Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Regular reports on Factorio development.
meganothing
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #313 - Light at the end of the bug tunnel

Post by meganothing »

Klonan wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:33 pm
m.stitek wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:29 pm
What was the pub you were in yesterday? Anyway, glad to see so many bugs squished. Thank you.
Yes. Pcgames needs a new detail to spin out of proportion. Imagine it were called "Burger Joint". JOINT!!!!
Klonan wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:33 pm

Jama Steakhouse
Bland name, too bad. Could you give some more details. Maybe someone spilled the beans, wink wink nudge nudge :D

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

I am starting to think the PC Games article was a hit piece commissioned by EA Games or Take 2k.

pleegwat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by pleegwat »

Are game developers not allowed to be humans any more?

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

„Professional game journalism“ a contradiction in term.

VuiMuich
Inserter
Inserter

Post by VuiMuich »

:lol: the new landfill looks like waffles, it's great!!

Thanks for always being open to community input.
[ˈfʊɪ̯ mʊɪ̯ç]
Bavarian, translates to: Lots of Milk

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

WoW Classic is not only stealing our Factorio development speed but is is also preventing us to get a decently lengthy FFF.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

You reprobates changed the landfill to diagonal abomination!

Everything is crooked, reality is poison! I want it to go back!

<NO_NAME>
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by <NO_NAME> »

My first thought after reading the title:
I am a translator. And what did you do for Factorio?
Check out my mod "Realistic Ores" and my other mods!

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Ernestas or Albert, or both of you? wrote: I just felt a bit guilty for not coming with the best approach from the beginning
Maybe you're just locked to the grid yourself and need to rotate ;D. Also this way i get this warm feeling of "being heared" by the mighty people above! Cheers. And good flight. And can we agree on renaming "Landfill" to "Water eradicator" now ;p?
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

zebediah49
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zebediah49 »

Hey, on the bright side, it means that Factorio has hit it big enough that "the devs go take a vacation" counts as news.

BattleFluffy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BattleFluffy »

My 100th post.

The new landfill graphics look AWESOME and you shouldn't feel guilty at all for not coming up with the best solution yourself. You should feel PROUD that you and the rest of the dev team have the courage and objectivity to listen to the community's suggestions and implement good ones!

Kovarex and everyone else should also not feel guilty for spending some time chilling out, considering how much work and effort goes into the game the rest of the time. The norm of the game dev industry is crunch hours and that is basically just insane, so well done for leading the way on work/life balance.

Thank you guys for staying the course and defeating even the impossible-seeming bugs and making a truly stable, stable candidate. Hopefully this is the one!!

I've said it before but it's absolutely worth repeating, the Factorio dev team is the best game dev team in the world. This FFF proves it again. :>

EpicSlayer7666
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EpicSlayer7666 »

hope the bug hunting goes well!

also you are not supposed to read those Game Journalists's sites anymore, we are not in the 90s anymore and they are known to only produce hit pieces and hate clicks. YouTube constantly exposes them for what they are. so yeah, if you sneeze, you got a disease, if you speak, you speak profanity, if you think, you are plotting...

treat them like a dying wounded animal ready to bite you in it's final moments... and that means, just stay away and ignore them till they fade away. real advertisement is done on YouTube. since people shows their faces, you cannot point at text the same.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Looks like Ali Jones had to write "something new" about WoW Classic and was not able to find any uncovered trivia about the game itself.
Well, gratis advertising for Factorio in a filler article is still gratis advertising for Factorio...

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

I expect SEO favors mentioning as many popular games as possible in the same article.

So it's a compliment that they mentioned you. You're important enough to plug into SEO holes.

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hiladdar »

conn11 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:23 pm
„Professional game journalism“ a contradiction in term.
Several other contradictory terms:

Military Intelligence
Light Infantry
Friendly Fire
Smart Technology
Just In Time Logistics
Easy Workout

Sorry, but those just came to mind. I really like it and I'll be adding it to my list of contradictory terms.

But seriously, my preference for the land fill grid is what was presented in FF #312.

Hiladdar

LDJ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

You guys are awesome!

Post by LDJ »

I'm reading the FFFs now for quite a while now and i just wanted to thank you for the insight and also for the smile it brings when i read about the tricky issues and your way to cope with them.
I just felt a bit guilty for not coming with the best approach from the beginning
As a fellow developer i know this feeling, but i came to the conclusion that there is nothing to feel guilty about. I find it most refreshing to get other opinions that improves my work. This is a part of being a good (not only) developer. So i think your interaction with the community is exemplary!

Crash ratio
I played Factorio for about 150 hours and never had a crash. If i read that chart right it shows crashes per day? If so do you know how may installations/instances of Factorio had been running? I thing a graph that shows a ratio of crashes / instance would show your progress on the stability front even better.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

I really do like the diagonal landfill. Prevents some potentially bad visuals that could otherwise result from slightly misaligning grids.

Congrats on all the progress!

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

Any chance that with the bugs going down, we might see some action on the, uh, rather lengthy list of 'minor issues'?

meganothing
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by meganothing »

EpicSlayer7666 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:05 am
also you are not supposed to read those Game Journalists's sites anymore, we are not in the 90s anymore and they are known to only produce hit pieces and hate clicks. YouTube constantly exposes them for what they are. so yeah, if you sneeze, you got a disease, if you speak, you speak profanity, if you think, you are plotting...

treat them like a dying wounded animal ready to bite you in it's final moments... and that means, just stay away and ignore them till they fade away. real advertisement is done on YouTube. since people shows their faces, you cannot point at text the same.
Sure, but is youtube really any better? It operates on the same currency, sensationalism.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Oughties I could understand (and even RockPaperShotgun seems to have gotten worse in the recent years...), but game journalism websites in the 90's ?!?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “News”