Friday Facts #69 - Sympathy for the creeper

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Cordylus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #69 Sympathy for the creeper

Post by Cordylus »

I always thinked that biters are the mindless zerg-like creatures and killing them is very good for the whole planet... :|

Alway
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Alway »

Even before reading this, I was given precisely that impression from the aesthetics and pollution's relationship with gameplay. In fact, I found it somewhat reminiscent of a particular children's book I liked as a kid, "The Wump World."

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

New gameplay mechanic announced: Greepeace may decide to infiltrate your base and sabotage your factory builds.
Upcoming feature: robot unions.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

FlamingNx9
Inserter
Inserter

Post by FlamingNx9 »

It's been a goddamn long time.
I do miss the time where there was just one enemy with the same sprite.

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

Can we get a soilent brown processing plant for the natives?

Oxygene
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Oxygene »

See now from creepers my mind skips over the minecraft variety and goes towards the starcraft "creep" on the ground. What if the biter nests started producing a terrain effect like creep which spreads out from where they are and covers over resources even out of their current aggro range. This would give a bigger insentive to attack them!

t33
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by t33 »

Gandalf wrote:New gameplay mechanic announced: Greepeace may decide to infiltrate your base and sabotage your factory builds.
I really like this idea, how about adding more "natural" mobs to the game?

DevilXD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DevilXD »

Lol, 528 FPS on the first version :D

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

Oxygene wrote:See now from creepers my mind skips over the minecraft variety and goes towards the starcraft "creep" on the ground. What if the biter nests started producing a terrain effect like creep which spreads out from where they are and covers over resources even out of their current aggro range. This would give a bigger insentive to attack them!
t33 wrote:
Gandalf wrote:New gameplay mechanic announced: Greepeace may decide to infiltrate your base and sabotage your factory builds.
I really like this idea, how about adding more "natural" mobs to the game?
I think this is my cue to bring up This old, venerable, and recently resurrected thread. There's good stuff here throughout. In the case of additional incentives to attack the creepers though, Hitzu's comment on the bottom of page 3 is particularly relevant.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

Yolan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Yolan »

A very nice post. Thank you for going into some of the thoughts behind the game. Factorio is something like an exploration of or meditation on technology and progress. The way that the factory takes on a "life of its own". It is quite philosophical in this way. The player begins with very simple actions, working with their hands to make things. But then slowly as a network of processes is created by them, they are engulfed, surrounded. Everything you do becomes a step "on the way to", or "in order to" do something else, which is in turn for something else, which is also for something else, and so on.

Talon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Talon »

kovarex wrote:You can see the point of view of Albert this time: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-69
(google translate)

Hello Kovarex.
Is unto you the game Earth 2150 Escape from the blue Planet known? (release year 1997 or 2000? and earth 2160 in year 2005)
How about with this graphic from this game?

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_2150
Image: https://www.google.de/search?q=earth+21 ... d=0CCAQsAQ

When I first saw you Factorio, i thought of earth 2150, looks even after industry. Or?
The camera can rotate 360 degrees and tilt 180 degrees.
Zoom is also possible and it is 3D.

Would this be something for Factorio and is something possible for you? (programming)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

See into this thread, it reflects also the devs opinion about 3d Rendering: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 7&hilit=3d
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Thourion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Thourion »

I would also like to thank for the post, very interesting read, and wow! for the pics, i wasnt aware of those early ones, since i joined the party late.

goduranus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by goduranus »

kovarex wrote:You can see the point of view of Albert this time: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-69
This is what I first thought when I saw the game, you're playing as an genocidal alien invader who pillages a planet for its resources, and massacres the natives to skin them for your leather pillows. And those poor chaps hate you but are helpless to resist because of your superior lasers, powered armor, and shields :?

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

goduranus wrote:
This is what I first thought when I saw the game, you're playing as an genocidal alien invader who pillages a planet for its resources, and massacres the natives to skin them for your leather pillows. And those poor chaps hate you but are helpless to resist because of your superior lasers, powered armor, and shields :?
So that planet is called Earth? :lol: :?

Return to “News”