Friday Facts #311 - New remnants 3

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #311 - New remnants 3

Post by Durabys »

LightspeedLazer wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:39 pm
Antyradek wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:40 pm
For me, the complete must would be:
- Mods enabled per-map not per installation. So you can have multiple sets of mods for multiple maps.
- Mods downloaded when connecting to the server, so anyone can always play without installing anything.
Factorio already does this. There's a "Sync mods" button at the top of the "Load Saved Game" GUI. Of course you have to use the in game mod download not the mod portal.
Klonan wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:08 pm
...Klonan-man Bat-signal...
Uh oh. I meet a few people who also complained about not being able to sync mods for modded MP games...

...and then I told them that Factorio does that automatically since 0.17...

...and EVERYONE was surprised at that.

Wube? Can you please make a small announcement as part of an FFF that Mods can be sync'd for MP games. Because, like, most people do not know that is even possible. Perhaps make this announcement part of the 0.17 Stable release?

MANY MANY more people would start playing your game.
Last edited by Durabys on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

youtakun
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by youtakun »

1. How do destroyed iron chests suddenly have hinges when the intact one doesn't?
2. I think the way the metal of rails is bent and contorted still isn't realistic, because realistically the metal is very stiff and doesn't bend like a ribbon.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

Do destroyed ghosts need healthbars, or could there be another way to distinct them from new ghost structures?

Unknow0059
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Unknow0059 »

On top of that, we plan to utilize the remnants to a large degree in the campaign for 1.0 for half-destroyed factories to be found and explored.
What are the implications of that?
Other factorieers also crashed down in the planet and weren't successful?
I'm not sure how I feel about that.
I liked the concept of being alone just with your factory.

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

Unknow0059 wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:42 pm
On top of that, we plan to utilize the remnants to a large degree in the campaign for 1.0 for half-destroyed factories to be found and explored.
What are the implications of that?
Other factorieers also crashed down in the planet and weren't successful?
I'm not sure how I feel about that.
I liked the concept of being alone just with your factory.
Just like in the New Hope campaign in 0.16, the new upcoming campaign will have factories to be found in the world. There's a ton of people who found that really fun to find existing structures, we believe it is a really interesting part, and it's an awesome resource to discover new tricks.

It also allows us to power you through some parts that we feel take too long for the campaign - giving the player a functional mining outpost means they only need to connect it and solve the logistical part, not much of the outposting etc, which can be interesting too.

The concept of being completely alone is certainly a valuable thing, but that's what Freeplay works very well for, and Freeplay will probably always be the "real way" to play Factorio.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

V453000 wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:15 pm
It also allows us to power you through some parts that we feel take too long for the campaign - giving the player a functional mining outpost means they only need to connect it and solve the logistical part, not much of the outposting etc, which can be interesting too.
There is an iron ore outpost, but the logistic to and from there is destroyed. On the other side there's a nearly destroyed copper outpost, but the logistic is still largely intact.
This has the advantage that the player still has to do both (create an outpost and create a logistic connection), but each only once, not two times. They can also look at the other outpost for some guidline if they feel lost.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

ggrnd0
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ggrnd0 »

Antyradek wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:03 pm
All those remnants look cool but once you have roboports all over the place, all of those graphics are hidden behind ghosts.
I can no longer watch my factory getting beautifully wrecked, I get unreadable mix.

What about removing ghosts for destroyed buildings in the area of roboport? Or at least add this option in menu?

(Yes, I nuked my factory just for the screenshot.)
Oh, please no. Do not do that.

Sometimes that is realy hard to understand what the building was here after biters destroy something before you have researched "ghosts"...
And that go harder if there biter corpses lie over...
And only one hour of ghost not so funny. Regular templates can live forever...
I do not run to build every broken wall... And I do not like to send death drones with repair packs...

For example, can u say where is every logic-combinator was on destroyed path?
Or which manipulator's directions was?
i cant...

That is beautiful but unusable...

With all latest game changes i already understand - developers want us to suffer...

HalfPastZulu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HalfPastZulu »

Kudo's to my favorite devs for the many things they do.

Mod Industrial Revolution:
Looks absolutely stunning.
The graphics are so gorgeous I had to instantly install the mod and try it.

I am leery to say anything critical because I don't want to discourage but rather encourage the creator to finish it right. The balancing and play through need a little work, ok a lot of work if I am being honest.

I like the idea of ages but don't think they are executed well enough to think of them as ages. Many things are impossible in automate in a game of automation.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

ggrnd0 wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:35 pm
Oh, please no. Do not do that.

Sometimes that is realy hard to understand what the building was here after biters destroy something before you have researched "ghosts"...
And that go harder if there biter corpses lie over...
And only one hour of ghost not so funny. Regular templates can live forever...
I do not run to build every broken wall... And I do not like to send death drones with repair packs...

For example, can u say where is every logic-combinator was on destroyed path?
Or which manipulator's directions was?
i cant...

That is beautiful but unusable...

With all latest game changes i already understand - developers want us to suffer...
I think he meant to remove the ghost overlay for destroyed buildings.
Robots would still replace it.
The purple health bar should be sufficient

SightedNZ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SightedNZ »

That mod reminds me a lot of the Age of Engineering modpack for Minecraft. I think I'll give it a go!

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

I love the way these look but am sad I'll never see them.

Ghosts are WAY too important to gameplay. It's like the centers of each building image. Put as much time into them as you need but I'll be covering them up with gameplay information.

mikiqex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mikiqex »

I have an issue with walls remnants (sorry if I'm late to the party...) - there are rebars clearly visible in the rubble, yet there's no steel in the recipe. :|

edvardm
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by edvardm »

My life changed when I encountered Factorio. Second time with 0.15, now with this Industrial Revolution mod. Such an awesome mod, internally consistent and does not feel like bolt-on, like many mods do.

In love < 3

Return to β€œNews”