Friday Facts #66 - Merry christmas

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #66 - Merry christmas

Post by FishSandwich »

Artman40 wrote:One thing that really would benefit the game was a small item editor for making custom levels. This means that it would be really easy to add items which you could produce by setting things like which items they need, where you could craft it and how much time it takes to craft them.
This exists. It's called modding.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Night_Ange1 wrote:Can we add Gates to the entities which can receive a signal. Gates getting signals operate off signal otherwise they work as before. (Gated crosswalks :))
I am not sure if you mean gates as "electronic circuitry" or gates as "mechanical obstacle"
At first it sounded as if any machine could be equipped with a "control gate" module,
which would power up/down the machine based on the CCnet condition status

But the gated crosswalks part confused things

LordFedora
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LordFedora »

I think he was taking about physical gates, as control gates aren't used much outside of computer science

Night_Ange1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Night_Ange1 »

Yes sorry to not be clear but I mean the physical gates that go on stone walls which open and close. The idea would be to tie them to signals and block your path so you can't cross the rail road

Gemoron
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Gemoron »

if you are working on the signal system, could you add some checkable states for the trains as well like wagon empty or wagon full? that would help my train system a lot, and it would save me from tinkering with the times every time miners run out (lil exaggeration, but it should make a point).

If working on the sinal system starts early february, do you start developing on the new endgame first? I'm really looking forward to see more information.

And thank you for fixing the scenario pack.

Physix Factory
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Physix Factory »

Speaking of Trains, Hows about Electric Trains?? :mrgreen: Run on batteries, like the power armor suit batteries, and things like a portable fusion reactor, panels, or run on overheads? :?:

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

FishSandwich wrote:
Artman40 wrote:One thing that really would benefit the game was a small item editor for making custom levels. This means that it would be really easy to add items which you could produce by setting things like which items they need, where you could craft it and how much time it takes to craft them.
This exists. It's called modding.
I think you got me wrong. I meant a feature that allows to make items WITHOUT modding.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Why should that be needed? Just mod it.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

With addition of all these new controls please consider the current cable system. Current designs are buried underneath the web of red and green wires, please make a bit more organized as well.

Maybe use poles for long distance wiring and some ground wiring for local stuff. (terraria-like? who knows)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Garm wrote:With addition of all these new controls please consider the current cable system. Current designs are buried underneath the web of red and green wires, please make a bit more organized as well.

Maybe use poles for long distance wiring and some ground wiring for local stuff. (terraria-like? who knows)
We have been considering this many times. The conclusion is, that calculating the network flow is too time demanding calculation. In Factorio people have tens of thousands machines and electric poles in the network, and all the algorithms I know about are not linear but quadratic.

tecxx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tecxx »

merry christmas and thanks for the awesome game.

about the "endgame": every game needs some kind of "goal" to reach, to make you feel that you have "won" or at least achieved something.
just building more stuff, like another mining site here and another processing plant there, gets old soon. factorio currently has the same issue as "banished". an awesome game, brutally hard in the beginning, lots of fun while you struggle to grow and improve, and then there is ... nothing. yes, you can build three more houses there and another hut here, but whats the point? to make your population count go from 100 to 200? it lost me there.
with factorio, my interest usually vanishes once i finished automating tier three modules. there is nothing more to do, except rinse and repeat. starting a new game is much more rewarding at this point.
so +1 to you for realizing that "becoming a rich bastard" might not be the best goal :)

Blackence
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blackence »

The 0.12 circuit network plans sound awesome. Exactly what I was waiting for, and so far my modding attempts have not been very successful. :cry:

There's a thread in ideas/suggestions forum about advanced circuit networks, maybe you can get some sensor ideas from there.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

kovarex wrote:
Garm wrote:With addition of all these new controls please consider the current cable system. Current designs are buried underneath the web of red and green wires, please make a bit more organized as well.

We have been considering this many times. The conclusion is, that calculating the network flow is too time demanding calculation. In Factorio people have tens of thousands machines and electric poles in the network, and all the algorithms I know about are not linear but quadratic.

I am sorry, but you misunderstood.

Current Power system is absolutely fine, even circuit system is fine as it is. The problem lies in the large amount of signaling cables between poles and their targets resulting is total mess of red and green wires making it visually challenging to decipher.

I am afraid that if we would start building "control rooms" with lots of controls the poles around will look like
this
Here is the example from the game - kinda hard to decipher connections already
We need to somehow hide all these cables between sensor\receiver and nearby pole

just_dont
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by just_dont »

I wasn't there in time to comment on FFF #64 and the ending, so I'll do it here: indeed, as noticed by many players, "win by monies" sounds quite weak and anti-climactic. However, the whole "build your spaceship" concept is cool indeed and should really be attempted.

In my opinion, the optimal way to proceed for a release is to make some ending that could be easily expandable in future, but is not such an obvious placeholder as rocket defense. Given that the whole spaceship idea will be nicely implemented, you could go (for the moment) with a very simple "build a ship to get off this rather unfriendly planet (with useful stuff such as minerals and alien artifacts)" concept. If you skip small details and contextual explanations (i.e. it's better not to answer any "why"s), it's very open-ended and later could be further extended in many ways by removing the "get off" part and replacing it with something more grand and complex.

