Friday Facts #354 - Launch party and HR power switch

Regular reports on Factorio development.
kane.nexus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #354 - Launch party and HR power switch

Post by kane.nexus »

kane.nexus wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:52 pm
DoubleThought wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:18 pm
Though I understand that science, empirical evidence, and facts have become increasingly politicized, and my words will likely be contested hotly (read: flamed), I feel compelled to say this regardless.
[Moderated by Koub : Off topic]
I contest this moderation decision. 1) topic was discussed in FFF #354 section 1 paragraph 3. 2) I was providing additional information to help understanding of risks during covid-19. 3) Why open the door for discussion if your only response is censorship?

newllama
Inserter
Inserter

Post by newllama »

Will there be a rotated version? Currently you're forced to always use a left/right power switch.

ytsejam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ytsejam »

Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:03 pm
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:52 pm
DoubleThought wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:18 pm
Though I understand that science, empirical evidence, and facts have become increasingly politicized, and my words will likely be contested hotly (read: flamed), I feel compelled to say this regardless.
[Moderated by Koub : Off topic]
I contest this moderation decision. 1) topic was discussed in FFF #354 section 1 paragraph 3. 2) I was providing additional information to help understanding of risks during covid-19. 3) Why open the door for discussion if your only response is censorship?
Agreed. I read the comment before it got censored. It was rational, polite, and on topic. Mod could at least tried to come up with a better excuse because "off topic" doesn't even make sense.

m44v
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by m44v »

WHAT. the power switch is hollow? all this time I thought it was a big solid piece of metal making the connection.

To be frank I don't like it now.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] FFF only said Covid-19 incidence could ruin any plans any time. Advising people to take care of themselves and not to take risks is OK and has not been moderated - and will not be. Discussions about hypothetical - and contrevorsial cures will be moderated. This is a place neither to discuss the advantages, drawbacks and risks about the hydroxychloroquine, nor the political choices that can lead to advise for or against any possible cure.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

mudcrabempire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mudcrabempire »

On the topic of HR graphics, I got to get this off my chest:
Increasing the resolution is NOT equal to increasing the visual technology level (e.g. updating a low-res wooden club to a high-res steel sword).
I know that I'm not in charge of design, and frankly, it's not my game, so as long as the developers are happy with the game it is fine. But I behind many of the HR updates i got the feeling of not just improving the graphics but also changing the design, generally towards a higher-tech feeling, which kinda makes me sad since I like(d) the "crude-tech" feeling of the older entities and i think it fits factorio better.

Just my 2 cent though.

PS: I use power switches to control my steam setup. I want to use solar as much as possible which means using the power stored in my accumulators first. But the default behaviors is that steam goes on as soon as the solar panels don't give enough power even though there is enough energy in the accumulators. So i put a switch between the steam setup and the rest of the factory to be able to go pure solar and use steam only in case of emergency.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

Why does the "plug" in the power switch have two prongs while there is only one wire on the poles?

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

ske wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:53 am
Why does the "plug" in the power switch have two prongs while there is only one wire on the poles?
maybe the "wire" is a cable
also why no three phase system?

design suggestion:
an inserter that plugs the plug in.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

ske wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:53 am
It's a proper 3 wire system if the red and green signal wires are used. But obviously gameplay trumps all.

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Twisted_Code »

any chance someone will stream the celebration for those of us living a whole continent away? (Hello from Pennsylvania, US by the way!)
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.
The game's tech tree, a visual reference guide.

WarpZone
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WarpZone »

I think the green lights should only light up after you complete the circuit. Partly because this might let you get away with using fewer animation frames, but mostly because that's how electricity freakin' works!

impbar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by impbar »

Hello,

I use the Power Switch, but I have to use it wrong. Because with copy paste, or blueprints, electrical wires are automatically reconnected. However, this feature is a problem with switches. If you use switches to the chain, this is all the more complicated.

Thank you

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

impbar wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:19 am
Hello,

I use the Power Switch, but I have to use it wrong. Because with copy paste, or blueprints, electrical wires are automatically reconnected. However, this feature is a problem with switches. If you use switches to the chain, this is all the more complicated.

Thank you
Your power poles on each side of the switch must be far enough apart so that they don't autoreconnect themselves.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

impbar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by impbar »

Yes, that is the problem. If you want to insulate your factory sections with the switch, you need to extend the plant even more. You end up not using it anymore. I find that blueprints, should not automatically reconnect the power poles, but keep the connections active or not.

Return to β€œNews”