Friday Facts #348 - The final GUI update

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #348 - The final GUI update

Post by Jap2.0 »

5thHorseman wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:03 pm
aka13 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:15 pm
I hate the new substation noise, it literally just shits in your ear
Dear God I hope you mean figuratively.
:lol:

You had me laughing for a good long while there.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Scherazade
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Scherazade »

It makes me sad that they are just polishing the game instead of adding new content and I cannot believe anybody actually asked for this. On they other hand Factorio is a great game I sunk 1,505 hours in and with mods it is still fun. Let's hope that just making it look nice boosts the sales and this leads to more development. Without complaining I am really curious if anybody playing this is interested in particles, sounds and glowing heat pipes.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Scherazade wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:29 pm
It makes me sad that they are just polishing the game instead of adding new content and I cannot believe anybody actually asked for this. On they other hand Factorio is a great game I sunk 1,505 hours in and with mods it is still fun. Let's hope that just making it look nice boosts the sales and this leads to more development. Without complaining I am really curious if anybody playing this is interested in particles, sounds and glowing heat pipes.
I‘m interested in particels. The update did significantly improve UPS in some of my larger bases.
After 8 years in EA it‘s time to have 1.0
This said, I‘m excited how the project will continue after launch.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

conn11 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:43 pm
This said, I‘m excited how the project will continue after launch.

I'm ready for Factorio DLC/v2.0...

th.jpg
th.jpg (24.51 KiB) Viewed 6582 times

dudeTheory
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by dudeTheory »

Awesome work guys! I haven't been playing in a while, I can't wait to try all the new updates!
I love all the small graphical effects! The game really starting to feel very polished. The UI is really good!

I've always wanted the night vision to have a slight monochrome green tint and give it the distorted static effect (the same one used in map mode).

The night mode is so good now! Sometimes I like playing without the night vision.
Without night vision you can see all of the glow and lighting effects better.
Make more night effects! Like James Cameron's Avatar (but way more subtle)

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Scherazade wrote:
Without complaining I am really curious if anybody playing this is interested in particles, sounds and glowing heat pipes.
I am, a lot. I love the polishing work they did over the last year. I think it is the right™ choice to do polishing before launching with version 1.0. After that, there may/will be more content updates / DLCs. Considering you already spent so much time with it, it sounds a bit strange to ask for / request even more content. You know there are still other games to play, right?

raiguard
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by raiguard »

Scherazade wrote:
I'm interested in all of those things. While the game is fun, I've always been bothered by the lackluster GUI and the tinny sounds. I'm glad they're polishing.
Don't forget, you're here forever.

EnerJi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EnerJi »

That means it's not all good news. It doesn't look like the Blueprint Library will be getting an update before 1.0, currently making it a very low hanging fruit as far as the GUI is concerned.
Ooof, this is the most disappointing news I could have heard. I like the 0.18 announced changes, but I would trade them all for the current 0.17 stable + a blueprint functionality revamp.

Raiguard wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:31 pm
I hope that someone can find some time to make blueprint books nestable, and allow storing decon and upgrade planners in the library. No GUI changes necessary, just some functional changes. That would infinitely improve the utility of the library without needing an entire overhaul.
factoriouzr wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:13 pm
I'm really disappointed that you are pushing the blueprint library improvements till later. This was the most important change in my opinion. This was the thing that needed the most improvement, and after waiting for years for this, you are still pushing it out.

Really disappointed.
_Attila_ wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:31 am
This was my most awaited feature too. Without this, it is really hard to organize blueprints for different mods. Yes, I can have different installations, but this has been promised and then poof...
Hear, hear. Completely agree with all of the above. :(
Rseding91 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:59 am
Nobody promised anything.
I wouldn't say it was promised (everything is subject to change or delay; I get it), but it was on the official roadmap for 0.17/0.18, there were several FFF and forum comments which mentioned it, etc. Life's not perfect and some things are out of anyone's control, but I think it's understandable that many of us would be disappointed.

On a more positive note, I remain hopeful that it might still be tackled in the not-too-distant future. Please consider this a statement of extreme interest for this to be one of the first items tackled post-1.0. Thanks! :!:

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Scherazade wrote:
It makes me sad that they are just polishing the game instead of adding new content and I cannot believe anybody actually asked for this.
The end of the dev cycle before releasing 1.0 is exactly the time to polish the game and add all the things that no one thinks to ask for because it's just expected.

It is also exactly the worst time to introduce new features.

