Friday Facts #352 - New website

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Unknow0059
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #352 - New website

Post by Unknow0059 »

avoiding the use of bloated JavaScript frameworks helps keep everything load and render quickly, and of course the website can be browsed without JavaScript as well.
I am a huge fan of that decision. There is a lot of bloat in the web today.

I really like the artwork page. More games should have something like that. Some of those are free wallpapers.
Omarflyjoemacky wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:57 pm
I am a bit sad that the whole development ride is coming to an end. 1.0 is right around the corner! I hate to think "ah man, that's the last FFF."
It is coming... some day. :cry:
Wait, really? No way. I thought the game would still get updates and FFs after 1.0.
Oxyl. wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:45 pm
It's good to improve your website, but the game's homepage itself look very old too.
It might be a good thing to change this old 3D, there are so many talented artist for concept art !
I agree with you. I'm kinda sick of that screen and the background.

joseph222
Inserter
Inserter

Post by joseph222 »

A suggestion to the navigation corner
Telling people about the game is more important than selling merch as well as providing support.
Attachments
suggestion.png
suggestion.png (46.03 KiB) Viewed 8158 times

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ThaPear »

Klonan wrote:Since 1.0 is so close, I decided to just 'pretend' that 1.0 is already out, and update the content to match it. That means there is no mention of early access, ongoing development, roadmaps, alpha releases, etc.
This has me a bit worried, I thought you were planning to continue development after 1.0. Does this mean that you'll not be communicating it then?

MetereX
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MetereX »

The redesign looks pretty cool
Burner Inserters FTW!

BattleFluffy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BattleFluffy »

New website looks stunning!

I agree with your reduce-the-javascript bloat approach also.

Ormek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ormek »

I love the mood of this Friday Fact: 1.0 is out. Just two more month.

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Twisted_Code »

Omarflyjoemacky wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:57 pm
I am a bit sad that the whole development ride is coming to an end. 1.0 is right around the corner! I hate to think "ah man, that's the last FFF."
I know right? Of course, they could always continue the tradition, but find other things to talk about that have happened recently related to the game? Though, maybe rename it MFF (Monthly Factorio Facts) or Frequent Factorio Facts since there will probably be less to talk about.

I'm so proud of them. Glad to have gotten to know the game through this blog, glad to have contributed in some small way through my comments on the forum.
I'm even glad for the occasional production line breaking when, for instance, they change the recipe for science packs and I wasn't following the blog close enough to know... it's been fun!
I'm happy everything's coming together, Wube, and I'm on the hype train with everyone else rooting for you!
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.
The game's tech tree, a visual reference guide.

dyce
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dyce »

I like the new design! You did a great job!

I have only one question regarding 1.0 release: Will you continue publishing friday facts? Please tell me you will. :(

CzBuCHi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CzBuCHi »

Hey nice design for web site!

Any chance, that there will be bluepints section on it? (clone of mods section would do the trick) - maybe with BP library overhaul (search for BP from game itself) after 1.0 ?

PS: Yea i know about factorioprints.com / factorio.school but i think, that BPs could / should be part of factorio.com website.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

CzBuCHi wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:15 pm
Any chance, that there will be bluepints section on it? (clone of mods section would do the trick) - maybe with BP library overhaul (search for BP from game itself) after 1.0 ?
I doubt it... Remember the "controversial" FFF ? https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-309
There's a paragraph by Twinsen about BP import/export which suggest that BP string exchange is not something they want to expand.

CzBuCHi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CzBuCHi »

DanGio wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:41 pm
CzBuCHi wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:15 pm
I doubt it... Remember the "controversial" FFF ? https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-309
There's a paragraph by Twinsen about BP import/export which suggest that BP string exchange is not something they want to expand.
i can live without search in-game but i really like the idea about prints.factorio.com ....

psychomuffin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by psychomuffin »

If you're going to redesign stuff, I want to voice some thoughts about the light/white text on dark/black screens. Now I know lots of people love dark theme, but when it is a lot of text, I get bad eyestrain. Often times when I want to read your FFFs, I copy all the text, and paste it into word unformatted so I can have black text on a white screen. Can you please keep this in mind, or even provide a button for white mode? Look at YouTube, which allows for both modes.

Timjfjdd
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Timjfjdd »

psychomuffin wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:57 am
If you're going to redesign stuff, I want to voice some thoughts about the light/white text on dark/black screens. Now I know lots of people love dark theme, but when it is a lot of text, I get bad eyestrain. Often times when I want to read your FFFs, I copy all the text, and paste it into word unformatted so I can have black text on a white screen. Can you please keep this in mind, or even provide a button for white mode? Look at YouTube, which allows for both modes.
I have the exact opposite, i prefer dark theme because its easier to read long texts with it.

Alice3173
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alice3173 »

Timjfjdd wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:43 am
I have the exact opposite, i prefer dark theme because its easier to read long texts with it.
Unless you're reading in a dark room, a dark theme is actually legitimately worse for your eyes. What you need is a theme that matches the ambient lighting of the room you're in. And for those of us that actually need to actively avoid eyestrain because of eye problems, a dark theme caused FAR more issues than it could ever solve. A site only providing a dark them has on several occasions in the past been reason enough for me to simply stop bothering to use it because it's not worth burning out my retinas when I go to a normal site.

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hiladdar »

I have seen both the new web site and the new mods portal. They look nice, but the major drawback is they take significantly much longer to load then the ones they replaced.

Hiladdar.

Schallfalke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schallfalke »

I want to comment on the new design of mod portal, since I create/update mods quick often.
  • The style and colours look much nicer now, and more comfortable to read. The best part is getting rid of "black text on grey background", which was like eye examination every time I tried to read the numbers. :geek:
  • The hyperlinks are less eye-catching now. I am not sure if it is a good thing. The new dull blue links fit with the overall theme, but the former bright orange links are definitely easier to spot. :|
  • It seems that some Markdown syntax is no longer supported... I like to use quote blocks to display code for fellow modders in FAQ page, or report/suggest code changes in Discussion page. Now not working in both pages. No indentations, no font size/colour difference, whatever... Wish that would work again. :cry:
  • Tables using Markdown syntax also get some problems. Tables get collapsed. Words are sticking with neighbouring columns, and borders get banished. Also wish that would work again. :cry:

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

The new website broke at least one script I use. Noice.

Code: Select all

<!--
                Hello!
                If you intend to scrape the frontpage for releases,
                please use https://factorio.com/api/latest-releases instead!
            -->
:lol:

gacekssj4
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gacekssj4 »

SuperSandro2000 wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:25 am
The new website broke at least one script I use. Noice.

Code: Select all

<!--
                Hello!
                If you intend to scrape the frontpage for releases,
                please use https://factorio.com/api/latest-releases instead!
            -->
:lol:
:lol: :lol:

New site. So heavy for me. Needs more space. When I look at it it reminds me of old CRT monitor than new slick LCD AMOLED (those borders).

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

:!: :arrow: The mod portal is too heavy for my tablet, I cannot scroll it without huge lags.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

I must say, the new design looks quite nice! It does, however, add quite a bit of white space and clutter to the page.

Return to β€œNews”