Friday Facts #353 - Trailer update

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #353 - Trailer update

Post by FactorioBot »

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #353 - Trailer update

Post by conn11 »

New trailers, refurbished website. It‘s time to connect to the hype train :D
Can‘t weit to the See the launch trailer.
Will the renewed main trailer be uploaded before release?

Unknow0059
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Unknow0059 »

I am not a fan of the bright white text on the grey background. The grey font was more readable. It also seems that the line spacing is smaller and that the font changed. That probably contributes to it. Another change that would improve it is making the text less wide so your eyes have to travel less of a distance, which also lowers the chances that you'll lose yourself in a paragraph.

About the sneak peeks at the trailer, it was interesting to see the different versions of Factorio.
Last edited by Unknow0059 on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

conn11 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:29 pm
Will the renewed main trailer be uploaded before release?
Probably yes, but it probably won't be made public by then :P

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

It wasn’t necessarily a surprise that 0.12 did not have the same editor as 0.18 does, but I was completely shocked actually experiencing the differences.
Creative Mode was made for a reason. Only recently did /editor catch up to its usability.

_CJ_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by _CJ_ »

fff#353-V453000 wrote:Factorio is much more than just the result product. It’s been a journey, and a very unique one. I think the process of how Factorio has been created is so important to the result, that it’s worth giving it a special place in the new trailer.
I always say that Factorio is The Best Game and I'm glad that you know why is that too. The game itself is great but I'm sure there are better games in other genre which have much more attention and so on. But there is something more with the journey you showed us - like FFF, all the changes, reactions to community, changing a lot to make game better, hearing community and also ignoring some of it so game can be played as you intended (a lot of developers are heartbroken and crushed by criticism and negative reactions of community). I must say this journey is what I'm addicted to (not playing factorio even though I like it a lot). So thanks for that :)

I'm excited for new trailer! (Also its funny that cyberpunk got delayed :D)

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

I do not like the idea of giving a history lesson in the launch trailer. It is going to be the first thing people see about Factorio. It might not make a good impression and could be confusing. I see most other release trailers celebrate the final product instead of the journey. At the point of release, new players probably would not be able to value that part in the video. You can do what Astroneer did and release a separate history video though. But this is just my opinion and if the history part does not take up the majority of the video it can be fine.

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

Gergely wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:39 pm
I do not like the idea of giving a history lesson in the launch trailer. It is going to be the first thing people see about Factorio. It might not make a good impression and could be confusing. I see most other release trailers celebrate the final product instead of the journey. At the point of release, new players probably would not be able to value that part in the video. You can do what Astroneer did and release a separate history video though. But this is just my opinion and if the history part does not take up the majority of the video it can be fine.
The "history" is going to be just a few seconds in the new trailer, and it won't be at the start either to avoid this confusing first impression.

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

oh my doesn't the fff page look different now, prep for 1.0 and looking forward to it.

since cyberpunk was delayed don't feel like the couple of weeks you decided to rush 1.0 can't be reclaimed, for that matter if you need another month, take it. as you liked to say, it's ready when it's ready.

as for putting in the history of the game in the launch trailer, imo it would probably be a good idea to make those additions in a separate video. no need to introduce confusion. as most of the previous versions are available on the website for download, i did try them out, and they are indeed painful, i began playing in 12, i put about 30 hours in 12 before i jumped into 13 and didn't play any more 12. for each release i moved to the new version upon it's release to experimental and only visited the previous version to collect some of my blueprints, screen shotting them or using a blueprint mod before that feature was integrated into the game. the blueprint feature has had both it's plusses and minuses, one plus is that it allows creators to move their designs from one game to another with ease, on the minus people will join your game just to take a look at the library, take what they want and leave. although i built a bunch of them i usually didn't make them friendly and it would sometimes take me a while to figure out how to connect it to my bus, lol. but so also it would take someone else that didn't know how it worked the same amount of time. i can't complain too much i have taken a fair number of designs that i saw and liked into my collection as well.

at any rate i really look forward to seeing the main trailer updated to the new graphics. i really feel that it could have used an update for 13 with the new train graphics and when you released a number of hd graphics it really felt dated. everyone gets a good chuckle when the biters destroy the turrets, only to get run over by the trains there near the end, so that part definitely needs to be in there. thanks again for everything you have done to create this amazing game, the journey with you has definitely been a great ride.

someone1337
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by someone1337 »

Plz re-compile (dont forget linux!) and re-release the old versions of the game! :)

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

someone1337 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:35 pm
Plz re-compile (dont forget linux!) and re-release the old versions of the game! :)
You can find the stable versions of previous releases on https://factorio.com/download/archive.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

I never really liked the gameplay trailer. The old main trailer is fantastic though. I love the part where the biters appear and then their attack force gets run over by a train. Will be good to see have that updated.

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

The rocket at the bottom of the page is great :-D
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

sowieso
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sowieso »

I also think the new FFFs are more difficult to read after the redesign. I love it, it looks really great, but maybe give the font, -sizes, -line breaks another thought (esp on big screens).
Looking forward to the new trailer :)

--
I still hope you'll find some time to add a simple keyboard shortcut to toggle trains manual/automatic mode. ;)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Every time I see the trailer from 2016, I get the same exhilarating feeling. I absolutely love everything in this trailer, from the cinematics of it to the OST. I really hope you'll be able to update it without changing its content too much.
The perfect awesomest trailer fitting the perfect awesomestest game.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hiladdar »

For a trailer, talking about the version 0.1.0, will be akin to a butcher describing the gory details of making blood sausage to a perspective client, so probably best to skip that part.

The feel of the current trailer is great, the the graphics used in it are dated. Unfortunately it will take some time to do it right. Now is the other thing to consider, will the trailer be only in English or will there be version of the trailer in other languages. The first languages that come to mind are German, Spanish, Russian, Korean, Japanese and others as time and costs permit.

Hiladdar

ytsejam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ytsejam »

Hiladdar wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:21 pm
For a trailer, talking about the version 0.1.0, will be akin to a butcher describing the gory details of making blood sausage to a perspective client, so probably best to skip that part.

The feel of the current trailer is great, the the graphics used in it are dated. Unfortunately it will take some time to do it right. Now is the other thing to consider, will the trailer be only in English or will there be version of the trailer in other languages. The first languages that come to mind are German, Spanish, Russian, Korean, Japanese and others as time and costs permit.

Hiladdar
It's a visual experience, there's no narration, no text, and no indication they intend to include those in the new trailer.

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

ytsejam wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:34 pm
It's a visual experience, there's no narration, no text, and no indication they intend to include those in the new trailer.
It could easily (and probably should) include "Factorio 0.X, <YEAR>" for the various snapshots, but that should not need translation either. ;)

Shingen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shingen »

it's not something i paid attention to when reading this FFF for the first time, but after reading those comments here and playing around with site's CSS, i'm on board that the new website's colors could be made better.
just because it's an FFF doesn't mean the text color needs to be #FFF :P
something between #CCC and #DDD is much better on the eyes for me.

also i think the paragraph headlines, e. g. "Locale plan update Klonan" could have the nickname part in a different color or significantly different size, because they look like one 'entity' now.
Last edited by Shingen on Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BattleFluffy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BattleFluffy »

The new website looks simply awesome. I love it!
Really looking forward to seeing the new trailer. The difference in quality between the very first trailer, and the more recent one with the train running over the bitters, is massive. I also loved that it did a good job of conveying the core of the gameplay without ever a word spoken - that was cool. I remember watching it with my friend and it meant that we could discuss what was happening onscreen without interrupting any commentary etc. Are you planning to do the same thing on the new trailer?

Return to “News”