Friday Facts #311 - New remnants 3

Regular reports on Factorio development.
cgar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #311 - New remnants 3

Post by cgar »

No news on 0.17 stable???

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

quyxkh wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:15 pm
The cyberman vibe is strong with this one.

Its more general "Doctor Who" theme - first one is Dalek for sure, second is Cybermen and third one from something even more advanced :)

I do love the general idea of the mod. However I did absolutely love how the general idea is implemented in Evospace game with everything coming down to even more basic modules. For example furnace would produce heat (like Nuclear Power Plant currently does) and instead of a boiler you would have heat exchanger. Everything mechanical would be powered by steam (as opposed to feeding it with coal which does not make sense), and if I am not mistaken this can already be done, not sure about inserters (which should have a passthrough connection in this case). And after progression jump you would be able to create steam generator (Steam Engine now).

But still I really love your work Deadlock as one of the most dedicated modders. Kudos and keep up your great work!

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

Quick comment on the remnants:

Most of these look great and strike a good balance, but the one class of objects that IMHO don't look destroyed enough are the chests. They fact that they still appear to be substantially closed containers doesn't feel right. Like seeing that I would think "Damn, I wonder if the stuff inside is OK?". And of course we know the answer is "no, it was completely obliterated". Also as a practical matter, I feel like I could easily mistake those for intact chests at a glace. Especially the brightly colored logistic network chests.

MicFac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MicFac »

I like how the new remnants look, though I think the pipes still look a tiny bit repetitive in the picture. Because the window part of the pipes is so dark, it looks a little bit like they contain Crude Oil. Those are just tiny issues though.
Also, I think the underground belts look a bit weird. Why are they always cut along their direction of movement, why not any other way?
Solar Panels and Accumulators might get repetitive when large parts of solar arrays get destroyed, though that doesn't happen very often anyways.

By the way, I like the "picture comparison slider", I don't think I've seen that in a Friday Facts before.

The mod you showcased looks really awesome!

Mernom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mernom »

Antyradek wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:40 pm
I'm afraid you are losing grip on the amount of mods there are. Thousands of small scripts, unbalanced tweaks and unknown gems.
This mod will likely soon be buried beneath everything.

I think you need some sort of way to sort this thing before it's too late. Minetest (opensource Minecraft with Lua mods) does this pretty well.

For me, the complete must would be:
- Mods enabled per-map not per installation. So you can have multiple sets of mods for multiple maps.
- Mods downloaded when connecting to the server, so anyone can always play without installing anything.

Maybe some way to "feature" especially successful sets of mods, together with proper balance.
Having mods be loaded per map is not currently possible since mods are loaded when the game is launching.
That said, there's the synch mods with map function, which does just that.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

doktorstick wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:53 pm
When spotlighting Industrial Revolution "boring vanilla" was used a couple of times in reference to certain aspects of gameplay. Will the devs then be addressing those "boring vanilla" parts before 1.0?
That's just my personal opinion which mostly stems from playing vanilla for thousands of hours - it gets boring after a while, even though I love the concept of the game. I keep things interesting for myself with challenges (speedrunning) and mods. But that problem of a game being boring after 1k hours is not really a problem I think the base game needs to address. You cannot make endless content without endless development and we want to finish the game at some point. Mods are endless development, provided to the community for free, by members of the community. So I find mod support to be more important than addressing what I find boring in a game after thousands of hours of gameplay.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Azzinoth
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Azzinoth »

Looking great!

But if the remnants of belts could point in the direction of the original belt, it would be even better.

Also, maybe the remnants could act as ghosts themselves if that is enabled, instead of placing ghosts over them.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

You know what really bugs me about those remains? The car. It rotated like 30 degrees, and somehow that is just so wrong. I don't know why it bothers me so much.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

trad_emark
Inserter
Inserter

Post by trad_emark »

In this picture: the character has shadow as if the sun was directly above him/her while the train station remnants has shadow as if the sun was at 45 degrees.
I think there were more entities in the game with inconsistent shadows.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

...we plan to utilize the remnants to a large degree in the campaign for 1.0 for half-destroyed factories to be found and explored.
Can't wait! This was my favorite part of the original campaign.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Looks pretty good in my opinion, but one entity could in my opinion need some work: the logistic chests. Their remnants still look pretty useable, not destroyed.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

trad_emark wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:18 am

In this picture: the character has shadow as if the sun was directly above him/her while the train station remnants has shadow as if the sun was at 45 degrees.
I think there were more entities in the game with inconsistent shadows.
Also the character's feet slide on the ground because the movement speed is not synced with the animation speed.

wellczech
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wellczech »

The mod looks great. I just don't understand why it's so unfriendly to streamers who wants to use the mod. I hope there's just some misinformation if streamers could use it or not.

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

Klonan wrote: ↑
Gergely wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:11 pm
Links don't work.
Fixed. Thanks
Btw. Steam hasn't put up the new FFF Blog post in the client or on their site.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Tomik wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:38 am
Links don't work.
Fixed. Thanks
I see it there as normal, what browser are you using?

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

Woa, I love these so much. The graphics style is different from vanilla, but that you get a glimpse halfway inside and see what it does to the materials, I love it.

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:42 am
Links don't work.
Fixed. Thanks
My Steam client.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:08 pm
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:42 am
Links don't work.
Fixed. Thanks
My Steam client.
Seems like something wrong with Steam (They have a new announcement and event publishing thing now)

LightspeedLazer
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LightspeedLazer »

Antyradek wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:40 pm
For me, the complete must would be:
- Mods enabled per-map not per installation. So you can have multiple sets of mods for multiple maps.
- Mods downloaded when connecting to the server, so anyone can always play without installing anything.
Factorio already does this. There's a "Sync mods" button at the top of the "Load Saved Game" GUI. Of course you have to use the in game mod download not the mod portal.
LightspeedLazer, playing Factorio since 0.16
Steam

Rebmes
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rebmes »

The remnants look amazing, and thanks for the cool mod spotlight ^^ I will also add this to my to-do list for later on. Still have to get farther in Vanilla, 500 hours total ain't cutting it ;)

Return to β€œNews”