Friday Facts #287 - Just bugs again

Regular reports on Factorio development.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #287 - Just bugs again

Post by darkfrei »

Changes: old bugs fixed, new bugs added.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Oh Sanqui that was your chance to bring XKCD on again: https://xkcd.com/327/

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

well, since factorio login didn't accept my steam name in kanji, spaces in name are less issue imo :D

raiguard
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by raiguard »

99 little bugs in the code.
99 little bugs in the code.
Take one down, patch it around,
117 little bugs in the code.
Don't forget, you're here forever.

burisk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by burisk »

That's awesome that bug fix! I notices it many times. But that usernames.. really? No server-side validation? :/ I hope that you store our passwords in slow hashes like 'bcrypt' (or another alternatives) and not in MD5 or at worst in plaintext.

glee8e
Inserter
Inserter

Post by glee8e »

For some reason every pic/webm went 404. Is it my local ISP blocking stuff? Anyone else with same problem?

EDIT: it's gone. Refresh do the trick. Perhaps I came too earliy that cdn didn't fetch stuff properly yet.
Last edited by glee8e on Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

I think just hearing some of those usernames must have made that mistake more than worth it.

Was ' or 1=1; -- the cause of your matching server problems yesterday? ;)

Anyway, good work continuing to fix bugs and tell me my 1-in-a-million flukes aren't going to get fixed. It's also nice to hear of (hopefully) an end to the obscure splitter bugs.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Sanqui »

burisk wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:11 pm
That's awesome that bug fix! I notices it many times. But that usernames.. really? No server-side validation? :/ I hope that you store our passwords in slow hashes like 'bcrypt' (or another alternatives) and not in MD5 or at worst in plaintext.
Server-side validation is the thing that got accidentally broken (bypassed).

Passwords are hashed with bcrypt.
ovo

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

Press F for NOT THE BEES!!!!!, your mum lives in a tent, and ' or 1=1; --

ledow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ledow »

Would have been simpler, and a better idea, to just let the ban commands have proper quoting applied, so you can ban "awkward user name".

The restrictions on usernames just suggest laziness around the "we don't want to have to care about sanitising our string-handling, we'll just limit what the user can put in a username", with knock-on effects like unbannable users because of a string-handling mistake in an entirely different service months before.

Seriously, guys, there are TONS of sensible string-handling libraries that could have managed this for you, and then people could have spaces in their names... like... ooh... I don't know... 99% of the English-speaking populations out there?

It's all very Windows 3.1. What next, we can't have more than 8 characters?

someone1337
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by someone1337 »

Code: Select all

' or 1=1; -- '
Is a legitimate username!!11!1!11oneeleven

https://xkcd.com/327/

Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Sanqui »

ledow wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:24 pm
Would have been simpler, and a better idea, to just let the ban commands have proper quoting applied, so you can ban "awkward user name".

The restrictions on usernames just suggest laziness around the "we don't want to have to care about sanitising our string-handling, we'll just limit what the user can put in a username", with knock-on effects like unbannable users because of a string-handling mistake in an entirely different service months before.

Seriously, guys, there are TONS of sensible string-handling libraries that could have managed this for you, and then people could have spaces in their names... like... ooh... I don't know... 99% of the English-speaking populations out there?

It's all very Windows 3.1. What next, we can't have more than 8 characters?
There's some quite good reasons to disallow spaces in usernames on principle. The question is if we should have usernames at all. In my opinion the best setup is permanent id + email (for login) + display name, where the display name can be anything. But that is quite difficult to change at this point, even though it's on my roadmap.
ovo

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

michael wrote:Our UX guy is asking us to allow spaces in usernames. The caveat is that they should be allowed anywhere.
user568458 wrote:suppose I enter my username as Experts Exchange, the system will silently translate it into expertsexchange, and the system will direct queries for a user with username Expert Sex Change to my account?
:lol:

P.S.: Doesn't "email (for login)" have its own set of problems ?
(Albeit, a much smaller set... mostly an issue when email change is not allowed ad/or that email gets undesirable/unavailable...)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Just hash the username on the way in and store that in the DB.

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

I don't see a difference between 1st and 2nd animated gif with splitters.
I see fully filled belt of fuel, where you inserting plates, two in a row. They fit like ...fffffPfPfff... Splitter takes one from each side and move to output. What else could we expect? Actually I never thought how splitters merge two belts, now I see - they do it one by one. Other possible way was, that they works like inserters, and grab several items at once.
Do you mean that on 1st picture output belt becomes not fully compressed, and there was a gap at some point?

coderpatsy
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by coderpatsy »

Dixi wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:43 pm
I don't see a difference between 1st and 2nd animated gif with splitters.
I see fully filled belt of fuel, where you inserting plates, two in a row. They fit like ...fffffPfPfff... Splitter takes one from each side and move to output. What else could we expect? Actually I never thought how splitters merge two belts, now I see - they do it one by one. Other possible way was, that they works like inserters, and grab several items at once.
Do you mean that on 1st picture output belt becomes not fully compressed, and there was a gap at some point?
In the first gif, the splitter introduces gaps in the output when it merges in the iron plates, highlighted by the debug option (the white lines). In the second gif it's fully compressed.

azurill_used_splash
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by azurill_used_splash »

I notice that you're using a loader in the belt compression examples, albeit with the placeholder asset. Loaders also show up in the NPE, although they cannot be crafted by players. Is this indicative of plans to fully implement loaders, or are you planning on leaving them as 'campaign only' items? Will there be any benefit to using a loader for, say, side-loading a belt, as in the example you're using compared to direct belt side loading or using a stack inserter?

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

Very interesting to see the crash data graph, especially since the changelogs aren't showing as many "fixed crash" lines in the past week.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Jon8RFC wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:17 pm
Very interesting to see the crash data graph, especially since the changelogs aren't showing as many "fixed crash" lines in the past week.
Maybe one bug caused 1000 crashes.

Return to β€œNews”