Friday Facts #358 - Alien decoratives & Polluted water

Regular reports on Factorio development.
TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #358 - Alien decoratives & Polluted water

Post by TheSAguy »

I like the polluted water. Now make it so that it will also produce polluted water, so you have to or clean/filter the water before use or move your water source to a clean source.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

Fezumlix wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:43 pm
I like the idea of polluted Water, but how about if no fish spawned there?
Fish never respawn in Factorio :)
Unless you meant... that pollution could kill the fish ? :)

EDIT : when will the HR polluted fish be released ? :p

Simanova
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Simanova »

fish from poluted water should hit with poison damage when eaten.

ytsejam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ytsejam »

wosthisdo wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:31 am
I'd like to recommend video gamer Tuplex for a press pass but your pedantic form won't let me as I don't have an e-mail for him :(
As good as Tuplex is, his channel is Factorio oriented. I believe they are looking for channels that can bring potential new players.

Raphaello
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Raphaello »

Biter biome looks great :) I’m going to celebrate 1.0 release with a new game so your decision to not implement migration is a good one imo.
I’m looking forward to nuke one of those new ugly bases (with a new and powerful nuclear explosion sound, I hope). 🀯

I’d also agree the green is too healthy and should be more yellowish-brownish.

wosthisdo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wosthisdo »

ytsejam wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:54 pm
wosthisdo wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:31 am
I'd like to recommend video gamer Tuplex for a press pass but your pedantic form won't let me as I don't have an e-mail for him :(
As good as Tuplex is, his channel is Factorio oriented. I believe they are looking for channels that can bring potential new players.
Ah thanks, I hadn't really appreciated that. No doubt he'll do a new let's play for 1.0 and maybe we can point new players / beginners his way. He's family-friendly and calm to listen to, as well as experienced and a good explainer. His let's play when 0.16 launched really helped me get into the game enough to still be getting a lot out of it.

TheBalliBoys
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TheBalliBoys »

Cool Stuff! I think the water is too green - maybe make the effect a little more subtle

James_Hackett
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by James_Hackett »

Hi there! As it stands right now, to play a multiplayer game, everyone has to be on the same version. When 1.0 is released will 'version 1' become the same version or will it still be required to be 'version 1, release 3, patch 25'?

Also, in a previous FFF you showed the number of active players on each release (I think it was for version 0.17) I wonder could you compile an active player graph for every version/ number of game hard crashes? Some interesting statistics anyway.

Congrats on making it to version 1! Here's to many more!

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by factoriouzr »

I don't like the idea of polluted water. I don't like the look. The landscape looks better with blue water. I hope there will be an option to disable it as currently there are only 2 late game clean energy solutions, solar and nuclear. So the entire early and mid game we will have to look at ugly polluted water, and then later game we will be forced to transition to clean energy to get the blue water back, but some will still exist around unavoidable pollution producing buildings.

chris13524
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by chris13524 »

LOVE the polluted water! Now we need that for the land

Nests look cool, would love to see those expanded on post-1.0

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

have to agree, polluted water is awesome but the colour not. On first view i thought "odd that in the barren is so much grass"Β΄.

i think polluted water should either have some debris or that "foam-ish" look, with a bit more brown/oily tint.

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hiladdar »

FasterJump wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:37 am
Those new visual effects are great!

What would happen to alien decoratives after the player kills the nests/worms? Would it behave like any other decorative, like having a specific chance to be removed when placing concrete on it?
JimBarracus wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:35 am
green water would suggest that there is a lot of algae around.
According to wikipedia, Nutrient pollution, usually nitrogen or phosphorus, can stimulate algal growth.
And if the pollution is really bad, or around for a very long time, how about red algae?

Hiladdar

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

postponing the factorio party seems like a good idea
once our area started reopening, covid cases skyrocketed again, when more people associate in close proximity, the virus spreads.
this new world will see everyone wearing a mask to help slow the spread, but some people are stubborn and wont wear one.
i suggest taking the party online, everyone can stay at home, web cameras can be used, and those that dont have one can use their smart phone, almost everyone has one of those. you could set up something online, even post the video party on youtube for others to watch later.
sure a meet and greet would be great, but you wont be shaking anyone's hand or give them a pat on the back.

as for the green water, it would probably be better if it turns redish, then dark brown, finally black with the pollution levels, imo. also if possible the polluted water should require some form of filtering or have a reduced performance?

abadinvain
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by abadinvain »

Polluted water is great idea which can be much more employed, not to be present just as indicator or cosmetic visual. First of all, I agree there should be no fish which can regenerate health. Besides this, I think that using polluted water in crafting should also damage machinery or reduce production. For example, polluted water could plug the pipes and stop production completely, or reduce amount of steam capacity of the boiler...

In that case, player will be forced to expand further from starting location to find clear water, and deal more with bitters. Latter in game it could be great to be possible to research and use filters which can purify water.

Oh, and this green is not my first association when I thought of polluted water. It needs to be more brown or reddish...

Kaeto
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Kaeto »

Chalk me up as another person not a huge fan of polluted water. I don't really think having the pollution cloud visible in the normal view is necessary, and I don't like the idea that leaving water near my base will mean it looks ugly. Maybe a much more mild effect would come across well to me, I'm not sure.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Food for thought for post 1.0:
If the water will be just tinted, why have only two colors for tinting the water?
I can easily imagine a three step process:
  • at low/no pollution water is blue
  • at intermediate values it becomes green (algae), but maybe not as vibrant as you show in the screenshots
  • at high values it turns brown/black/disgusting (dead water).
Also, if you can tint water tiles, why not try to do something similar to grassland tiles? Tinting them to go dead-plant brown sounds like pretty much the same work as tinting the water to go green. I don't know what you would do to desert, though. Turn it into an ash/soot grey at high values of pollution?

Shadow_Man
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shadow_Man »

valneq wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:21 pm
I can easily imagine a three step process:

at low/no pollution water is blue
at intermediate values it becomes green (algae), but maybe not as vibrant as you show in the screenshots
at high values it turns brown/black/disgusting (dead water).
Great idea! Hope Factorio team implement it!
And one more suggestion: as we have pollution here, then we need tech(s) to clean polluted air/water in mid/lategame.

Kirona
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kirona »

valneq wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:21 pm
Also, if you can tint water tiles, why not try to do something similar to grassland tiles? Tinting them to go dead-plant brown sounds like pretty much the same work as tinting the water to go green. I don't know what you would do to desert, though. Turn it into an ash/soot grey at high values of pollution?
I just came here to say this. If you've got shaders to adjust water color, you could probably apply the same process to land tiles. Though in this case, maybe have it take much longer to "recover" if the pollution cloud goes away - water flows and moves and such, but land doesn't.

Also +1 to thinking that the vibrant green color you're using for the water right now is too "life-y" for pollution.

argbla
Inserter
Inserter

Post by argbla »

Covid is not a relatively deadly flu, but it's not your fault the prevailing religious narrative has decided overreacting to it is the "moral" thing to do.

Personally I like the green pollution color, not that other colors wouldn't be good too. It sounds like it would be straightforward for a mod to offer a color picker for it.

Unknow0059
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Unknow0059 »

Very good indeed. When I played mp with my friends we joked about wanting to see the water become polluted but alas it was impossible.

Return to β€œNews”