Friday Facts #64 - The plans

Regular reports on Factorio development.
torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #63 The plans

Post by torham »

Is science tree overhaul part of the planned 0.12?

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Did anyone else notice the counter-rotating shadow under the car renders?
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Pouf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pouf »

we just finished a 40 hours game, 3 players...
and started a new one :D

Those renders are really nice, and this optional HD mod will probably appeal to a lot of people.
Is it me or does a metal bar collides and goes through a gear axis at the bottom of the steam ongine ?

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

And do we have two #63 Friday Facts on the forums? =]

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

SHiRKiT wrote:And do we have two #63 Friday Facts on the forums? =]
I guess 64 bits is too much for the forum...

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Once the player reaches the corresponding level of technology, he will be able to build rocket bases + rockets. But not those small rockets used for fighting enemies, but huge rockets used to get things into the orbit. Once he gets something on the orbit, he will use the material to build the spaceship there. The building will be similar as in normal game, but the player will first have to build the foundations (space platform) first. The platform will get the more expensive the bigger it gets. The player will then put all the needed machines, engines, and the valuable stuff on the ship. Once he is ready, he will start the ship. The ship will have to survive the trip on itself, it will have to contain small factory setup to process the energy and materials found on the way. It will have to provide the defense from all the asteroids and other dangerous stuff it can encounter. Once it reaches its destination, the valuable cargo can be sold at the local galaxy market. Once the player sells enough of the stuff, he won the game by becoming a rich bastard. No saving of the planet or the race, we decided to go for much more realistic storyline :) There are other plans for the 0.12 but let's keep it for the future friday facts :)
To me, this isn't a very good ending.

What happened to the story of preparing the planet for human inva... *cough* i mean, human settlement. I really liked the way the game was shaping especially with the veiled references that it makes to human attitudes towards the environment.

I feel that its taking the easy way out and the proposed ending fits more with "Factory Story Saga 19" than what this game was shaping up to be. I feels to me like a complete loss of the game's soul if that is going to be the ending.

So i'm not just making a bunch of criticisms, here is my suggestion for an end game:

- Create Rockets to Orbit
- In orbit, ship up resources to create Worldships
- Stock worldships so they can travel to earth to go pick up settlers
- Worldships are partly driven by alien artifacts: cue widespread and wholesale slaughter of the locals
- Settlers land and game ends.

Put the same crazy resource requirements on that as the original suggestion and you have an ending (in very bare bones) that fits more with the original story of us crash landing on the planet. It furthermore makes a more poignant comment about humans and the ethics of our own survival. Here we are killing off a local sentient species and building giant polluting factories for the human race to survive.

I think that the tycoon element at the end will feel like an artificial bolt-on that will ruin the feeling of the game and its a cop out for anyone who gets to the stage. Sell lots of stuff and become a rich bastard? Seriously? That's the best you've got?! Extremely disappointed doesn't really cover how I feel about the proposed ending.

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

FishSandwich wrote:I really like the idea of making a spaceship as endgame content, but am also really disappointed that it'll only be used to transport goods so the player can become a 'rich bastard'. I'm really hoping that's not a permanent end game.
Well we have natives, train cars, walls, and furnaces. I am sure the right Austrian could use these devices to prepare the world for human colonization.

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

The spaceship sounds so cool! I want it now and the high grahpics examples are also realy cool.

spazza360
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by spazza360 »

Darthlawsuit wrote:Well we have natives, train cars, walls, and furnaces. I am sure the right Austrian could use these devices to prepare the world for human colonization.
That's dark, man...
Not only is that rather racist and insensitive, I don't even understand how you managed to associate Factorio with Nazi Germany's Jewish genocide campaign...

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

Congrats on a stack of FFF articles!
My Silly Factorian Tricks
<_aD> OBSERVE SIGNAL ASPECT BEFORE CROSSING TRACK

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

spazza360 wrote:
Darthlawsuit wrote:Well we have natives, train cars, walls, and furnaces. I am sure the right Austrian could use these devices to prepare the world for human colonization.
That's dark, man...
Not only is that rather racist and insensitive, I don't even understand how you managed to associate Factorio with Nazi Germany's Jewish genocide campaign...
Wait, I thought he was refering to Arnold Schwarzenegger...

And while I'm thinking about it, Factorio's backgroungstory is that you land on unknown terrain and start to kill the natives and exploit the resources. So it's much more like the Colonization of America/Africa

MeinAccount
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #64 The plans

Post by MeinAccount »

Once he is ready, he will start the ship. The ship will have to survive the trip on itself, it will have to contain small factory setup to process the energy and materials found on the way.
And while flying the badly designed ship, you crash on an other planet with even more aliens and the game restarts :D

ray4ever
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ray4ever »

I like the general idea to build a space ship and to ship goods with it. But I have to admit that I'm a bit on the line if I like the "get rich" aspect or not. On the one hand it's a very logical aim for a human beeing, but you as a player wouldn't have much from it. So the "money" need to have so use for the gamer in a sense that he can upgrade his base (maybe his palace or something?) to reflect his success in the game itself.

A nice feature for "end game" would be a automatic spawn option for the assemblers. Image producing ai controlled en mass which are rolling against the enemy! This way your area of influence would be directly proportional to your production and you would be able to directly "see" your success in the amount of area and tanks you are controlling.
(I mean the ai is already used for the biters, how hard could it be to implement something like this for your own produced tanks/bots)

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

-root wrote:lots of words
I find myself mostly in agreement with -root.

I would change one detail about his proposal though:
- Settlers land and game ends.
into

- Settlers land and demand even more stuff. After all, we've already ruined our own lands, now we'll ruin theirs as well (bonus point for whoever gets that paraphrased reference)

:twisted:

And someone just rickrolled that twitter thread :lol:
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Oh man I'm so excited! The high resolution renders look amazing, would be epic to have all the stuff look like that. Very good idea to make it an optional mod pack. :D

As for end game, that sounds a heck of a lot better than it currently is, but I also would hope it goes a bit further or more in-depth than that. :p

Can't wait though either way! :D
Image Image Image

Dispaminite
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dispaminite »

I also like the idea of continuing the story of preparing the planet for colonization. Where the end game is to build a colony for the colonists to land. Complete with Power Requirements, Landing Pads, buildings, ect.

pCountNullMem
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by pCountNullMem »

I'd like to see the story continue as well. HD Mod is looking great, btw.
Now it's just that the game saves have grown a LOT since 11.5, so it's great that work put on reducing the save size.
My 11.5 save went from 6.35 MiB to 35.8 MiB in 11.6.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

The spaceship idea is a very, very good one, you really should keep that (and I like the general idea of a galaxy market, too). Maybe becoming a rich bastard should simply be a step on the road to greater goals; you need that credits to get everything ready for whatever-you-guys-will-think-about. -roots ideas point in the right direction, and I think the whole thing about more or less being the "bad guy" (ruthless colonization and strip mining) should span the whole game.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

Don't ever let players dictate your objectives. It tends to end very badly. The players often don't know what they want themselves. Also, everyone has got a different idea on how the game should work. You cannot possibly satisfy all people. Just make plans for yourself, and if you give us something cool, majority will like it. I seem to remember that there was a major uprising against the transfer from binary to decimal item stacks, and now most of the people seem perfectly fine with it.

Return to “News”