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MiniHerc »

I can't exactly say why, but the new landfill sound is vaguely disturbing on a deeply psychological level...

gives me the heebie jeebies, to be honest

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

Ambaire wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:31 am
I can't exactly say why, but the new landfill sound is vaguely disturbing on a deeply psychological level...

gives me the heebie jeebies, to be honest
Not sure why this comment sparked it, but the new sounds certainly make me wish there was a little peppering of "splash" particles to visually represent the new splashing sounds...

_Attila_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by _Attila_ »

I would trade all of the art and sound changes for functionality polishing. Blueprint book library and a creation date displayed on the save game loading screen at the very least and sort on that date would be nice. Every time I want to start playing with a major mod, I resist because I already have 20 BP books and it is already a chore to find anything. I also have lots of save games and cannot tell which ones I played last. Annoying and gives a feeling of unfinished functionality.

No amount of fancy particles or candy colors will make up for the lack of relatively minor implementation cost features that one would use all the time.
Attila's QuickBar Mod - Auto-links hand crafted item to first free quickbar slot if not already linked.
Attila's Signals Mod - Alternate signals to use in same circuit as standard signals.
Attila's Zoom Mod - Modifies zoom functionality.

Sba
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Sba »

I think the green, red and blue circuits and sulfur is far too bright. Before that, everything was more homogeneous and pleasant. With the symbols, I found it more homogeneous before, because much more 2D favors because it looks homogeneous. A lot of things are now moving towards 3D and some icons do not fit immediately, but the icons are nice overall. Sounds go okay to good.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

_Attila_ wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:12 am
I would trade all of the art and sound changes for functionality polishing. Blueprint book library and a creation date displayed on the save game loading screen at the very least and sort on that date would be nice. Every time I want to start playing with a major mod, I resist because I already have 20 BP books and it is already a chore to find anything. I also have lots of save games and cannot tell which ones I played last. Annoying and gives a feeling of unfinished functionality.

No amount of fancy particles or candy colors will make up for the lack of relatively minor implementation cost features that one would use all the time.
This, except I would trade all blueprint libraries in the world for consistent fluid mechanics.

A necessary fix to an actual, tangible gameplay feature that is actually tangibly broken. Quite possibly the primary focus when polishing the game. Preferably not a "maybe".

vanatteveldt
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vanatteveldt »

I like everything except the double row of tabs in the crafting menu.
There are 6 options (in vanilla; 4 craft categories, character, and logistics), I don't think 6 options need a two-level menu structure.

Most annoyingly/confusingly, one of the craft categories is called logistics. Thus, when you want to craft something from the logistics menu, you don't click logistics, but you click crafting and then the logistics button. This is obscured somewhat by the icons used in the second row, but if you would make everything text "logistics" would appear twice, which shows how confusing it is to engineering brains.

ThorsDragon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ThorsDragon »

Woooowwww........... IT'S SO PRETTY. O.O
... wait- that's what the engine looks like now??? WHOA.
Holy GUI changes Batman!
These are so very good looking. NICE JOB GUYS!!!
I'm always impressed with your communication and continued labor of love, and the quality work you develop and deliver!!! :D

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

5thHorseman wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:03 pm
aka13 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:15 pm
I hate the new substation noise, it literally just shits in your ear
Dear God I hope you mean figuratively.
Well, after I take the earphones off, iot suddenly becomes figurative, but standing near it and swithing to anything outside the game, I could've sworn there is physical shit manifesting in my ear.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

benjaphar
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by benjaphar »

The new icons look great. Although, on behalf of colorblind players, I wish there were more difference in value between the red and green circuits as they're pretty hard to tell apart. This also applies to the red and green science packs. And in case additional clarification is needed, by value, I'm talking about the lightness or darkness of the color. The red and green differ in hue, but their apparent value is pretty close.

CheeseMcBurger
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CheeseMcBurger »

Sba wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:40 pm
I think the green, red and blue circuits and sulfur is far too bright. Before that, everything was more homogeneous and pleasant. With the symbols, I found it more homogeneous before, because much more 2D favors because it looks homogeneous. A lot of things are now moving towards 3D and some icons do not fit immediately, but the icons are nice overall. Sounds go okay to good.
There's a bit of saturation creep happening. Same happens to photographers after long sessions retouching a photo, if they are careless.

Thrawcheld
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Thrawcheld »

The "logistics" icon still uses the ancient cargo wagon design (see also the logistics techs in the current version). I hope this will be fixed for 1.0!
fff-348-new-gui-styles.png
fff-348-new-gui-styles.png (14.05 KiB) Viewed 6112 times

Return to “News”