Friday Facts #359 - Crash site: The beginning

Regular reports on Factorio development.
NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #359 - Crash site: The beginning

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Rebmes wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:07 pm
I liked the old drills. I don't know what's happened :p

In fact, they weren't really drills at all. They seemed like surface sweepers of some kind, and that made sense - this doesn't really, somehow.

but everything else looks great ;)
I like the new ones
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Aonova wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:50 pm
I hope #360 isn't going to be the last FF. It's become a defining part of my Fridays ;(
Maybe there will be new XFF’s for X new game
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

FrozenTaco wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:50 am
Really cool drills! But they have a small issue that i found with their model/hitbox. As you can see in the picture if you put 2 drills diagonally of one another, it seems like that there is enough space to squeak through, but that is not the case.
there is mod called squeak through that allows walking between most entities, i use it for most of my modded games, some mods are incompatible.

ideally the devs could make it so that most entities hit box was slightly smaller to allow this functionality natively.
imo walking through the small spaces of my base is more fun than being blocked.

EnerJi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EnerJi »

Philip017 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:09 pm

there is mod called squeak through that allows walking between most entities, i use it for most of my modded games, some mods are incompatible.

ideally the devs could make it so that most entities hit box was slightly smaller to allow this functionality natively.
imo walking through the small spaces of my base is more fun than being blocked.
+1

LuxSublima
Inserter
Inserter

Post by LuxSublima »

Aonova wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:50 pm
I hope #360 isn't going to be the last FF. It's become a defining part of my Fridays ;(
...there would be a certain beauty to it, though. 360 degrees, full circle. :)

LOVE the re-redesigned mining drills! :)

POPISowyNumer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by POPISowyNumer »

I can totally see someone modding the crash site remnants into replacement of rocket silo as final step to finish the game.

Hell, even the vanilla game can reduce silo into white science generator and make rebuilding the spaceship a final step of game

melind
Inserter
Inserter

Post by melind »

I wanted to say big thumbs up on the new drills. I never managed to get used to the latest design, it just looked so big and boxy and it was hard to tell what it was doing. I think the new one will be much nicer to play with.

Thanks and here's to a successful 1.0!

Rebmes
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rebmes »

All this work for a mining drill re-design, and the more I think about it, the more I wish you'd simply have made a third mining drill.

neocortex92
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by neocortex92 »

Imagine after the 1.0 Releases where you can repair the Ship in Post Game, handling it as a carrot in front of the Player the whole Walkthrough.
Would be awesome to change Factorio to a upgradable Ship Kind of Gameplay Style as you earn your Upgrades by manufactoring it yourself as a Twist.. PVP too?

Factorio meets Elite Franchise as an helper for your imagination. You have this Ship where you can Trade with other Players. You can explore the Planet and get a macroscopic kind of gameplay. Would be more than awesome. My Personal Wets Dream. Like Factorio is a huge Puzzle Game, this would let you relax a bit and enjoy your work over hundreds of hours.

This was a good choice to add in the wrack. Gamermind goes wild.

lacika2000
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lacika2000 »

The new mining drill design is very nice, indeed a vast improvement vs. the original redesign. :D

So this might sound like nitpicking, or maybe it is only me, but I think there is still something 'wrong' with the distance to the belt depending on the orientation: it looks perfect when the miner is pointing 'down' to the belt, but the miner seems to be a few pixels too close to the belt when the miner is pointing upwards, or in the 'horizontal' orientations (left or right).

Any chance to nudge the miner 'away' from the belt in the 'up', 'left' and 'right' orientation?

lupinehorror
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lupinehorror »

do like the visibility improvements with the new design.

Edriel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Edriel »

Am I the only one having "trouble" to understand where the back (end) of the new miners is?

When placing them for me it's quite hard to know the distance between two miners with opposite facing sides while with the other two versions (the old and the previous ones) I had no problems at all.

But maybe it's only me and for sure it's a minor problem.

RaviorMetal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by RaviorMetal »

So the release will be at 14.08.2020?

My friend and I are going to have our own private release party for this!

Can you tell me if it will be playable at around 18:00 on the UTC +01:00 Timezone?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: 14.08.2020

Post by Klonan »

RaviorMetal wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:11 am
So the release will be at 14.08.2020?

My friend and I are going to have our own private release party for this!

Can you tell me if it will be playable at around 18:00 on the UTC +01:00 Timezone?
It will be playable 11am CEST on Friday 14th August.

croc_miam
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by croc_miam »

I'm really glad the crash story is acknowledged in freeplay but something has always bothered me: why do we build a rocket if not to leave the planet? Shouldn't the winning condition be "launch ourselves into space" instead of a satellite?

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

torham wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:00 pm
Klonan wrote:
IronCartographer wrote:
FFF wrote:Making sure the starting area is not covered by trees.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If a scenario included crash landing and a debris field, the explosions and resulting fires would make a nice clear area in which to start building, while adding some initial excitement. ;-)
Hmm, let me try that out
I always thought that this will be in game for 1.0
I never really liked how the player just spawns in the middle of a field with no context as how we got there.
OMG! Called it back in 2017! 8-)

kmack413
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kmack413 »

Crash site: The beginning Ernestas, V453000
Even though a simple one, Factorio does have a story - An engineer crashes on a planet and through building a complex factory, becomes capable of launching rockets back into space (...or builds the sickest combinator contraption instead).

This story is quite well represented - building a crazy factory in the process, ending with an epic rocket launch - except the beginning is not. The player character just appears in the middle of the map with nothing showing where they came from.
Obviously, not everyone buys into or wants the story and I respect individual play styles as much as I can. However, I agree that the context helps create the 'push' and provides an ultimate goal. However...

What if it could be more? What if you as the stranded engineer explore further out as your starting resources become (or already are) scarce?

Let's say, for sake of argument, you find that Nauvis contains a once-powerful city/colony with long-dead industrial sector and an extensive--albeit damaged--rail network?

Now, you have an option you didn't have before. Just about all of us have played through to that first launch and I'm sure there were many who, like me, said, "Okay, so now what?" Some answered that with creating giga/megabases to achieve crazy amounts of SPM or RPM or whatever. Other than bragging rights, toward what end?

What if there was a scenario to follow up the initial crash-site situation with an attempt to create a production power-house to be the next industrial engineer-tycoon and earn stupid amounts of credit (coins as in Tight Spot)???

Any takers on that?

Mike5000
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mike5000 »

I'm wondering when if ever each of Factorio's developers last played a vanilla all-default single-player no-mod game from start to rocket launch?

I've tried and failed several times recently in light of the imminent release of 1.0 and it's painful as hell.

Sometimes nests are real close in and pollution reaches them before I can research turrets and submachine gun.

And if I survive that then researching is just tedious with several clicks on widely separated parts of the screen just to say "research this next".

Factorio has a great engine and with a minimum dozen or so mods I love it but shouldn't vanilla also be a great game?

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Mike5000 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:52 am
Factorio has a great engine and with a minimum dozen or so mods I love it but shouldn't vanilla also be a great game?
I've personally beat the game 3 or 4 times (I can't recall if I actually one one of them), my first win ever, my "Lazy Bastard" run, my most recent "Factorio For Beginners" game, and I think one more.

Compared to most any game out there, Factorio is VERY playable without mods. Mods just make it even better.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Mike5000 wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:52 am
[…] researching is just tedious with several clicks on widely separated parts of the screen just to say "research this next".
Shift + Click on a technology in the technology window
will start research/queue up the technology. How much more convenient do you need it?

Return to “News”