Friday Facts #308 - Not stable quite yet

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #308 - Not stable quite yet

Post by Hiladdar »

"Boskid Radar" since it can can for bugs

or

"Boskid Repair Kit"

I'm partial to "Boskid Radar", since it can help identify the location of the bugs, but does nothing to fix the. Requires outside intervention, i.e. someone else has to go out and eliminate them.

Hiladdar

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

That's ridiculous.

The least the devs could do is adding him/her to the backer list but what about Bobingabout or Angel666 or Pyanodon or other people i forgot who helped in the community or improved our 'together' in other ways?

Should they also get an entity named after them?

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

steinio wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:53 pm
The least the devs could do is adding him/her to the backer list but what about Bobingabout or Angel666 or Pyanodon or other people i forgot who helped in the community or improved our 'together' in other ways?
Should they also get an entity named after them?
The backer list is a good idea. It is of practically unlimited size and has been created for the purpose (honouring people who did something for the game without cluttering the game or having to select whom to include)

BattleFluffy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BattleFluffy »

Thankyou devs for your continuing efforts. It's an uneventful FFF this week but even news that there's no news is news. :>

Factorio rules, and you guys are doing an amazing job! :D

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

steinio wrote:
That's ridiculous.
Well, hundreds (thousands?) of people backed the game and were included in the list of default station/locomotive/radar names, but only a handful contribute in a way to get a special mention in the FFF the way Boskid did. I don't know how valuable it was to the game, but based on that they mention Boskid separately, I think it might be cool to have an easter egg somewhere that references him.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

luc wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:53 pm
steinio wrote:
That's ridiculous.
Well, hundreds (thousands?) of people backed the game and were included in the list of default station/locomotive/radar names, but only a handful contribute in a way to get a special mention in the FFF the way Boskid did. I don't know how valuable it was to the game, but based on that they mention Boskid separately, I think it might be cool to have an easter egg somewhere that references him.
I'm quite perplexed by this sudden cry to include one guy into the game in the most visible manner possible - i don't remember ever seeing anything like this in my years on this forum.

A backer has a really low chance to have his name appear in some rather irrelevant places (lab names, etc). Yet this guy is supposed to be put on the same level as kovarex, who *invented* the whole game in the first place, and is so far the only *dev* to have his name in the game. Don't get me wrong, bug reports are essential, but what about all the other devs? The unmentioned bug-reporters? The other people mentioned in past FFFs? The great modders? The only thing you'd achieve by including boskid into an item/recipe name would be a huge shitstorm and a barrage of claims by other people who also feel entitled to be included in the game.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:03 am
I'm quite perplexed by this sudden cry to include one guy into the game in the most visible manner possible - i don't remember ever seeing anything like this in my years on this forum.

A backer has a really low chance to have his name appear in some rather irrelevant places (lab names, etc). Yet this guy is supposed to be put on the same level as kovarex, who *invented* the whole game in the first place, and is so far the only *dev* to have his name in the game. Don't get me wrong, bug reports are essential, but what about all the other devs? The unmentioned bug-reporters? The other people mentioned in past FFFs? The great modders? The only thing you'd achieve by including boskid into an item/recipe name would be a huge shitstorm and a barrage of claims by other people who also feel entitled to be included in the game.
I agree. I am just having fun looking for bugs (my way of "playing" factorio) because in my private life i work as a developer and this is just gaining experience in issue finding. There are many bakers without whom factorio would not be what it is now. Being mentioned in FFF is more i would expect. From my point of view, bugs i found are quite minor and not affecting regular game play, maybe one or two could count for this "not stable quite yet" (74269, 73793)

Just leave it as it is, i am only doing intentional bug hunt, and with fluid i just happend to have good initial "hook" to learn how fluid systems internals works by observing bug artifacts. This is how i was able to find some more bugs. In other parts of factorio i do not have enough "hooks" (yet) to know where do i even start with searching bugs.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

eradicator wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:03 am

I agree. Certainly finding a few dozen bugs is nothing to scoff at, but there are plenty of other people as deserving of something–the devs, popular mod authors, forum (/reddit/discord?) moderators, everyone else who's been mentioned in FFFs, maybe some youtubers who focus on Factorio, etc. It's a slippery slope at best.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

winkbrace
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by winkbrace »

Bah, the voice of reason is strong in this forum. But it's fun that a bug hunter gets appreciated by the community. :)

Really love the post apocalypse scenario. It makes me realise the added value of a campaign.

squiddog
Inserter
Inserter

Post by squiddog »

Man I love the Nauvis Collapse map!

I'm running a password-protected Multi-player, and it's a beast to host. Takes people minutes to join (I have gigabit to my house) and it's running in a separate process on my desktop (iMac Pro).

I might start over now that I know a few things (like the electricity generators in your crash spawn are destroyed/lost if you deconstruct them with a robot!). And there's some frustrating gotchas that the designer put in the scenario which I won't leave as a spoiler.

What a blast.

Return to “News”