Friday Facts #355 - High resolution updates

Regular reports on Factorio development.
irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #355 - High resolution updates

Post by irbork »

I wonder if the slow effect bubbles wouldn't look much better if they got an offset of a few pixels up.
Now it looks like flying ball under biters legs.
If it was on the main torso it could look much better in my opinion.

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Twisted_Code »

irbork wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:29 am
I wonder if the slow effect bubbles wouldn't look much better if they got an offset of a few pixels up.
Now it looks like flying ball under biters legs.
If it was on the main torso it could look much better in my opinion.
but it's the biter's legs that are being slowed down/made "sticky"? I do see what you mean (the blob is kind of floating there in between legs and torso), but I think it would be better to somehow split up the big blob and attach it to the leg animation somehow. Maybe they could color the legs orange or something?
although the fact that it's floating above their legs is not going to be noticeable when they are trying to tear YOUR legs off, and more importantly, since the point is making the blood visible, splitting it up might backfire. Β―\_(ツ)_/Β―
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.
The game's tech tree, a visual reference guide.

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hiladdar »

Philip017 wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:04 pm
imo if you push the date a bit you could probably use that time to make the assembly machine polish finishes you wanted, after all you wanted to bring 1.0 out before cyberpunk came out in September, but since it's been pushed back yet again, you could take that time back and get more work done, as you have said, it's done when it's done.
I don't recommend changing the official release date at this time. This game for all practical purposes is finished. The changes going in right now, are akin to a final check of a 5 star hotel, the day prior to it's grand opening. Any change right not just be a needless risk to the stability of the game, but also complicates the marketing campaign, with scheduled events and interviews.

My expectation is that if it has not yet happened, the application will enter a lock down period, where nothing is touched, unless it is determined that it can crash the game. This is normally done to ensure that the software release is smooth. This is especially important for a 1.0 release. One of my concerns is that changing the graphics on a major component such as assembly machines, will break many mods that use assembly machine graphical components incorporating graphic elements from the base game. One such mod that could be broken is mine. New players may not differentiate between a mod and the base game. So, if the base game breaks something in a mod and the mod author is on vacation or sick, then that mod will not crash the game upon loading with an error message. This is something that will give new players a bad impression of both the mod author and Webe.

I do agree with you on assembly machine polish. Long term, it could use improvement, but that is something that can be released after 1.0, with experimental release about a month or two, after the focus of the gaming industry is off Webe and Factorio, the reviewers are chasing the next "shiny object".

Hiladdar

EnerJi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EnerJi »

posila wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:48 am
So let's just get 1.0 over with, finally take some time off and then see what new things can we make instead of constantly redoing things that are already done.
I totally understand and agree with this sentiment. I just hope that blueprints are not one of those things that are considered "already done," because there are some functionality "quirks" that continue to give people headaches. I understand from past discussions that blueprints are a technical challenge "under the hood," but some GUI tweaks, additional tool tips, and changes to prevent or at least warn before something undesirable occurs (such as clearing a blueprint that you think is only in your inventory but actually clears out of the main blueprint library) would be much appreciated.

FWIW, I'm still running 0.17 stable, so forgive me if any of this is out-of-date.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

You are welcome to translate your thoughts into the suggestions board. It will eventually be forgotten if you post it just here.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

EnerJi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EnerJi »

ssilk wrote: ↑
Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:34 am
You are welcome to translate your thoughts into the suggestions board. It will eventually be forgotten if you post it just here.
It was my understanding that some of the issues with blueprints were well-understood so I don't want to reinvent the wheel so to speak, but I appreciate the suggestion nonetheless.

moon69
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by moon69 »

The item-group icons need a bit of hi-res love... at 64px they look pretty bad at 200% UI scale.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

moon69 wrote: ↑
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:48 pm
The item-group icons need a bit of hi-res love... at 64px they look pretty bad at 200% UI scale.
Just as the tech icons. But the devs are aware of that.

Return to β€œNews”