Friday Facts #64 - The plans

Regular reports on Factorio development.
GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #64 The plans

Post by GewaltSam »

jakobeng1303 wrote:I'm very sorry, I didn't see that version and tried the 10.12 which didn't work! My favourite game now work again :)))))
It does, I am playing with a mac user on the other side of the planet for the last week :)

Pridesfall
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Pridesfall »

I like the idea of needing to go to other planets. So what if you build a kind of Avatar suit so when you're off planet you can still interact with your first one. Then on your new planet you have to construct the device you plug into, to control the Avatar.

And there are resources missing on the new planet that need to be shipped from your starter planet.

billw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by billw »

Another problem with the space ship limited building area thing is that not all people find trying to fit a factory into a limited area fun. Some people like making massive factories that sprawl, some people enjoy controlled chaos, some people are interested in what is produced not how it is produced, some people like high level planning not low level fiddling.
These people are not going to enjoy that ending.

Any kind of end game shouldn't ignore x% of the reasons people enjoy the game. It should be an extension of what there is currently not a limitation to the part that one person finds fun.

freshauser
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by freshauser »

I really enjoy the discussion of endgame possibilities. Many people have given valid opinions and have made good points. I have a short list of things which I know excite me. I'll just put forth a short list of the things I think would really add to the amazing game that is Factorio:

-I love the idea of new resources like: platinum, hydrogen, silicon, helium, carbon nano tubes, graphene etc.
-I love the idea of larger and larger mining mechanisms like the Bucket-wheel excavator
-I love the idea of an asteroid belt space level where one is mining asteroids and perhaps fending off space pirates. How one gets to space could be a variety of methods, all of them exciting and plausible.
-I love the idea of a space equivalent of the railroad to transport the raw materials to manufacturing.
-I like the idea of thorium reactors
-I love the idea of subterranean mining levels complete with vertical conveyor belts and elevators, allowing a player to mine: gold, silver, diamonds, thorium, rare earth metals
-I like the idea of orbital hangars for spaceships
-I like the idea of large space mobile drones
-I like the idea of constructing space elevators.

Expansion ideas:
-Armies: I like the idea of constructing housing for soldiers to pilot tanks or vehicles of war.
-Food: I like the idea of constructing vertical farms that grow food to produce rations to feed soldiers.
-Pharmaceuticals: a bio tech industry is essential to improving the effectiveness of your army.
-Ocean bottom mining
-Gas giant mining of planets

I know mods are already adding new metals but yea that's my wishlist

Oxygene
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Oxygene »

cpy wrote:With space ships, one thing comes to my mind.
Starbound approach. New planet -> new ore -> new tech -> harder enemies. You can have like tier 0 planet (spawn) and tier 1,2,3 each with harsher environment and more and tougher enemies. WIth new material you could build better turrets/weapons/ammo/tanks and walls.

You know, when you get spaceship, there's nothing to stop progress there. If authors won't make it like that, i bet there will be some mods that will do that. Want better assembler? Well maybe you'd need some titanium that will be harder to process (Bobs mods).

Maybe higher tier planet's won't have iron or copper or stone and you'll have to plan logistics space deliveries (think of space trains!).

Automate universe! Now the whole planetary system is your big factory! I bet that will be harder to beat than current rocket defense.

I just trawled through 9 pages to make sure noone else had my idea and someone does!
This is what I would love for endgame, its pretty similar to a lot of others but with expansion:
* You have the devs idea of a rocket, then oribital platform
* you build this up to include some kind of warp gate (but it needs a gate each end)
* you go to planet B, with new resources, new enemies, etc but you still need stuff from planet A
* Arrange regular deliveries but in huger quantities, like a larger train. So your inserters take from your stockpile, place in to mass drivers / orbital launchers in batches of... 10k? At the orbital platform automated ships go through the jump gate to planet B with batches of... 100k of each resource? So you get regular shipments of resource that arent on your new planet like care packages.
* Multiple planets expansion and networked as above with lots of different resources! Think a dozen planets, all sending their goods to a central new world where they are all processed in a planet sized factory!

safan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by safan »

i don't like the colonist ideas: i mean you have 1000 colonist and they don't work? So they are all lawyers and politicans? I have an empire of my own, i don't want anyone there complaining about pollution or lack of alcoholic drinks.

It should focus more and more on automatisation:

produce food, move it to space station, make sure the ship or space elevator works, it goes into space, you get credits, or trade for some material that doesn't exist on your planet, the ship lands again, move it to the right factory, make something hitech of it, move it back to the space elevator etc. Imagine the complexities of trying not to bottleneck this.

mayb you can detect nearby asteroids, send a bunch of bots to them and mine them out. This will end the sometimes tedious handlings of outposts.

the credits are the highscore. So you can see progress by selling more stuff or selling it faster. If something else then rich bastard is needed use titles as scout, provider, farmer, industrial etc

The aliens should have an end-game option to: total annihilation, total assimilation (you become one with the aliens), something inbetween so you can buy peace with some product you have to import from off planet.

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

IMHO, I'd like to see an end-game in which you build some kind of huge landing location (like an airport for spacecraft) for future colonists. Going to other planets and related things should be saved for a sequel! Factorio II: The Next Generation (lol ;) )

DjParagon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DjParagon »

These hi res renders looks absolutely incredible, well done guys !

I love the ending ideas a lot too ! :D

ScoobTheNoob
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #64 - The plans

Post by ScoobTheNoob »

Like Minecraft I do not play Factorio for it's bleeding edge graphics...

Continue give me responsive game play whilst streamlining the requirements.

Or I am going to start calling you EA Games (RE-SKIN EVERYTHING)

gorbulas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #64 - The plans

Post by gorbulas »

Why are you posting on a thread a year old?

Return to “News”