Friday Facts #353 - Trailer update

Regular reports on Factorio development.
glee8e
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #353 - Trailer update

Post by glee8e »

Probably the most difficult part of reproducing the main trailer is those pesky boilers... just remind me how I got screwed up when opening the old 0.14 save in 0.15

ignatio
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ignatio »

I'm glad I'm not the only one recognising how iconic the old main trailer is, and it's going to be awesome to see it with fresh graphics! Even to this day when I rewatch it I go "wow, this is really cool, gotta try it!" Just as I did all those years ago when it made me buy 0.12 (in spite of early access concerns).
I do not like the idea of giving a history lesson in the launch trailer. It is going to be the first thing people see about Factorio. It might not make a good impression and could be confusing. /.../
I think it's a nice nod to the existing fan base, and let's face it, this game is old now and has already sold the majority of the copies it's going to sell. It's not a day too early that the devs put an end this journey and (I hope) start working on an expansion or something that'll give me a reason to fork over a bit more cash to them.

someone1337
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by someone1337 »

Bilka wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:41 pm
someone1337 wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:35 pm
Plz re-compile (dont forget linux!) and re-release the old versions of the game! :)
You can find the stable versions of previous releases on https://factorio.com/download/archive.
Awesome!

Blacky007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blacky007 »

Shingen wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:34 pm
it's not something i paid attention to when reading this FFF for the first time, but after reading those comments here and playing around with site's CSS, i'm on board that the new website's colors could be made better.
just because it's an FFF doesn't mean the text color needs to be #FFF :P
something between #CCC and #DDD is much better on the eyes for me.

also i think the paragraph headlines, e. g. "Locale plan update Klonan" could have the nickname part in a different color or significantly different size, because they look like one 'entity' now.
100% agree
My color birthday was May 2nd 2020 - Thank you Enchroma

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

I always thought it'd be cool to watch a single piece of - say - iron go from miner to furnace to belt, then each circuit green to blue, and finally into a satellite that is placed in a rocket to launch. All the while around it, the rest of the factory gets more and more complex to build other things (not everything ofc but give the player a good bit of spaghetti to admire).

Maybe this concept would work well with the versions. You could mine/smelt/belt the iron in 0.1, make green circuits in 0.5, red and blue in 0.12, and the satellite and rocket in 0.18.

Just a thought take it or leave it :)

maniak1349
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by maniak1349 »

New FFF looks shiny and all, but readability got worse. So

Code: Select all

document.body.style.fontFamily = "sans-serif";
document.body.style.backgroundImage = "url('')";
document.body.style.backgroundColor = "#111111";

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

Bilka wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:41 pm
someone1337 wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:35 pm
Plz re-compile (dont forget linux!) and re-release the old versions of the game! :)
You can find the stable versions of previous releases on https://factorio.com/download/archive.
Any plans to include 0.1, as shown in the screenshots, on that page?

burninghey
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by burninghey »

I want to try 0.1 now. Copy please!

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

burninghey wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:50 am
I want to try 0.1 now. Copy please!
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-184

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

parendusp
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by parendusp »

Yes! How cool to play this version 0.1! The difference between the game then and now is absolutely astonishing!
I'm really looking forward to playing 1.0, and to building a 20k spm factory again! :D

Ormek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ormek »

I wonder if new players will be interested in Factory 0.1. While it is very interesting for those, who did travel along with you, others might not care. What is it you like to achieve with the new trailer?

mudcrabempire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mudcrabempire »

Can't say that I don't appreciate good graphics, but I gotta say.
I really loved the old bulky biters.
And seing those old locomotive graphics ... :o :geek: :oops: ... They just have something the current ones don't.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Ormek wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:17 am
I wonder if new players will be interested in Factory 0.1. While it is very interesting for those, who did travel along with you, others might not care. What is it you like to achieve with the new trailer?
Wich would be a considerable chunk of players.
A (launch) trailer explicitly created for leaving early accsess covering the evolution of prior versions, dosenβ€˜t seem that far fetched.
For players not intereseted, the two additional trailers will remain (and be partially updated).

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

The FFF mentioned that proofreading of the "target languages" started recently. What exactly are these target languages?
The 21 languages that are listed as "supported" on Steam, or just a subset of those?
On Crowdin there is more like 40 languages, but not all of them are targeted, right?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Probably the 21 listed on Steam. They want professional translation to support their advertising.

The other languages are a bonus for people who buy the game, but they don't come with the same quality guarantee.

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

valneq wrote: ↑
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:38 pm
The FFF mentioned that proofreading of the "target languages" started recently. What exactly are these target languages?
Perhaps this means the Target Languages list on the Altagram website? If so, it includes:

Code: Select all

Arabic
Bulgarian
Catalan
Chinese (Simplified/Traditional)
Croatian
Czech
Danish
Dutch
English (UK/US/CA/AU)
Farsi
Finnish
French (France/Quebec)
German
Greek
Hebrew
Hindi
Hungarian
Indonesian
Italian
Japanese
Korean
Malaysian
Norwegian
Polish
Portuguese (Portugal/Brazil)
Romanian
Russian
Serbian
Slovak
Slovenian
Spanish (Spain/Latin America)
Swedish
Tagalog
Thai
Turkish
Ukrainian
Vietnamese
Regardless, I came here to ask about the status of the Altagram update, since 3 weeks had passed this week (ereyesterday).
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

I guess the target languages of Altagram are the ones they could translate into, but I don't think Factorio will be translated into all these languages, only a sub-set of them.

Considering that their proofreading was supposed to hit Crowdin, and nothing has happened on Crowdin in that regard, we might get an update on that topic in the next FFF. Looking forward to it. And even more so looking forward to their corrections to the locales.

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:28 pm
Considering that their proofreading was supposed to hit Crowdin, and nothing has happened on Crowdin in that regard, we might get an update on that topic in the next FFF. Looking forward to it. And even more so looking forward to their corrections to the locales.
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Dev-iL wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:02 am
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:28 pm
See also viewtopic.php?f=12&t=87191

Return to β€œNews”