk my own hide? Sweet!

I am a little sad about FFF though. Couldn't we maybe get a monthly thing or something? I hope you at least continue to post semi-regularly, even if it's not a fixed schedule. Sure we can still post on the forums, but FFF always felt like an exchange rather than a "we talk, you listen unless you post on the forums in which case we might? see it"

[*]even if there are a few minor bugs and other tasks that couldn't quite be squeezed into the original deadline, I've honestly considered the finished for a while. It certainly plays better than a lot of other purportedly "finished" games I've played...
CrushedIce wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:21 pm
I noticed that the 1.0 update on steam is marked as "small update". Maybe you should mark it as big because big updates are featured on the main page.
In general I think a bit of advertisement on steam could help but I don't know how thats working
yeah I was wondering about that too... Oh well, no big deal, I guess?? The game is still pretty freaking visible thanks to steam's promotion on the store page.
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.
The game's tech tree, a visual reference guide.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

It's been a hell of a journey. You, at Wube, did awesomely well, and created an exemplary game, with exemplary ethics, exemplary practices.
I feel kind of blessed to have been at the right time, at the right place to live the adventure with you, and I'm glad my bet on Factorio and Wube over 6 years ago proved to be the right move.

The remastered trailer is a pure gem. The first one was already one of the things that got me to Factorio, the updated version is ... wow. You also did such a smart move by adding the spidertron in absolute secret, brilliant.

Finally, I won't lie : I'm going to miss the FFF, but every good thing has to come to an end at some point, and it indeed feels like it's a suitable time in Factorio's history to do so.
As a breathtaking guy said
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

nog
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nog »

It was a great pleasure to participate with you on this journey up to 1.0! Congratulations and thank you to all of you at Wube, and especially to you, kovarex, for having such a great idea and for bringing it so far.

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

I posted this on Reddit as well....

You've missed that your FFF blog posts have given invaluable insight into game programming, game development, and optimization techniques. They are a serious contribution to the body of knowledge surrounding these things.

I understand and appreciate the effort you put into them. I will really miss them. Thank you very much for the ones you have written and the serious effort you put into them.

Dwarfs_Lord
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dwarfs_Lord »

ptx0 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:59 pm
Omarflyjoemacky wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:40 pm

2 million copies, times say... 100 hours each average game play (a very conservative number considering I'm closing in on 3000).

200 million hours of fun, and still counting. Or time wasted. Or therapy time. Or time with friends. Or without. :)

That estimates approximately 22,831 years of time. THAT is an incredible number.
a conservative value would be 1 hour per player. i really doubt most of the 2 million copies sold have even been installed/launched let alone play 100 hours of it.. just extrapolating from my shitload of "good games" in my library that i've never opened.
Yes, you might hava a lot of never opened games in your library.
But how many of those did not come in a bundle and were never on sale?

I think that in this case Wube's policies when it comes to discounts should keep the number of people who never played Factorio, but own the game, fairly small.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Finaly it's there. Grats!!

Now we can close the suggestions-board.

Not.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

CrushedIce
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CrushedIce »

Dwarfs_Lord wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:33 pm
ptx0 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:59 pm
Omarflyjoemacky wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:40 pm

2 million copies, times say... 100 hours each average game play (a very conservative number considering I'm closing in on 3000).

200 million hours of fun, and still counting. Or time wasted. Or therapy time. Or time with friends. Or without. :)

That estimates approximately 22,831 years of time. THAT is an incredible number.
a conservative value would be 1 hour per player. i really doubt most of the 2 million copies sold have even been installed/launched let alone play 100 hours of it.. just extrapolating from my shitload of "good games" in my library that i've never opened.
Yes, you might hava a lot of never opened games in your library.
But how many of those did not come in a bundle and were never on sale?

I think that in this case Wube's policies when it comes to discounts should keep the number of people who never played Factorio, but own the game, fairly small.
Very good point!
But there's no need to speculate. SteamDB gives actual numbers:
The average playtime is 138.9h and the median is 35.2h
That should speak for itself 8-)
https://steamdb.info/app/427520/graphs/

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

After having had the opportunity to play around with spidertron, I have to say it's really awesome and -as always- thought through very well. Like being sqeak through on steroids.

Shadow_Man
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shadow_Man »

ssilk wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:47 pm
Finaly it's there. Grats!!

Now we can close the suggestions-board.
WAAAAT??!!

ssilk wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:47 pm
Not.
Phew... Cruel joke, heart attack can happen :o

neocortex92
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by neocortex92 »

Simple, still effective: Congratulations.

One Note: Guys have you seen the Playtimes on Steam? Nearly everybody stays at least 20 or more hours in this game. I've never really saw that before. Factorio is a masterpiece and you have made a digital drug. ;) :)

MarioneTTe
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MarioneTTe »

It's been one Hell of a fun journey. Congrats, Wube!

Return to “News”