Friday Facts #67 - Happy new year

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Nic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #67 - Happy new year

Post by Nic »

EDIT:

kovarex already replied to my seperate post.

I totally overlooked it - sorry.
Last edited by Nic on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Nic and I love to play games - the more unique the game concept is, the more I am up to buy a game and support the developers with my ideas.
If you want to watch my gameplay videos you do find them on YouTube: http://fwd.nicmd.de/ytng

Overread
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Overread »

I wonder if you could tie floors into buildings - so that during the production of a building you could add the required resource type to the buildings list so that when you put it down it auto-generates the floor type around itself? (much like how buildings in Red Alert would have a default "floor" space in front of them - though that was for entirely different purposes of course.

However its done having floors would be a really neat feature!

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

Happy new year.

the floor idea I love it!!! soon we can get rid of the ugly grass or sand i does look nice but in the factory were you can see it it doesnt look so good

Greetings Smarty

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Floor-like options I want:

Road-type floor, optimized for Cars and other rubber-wheeled type vehicles. I don't mind if it gets damaged if you drive a Tank on it. It's meant for roads. Wheeled vehicle should get a speed bonus when driving on them, although of course a relatively small one. If a normal tiled path gives a +% speed bonus to both Feet, Wheels and Tracks, then this should give +10% to Whells and nothing to Feet and Tracks.

Rubber-siding, to put on the edges of the Road floor. That's not really a floor tile per se, but rather a collusion-protection measure that means that if my car collides with it, both take less damage than what would happen if a normal collision between a Car and something.

Smaller, less energy-burning street lights, to put next to the road. The current Lamps burn 5 kW, so I'm thinking this one could burn 1.25 kW and have half the light radius. That way, physics won't be rotating in its grave.

Specifically, I'm thinking these 3 could be used in combination, to make Car travel lanes that are both fast (because of the +10% speed bonus to Wheeled) and fairly safe (because of the rubber siding. A bit like this:

DLDDDDDDLDDDDDDLDDDDDLDRRRRRRRRLDDDDDLDDDDDDLDDDDDDLDDDDDDLDDD
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
DDDDLDDDDDDLDDDDDDLDDDDDDLDDDDDDLDDDDDDLDDDDDDLDDDDDDLDDDDDDLD

D is ordinary Dirt
C is the rubber-siding. The opening above is a place for the Car to drive away from the road, so that the driver can exit the vehicle.
R is the road itself
L are the weaker (1.25 kW) street Lamps. They're closely spaced because their radius is half that of normal Lamps (which burn 5 kW)

EDIT: Changed the bottom opening, which was not meant to be there, replacing 8xR with 8xC.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Nic wrote:...
BEWARE. His proposal got silently accepted without much of a discusstion
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =30&t=7632

My opinion: I could live with it. It avoids temporary power outages while reworking power network.
I guess that you'd need to drop all pole wires before removing it to separate power networks now?

I dislike not being able to preview/confirm/easily_undo the newly implemented "autorewiring" action.
Also: Nor the poles nor wires are alive. Who put up that extra wire? Gremlins?

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

MF- wrote:
Nic wrote:...
BEWARE. His proposal got silently accepted without much of a discusstion
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =30&t=7632

My opinion: I could live with it. It avoids temporary power outages while reworking power network.
I guess that you'd need to drop all pole wires before removing it to separate power networks now?

I dislike not being able to preview/confirm/easily_undo the newly implemented "autorewiring" action.
Also: Nor the poles nor wires are alive. Who put up that extra wire? Gremlins?
Sounds like it will only reconnect poles that are already connected to the same network. That's better than the "reconnect all poles in range" that I was thinking of before.

branetown
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by branetown »

Perfect. Beautiful. Love it! Keep up the good work. Wish I could buy it again! ;)

Schorty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schorty »

branetown wrote:Perfect. Beautiful. Love it! Keep up the good work. Wish I could buy it again! ;)
I think, there might be ways to donate some money ;)
Or just buy the game for some friends of yours!
Tired of not being able to reduce the pollution? Try the Air-Filter-Mod
With this, you are able to use the pollution levels in your circuit network: Pollution detector

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

kovarex wrote:I inspected the savegame just to find out, it is one of the biggest factories I have seen
I have to say, I'm a bit proud right now :P Although I've never seen one of those 200h monstrosities some veterans are building for months now...
If someone is curious: The save mentioned by kovarex is a 70h factory, built by me and a friend (with around 15h idle time were the factory was still running in background). The actual savegame (WIP) is in the thread kovarex posted. We planned on showing the factory in the Creations forum after some more work got done ;)

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

It's great to see the progress. I haven't been able to play much in the last few month but over the holidays I purchased two more copies for some real life friends so we could hammer on the multi-player setups. LOVING all the changes that have been made. Spitters REALLY change the game up and the multiplayers worked great for us over 5 different days of 4 - 12 hours of constant gaming. The only consistent problem we had was that death would cause player disconnects and really mess things up.

All in all quite stable and getting there and I now have gotten two more people hooked on the game.

Keep up the great work!!!!!

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

immibis wrote: You can also shift-click a power pole to disconnect it from everything, and you can manually connect two poles using copper cable.
Wow. Something like this should probably go into the game tips already.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

DRBLN
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRBLN »

Please, could you clarify if you plan to release update on Monday?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

DRBLN wrote:Please, could you clarify if you plan to release update on Monday?
Yes :) https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=3&t=7820

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

Loved the picture this time =]

Return to “News”