Friday Facts #310 - Glowing Heat pipes

Regular reports on Factorio development.
CzBuCHi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #310 - Glowing Heat pipes

Post by CzBuCHi »

ownlyme wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:23 am
very nice concept, but i'd say it's not visually perfect yet.
Especially i think it's too bright, and maybe the color tone could be slightly altered? dont know, maybe it's already perfect when it's darker.
kinda like this?
Also im missing on both images red-shifted colors based on temperature: Image ...

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Is the heat temp glow limited to heatlipes or can it be used on other things?

meganothing
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by meganothing »

I'm astonished how much I like this heat glow feature

Schorty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schorty »

Those heat pipes are lit! (Sorry for the bad pun)
CzBuCHi wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:16 pm
Especially i think it's too bright, and maybe the color tone could be slightly altered? dont know, maybe it's already perfect when it's darker.
kinda like this?
Also im missing on both images red-shifted colors based on temperature: https://i.stack.imgur.com/uGB7l.jpg ...
I was about to post the same thing. The problem here is, that if you would make it "realistic", the color would'nt change when the pipes are hot enough to power the heat exchangers. But I agree non the less. It should be a bit darker.

Anyways: These look awesome as they are. Even without brightness tweaks. Thank you, Ernestas :)
Tired of not being able to reduce the pollution? Try the Air-Filter-Mod
With this, you are able to use the pollution levels in your circuit network: Pollution detector

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

dee- wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:04 pm
While it's pretty it somehow shows how much heat is dissipated without being userful as the heat pipe's thermal insulation is missing.
Let's try this:

Factorio heatpipes are enclosed in a vacuum chamber made of transparent aluminum, they thus lose no heat. This chamber is coated with transparent nano-LEDs with integrated nano-photovoltaic crystals. Thus the "glow" you see is merely a convenient visual representation of the heat measured electronically.

:ugeek:
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: ζ—₯本θͺž, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

CzBuCHi wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:16 pm
kinda like this?
Also im missing on both images red-shifted colors based on temperature:[color scale image] ...
thats an incredible idea, it would really give it an edge
mods.factorio.com/user/ownlyme
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Not to bee picky, but shouldn't the pipes on a unpowerd reactor also not glow...
Otherwise looking very much forward to this change!

gorothdablade
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gorothdablade »

conn11 wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:30 pm

Not to bee picky, but shouldn't the pipe on a unpowerd reactor also not glow...
The reactor may be unpowered but the attached pipes still have heat. That or the reactor still has heat to dissipate just not generating more at the moment. either way it is neat that the glow isn't linked to there being fuel in the reactor.

(Also resisting urge to make the "bright idea" pun.... not resisting well)

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

eradicator wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:50 pm
dee- wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:04 pm
While it's pretty it somehow shows how much heat is dissipated without being userful as the heat pipe's thermal insulation is missing.
Let's try this:

Factorio heatpipes are enclosed in a vacuum chamber made of transparent aluminum, they thus lose no heat. This chamber is coated with transparent nano-LEDs with integrated nano-photovoltaic crystals. Thus the "glow" you see is merely a convenient visual representation of the heat measured electronically.

:ugeek:
There is no sound in space. All that "pew pew" you hear is generated by your ship's computer / camera drone so you can feel all of the immeeeeersion. :D

Yeah, I figured the pipes are probably coated with LED strips for easy visual inspection. How clever of that Factorio-guy doeshehaveaname.

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Theikkru »

Please incorporate color temperature into the glow; I'd expect it to start off very reddish and get both brighter and whiter as temperature rises. It would also help players more precisely perceive differences in temperature.

kateract
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kateract »

Am I the only one that thinks that since the pipes are glowing red hot, that maybe they should cause a small bit of damage to the player if they are walked on?

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

kinda like this?

Here must be more red heat glowing:

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

gorothdablade wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:33 pm
conn11 wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:30 pm

Not to bee picky, but shouldn't the pipe on a unpowerd reactor also not glow...
The reactor may be unpowered but the attached pipes still have heat. That or the reactor still has heat to dissipate just not generating more at the moment. either way it is neat that the glow isn't linked to there being fuel in the reactor.

(Also resisting urge to make the "bright idea" pun.... not resisting well)

Valid, but:

Assuming the green glow is aquivalent to Cherenkov radiation in nauvis (from some really badly shielded power reactors). The other two reactors are glowing because chain fissioning is going on, electrons are released by some decay further down the road and heat is produced therefore their pipes are glowing (so far so good). Since reactors after "burning" their fuel down are loosing heat quite slowly, it can furthermore be assumed that, just like in the real world, decay heat (created by nuclear decay of the fissioning isotopes of your initial nuclear fuel) is a thing here. By looking on the picture all heat pipes attached to the reactors appear to glow on the same level, therefore the temperature in the cores can be assumed to be eaqually high. Following that, the amount of decay products in the unpowerd reactor should be quite high and of corse so their spontaneous decay (due to accumulation by a quite recently terminated fission ) occuring. The cherencov effect is depandand on charged faster than light particels in a transparent medium (e.g. air), mainly electrons. With typical decay products of U-235 fission are 141Barrium and 92Krypton, both short lived isotopes and at least 141Ba having a beta-decay, cherenkov radiation should be emitted.
Ergo: either the green light is missing from the unpowerd reactor, or the its heatpipes are glowing to much.
Not to being over analytic of course :lol:
Last edited by conn11 on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gorothdablade
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gorothdablade »

kateract wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:03 pm
Am I the only one that thinks that since the pipes are glowing red hot, that maybe they should cause a small bit of damage to the player if they are walked on?
no... you aren't.

but, then you would get people using heat pipes as part of their defense. ... now that I write that I am wondering why that would be a problem.

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:20 pm
but, then you would get people using heat pipes as part of their defense.
ohhhh.. that sounds insanely cool! but we'd need some kind of environmental cooling to balance it.
with lua scripts this is not really possible, it would eat way too many ups. (like canal builder does)

edit: and the damage should be percentual or it wouldn't be balanced for enemy mods.
Last edited by ownlyme on Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

gorothdablade
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gorothdablade »

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:51 pm
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:20 pm
but, then you would get people using heat pipes as part of their defense.
ohhhh.. that sounds insanely cool! but we'd need some kind of environmental cooling to balance it.
with scripts this is not really possible, it would eat way too many ups.
The balancing I can think of off the top of my head would be that damage done * SOME MULT is taken as heat out of the pipe.

theolderbeholder
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by theolderbeholder »

And they can SET TREES ON FIRE!

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

And let's not forget, hot reactor are much more powerful than landmines. Time for nuclear defenses.

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

i don't think they'll add heat pipe damage, but it could be possible with a mod utilizing landmines maybe.. (thanks to conn11 for the idea)

gorothdablade
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gorothdablade »

theolderbeholder wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:09 pm
And they can SET TREES ON FIRE!
I can see it now
Trees near fully heated pipe have chance to ignite, Nuclear power is no longer pollution free :lol:
so much for "green energy"

Return to β€œNews”