PS: Another unrelated thought on future plans -- you should really consider making game "less predictable" for the sake of replayability. I.e. random events (not the "your factory randomly explode" events, that would be just annoying), natives' migrations, possibly weather/seasons stuff, etc etc. At the moment, there's not much unpredictabilty (the terrain, the minerals' placement, the lairs -- are random, but that's all!), and it sort of crushes replayability.
Last edited by just_dont on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cloner
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cloner »

Kovarex, can you also make the smart inserters smarter? I would like it to be able to handle different items seperately (now the AND operation is forced on red and green condition). It would be great if i could set it up to pick repair packs from train if there are less than 50, or fuel if there is less than 100, or lasers if those are less then 30 and so on... (currenlty i didnt find a sollution to make this possible, as long as one condition is met it blocks the "smart" inserter)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cloner wrote:Kovarex, can you also make the smart inserters smarter? I would like it to be able to handle different items seperately (now the AND operation is forced on red and green condition). It would be great if i could set it up to pick repair packs from train if there are less than 50, or fuel if there is less than 100, or lasers if those are less then 30 and so on... (currenlty i didnt find a sollution to make this possible, as long as one condition is met it blocks the "smart" inserter)
You need currently for every item one smart inserter to do this. And I don't know how this could work with more than one item ever, that would mean, that an inserter knows what is in the net, before he grab an item.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Zeeth_Kyrah
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zeeth_Kyrah »

The thing I've found useful in circuit sensors comes from a mod: sensing fluid level in storage tanks. That way I can control my oil production better, so I never run out of light and heavy oil. I'd also like more fluids (and maybe more materials), like fuel for your spaceship. And let's have blue wire to go with the red and green! It gets difficult trying to control complex systems with only two signal lines.

I like the rocket defense now, but it feels more like the entry to the late game instead of the end of the game. So you get this ten minute event which is probably a swarm defense scenario. Cool, then you go on to launch into the sky, right? But where is the flight? I want airplanes, not just robot drones. Why are airplanes and spaceships threatened, is it only ground forces or are there enemies in the air and space?
Last edited by Zeeth_Kyrah on Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Planned projects: Energy Crystals Plus, Minor Fluid Handling, Small electric furnaces
(high-energy materials and assembler, fluid void burner and small tank, tiny and slow furnaces with charcoal)

Zeeth_Kyrah
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zeeth_Kyrah »

ssilk wrote:
Cloner wrote:Kovarex, can you also make the smart inserters smarter? I would like it to be able to handle different items seperately (now the AND operation is forced on red and green condition). It would be great if i could set it up to pick repair packs from train if there are less than 50, or fuel if there is less than 100, or lasers if those are less then 30 and so on... (currenlty i didnt find a sollution to make this possible, as long as one condition is met it blocks the "smart" inserter)
You need currently for every item one smart inserter to do this. And I don't know how this could work with more than one item ever, that would mean, that an inserter knows what is in the net, before he grab an item.
That's what the circuit network is for, yes, for the smart inserter to know what is in storage before grabbing something. The problem is not being able to choose separate items based on separate conditions. I'm okay with using separate inserters, but I think the question being raised is more about inserters which are more programmable -- such as, being able to choose how these conditions relate to each other, instead of only two possible signal sets.

I think that belongs in the realm of mod items, though. And I'd call it a programmable inserter, so you can use If/Then groups and choose your Boolean connectors between the groupings.
Planned projects: Energy Crystals Plus, Minor Fluid Handling, Small electric furnaces
(high-energy materials and assembler, fluid void burner and small tank, tiny and slow furnaces with charcoal)

Cloner
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cloner »

Zeeth_Kyrah wrote:
ssilk wrote:
That's what the circuit network is for, yes, for the smart inserter to know what is in storage before grabbing something. The problem is not being able to choose separate items based on separate conditions. I'm okay with using separate inserters, but I think the question being raised is more about inserters which are more programmable -- such as, being able to choose how these conditions relate to each other, instead of only two possible signal sets.

I think that belongs in the realm of mod items, though. And I'd call it a programmable inserter, so you can use If/Then groups and choose your Boolean connectors between the groupings.
Being able to fill a box with exactly 10 ore 10 copper and 10 rocket defences is something very basic and should be handled by smart inserter. Currently i dont know any wat to achieve this without using 3 "smart" inserters.

I dont think this belongs to mods as this is one of those core activities that would allow more factory designs. All i want is for smart inserter to check the destination and filter items accordingly. The current smart inserter after the changes will be too complex, bit still wont solve this simple task.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Night_Ange1 wrote:Yes sorry to not be clear but I mean the physical gates that go on stone walls which open and close. The idea would be to tie them to signals and block your path so you can't cross the rail road
Those are on the list ever since the announcement
FF #66 wrote: Receivers
  • Gate

Return to “News”