Friday Facts #285 - Bugs, Bugs, Bugs.

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #285 - Bugs, Bugs, Bugs.

Post by Xeorm »

Always love seeing graphical bugs like that. Wouldn't it be strange to see if blood actually stuck around in areas? Like mass murder of bugs would slowly turn the section redder?

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

12,000 auto-reports, it must be such a nice feature to have as the game devs to be able to quickly hone in major issues :) Without doubt it's the best thing we can do as 'beta' players to leave that auto crash upload option ticked!

Have to say I'm really loving the changes in .17, a years worth of work went in to it, and that fact shines. From the science changes to the great UI upgrade and the sprite updates are top notch too, Albert and his gang deserve a pay rise! Maybe you all do, what do I know? A feature never mentioned, which I love is the train length selection setting, I recall this coming up over on the ideas and suggestions thread maybe 6-9 months ago, and lo and behold.. Great feature. Wube really does listen! :) The only thing I hope you do take the time to look at is the electric info screen, never really liked it or felt it was intuitive, maybe that's just me.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt's friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiday :) Have a great weekend.

(edit: Spidertron! .. begs and wimpers..)
See the dailyβ„’ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

Reika wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:35 pm
I really would have preferred some sort of mention of where the auto-updater fix is progress-wise.
Hmm. Mine auto-updated from 0.17.6 (or maybe it was 0.17.7) to 0.17.8 the other day.

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

My bug report screenshoot made it into FFF :o

Feels like winning a lottery.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

Jon8RFC wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:53 pm
I really would have preferred some sort of mention of where the auto-updater fix is progress-wise.
Hmm. Mine auto-updated from 0.17.6 (or maybe it was 0.17.7) to 0.17.8 the other day.
Are you using Steam? I mean their native auto-updater that they have stated to be broken.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

I really would have preferred some sort of mention of where the auto-updater fix is progress-wise. Is it being worked on? Is a fix predicted to be soon? Is it proving far more difficult than expected? Is the fix being put on hold until the game itself is more stable?

As someone who is unwilling to update manually, it would be very much appreciated to have some idea of whether the updater can be expected to be fixed soon (here "soon" meaning within 10-15 days or so) or whether Factorio is something I might want to forget about for now and come back to in May.
We hope its back in working order, but we will see how things stand after this weekend

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

TOGoS wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:07 pm
TackleMcClean wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:42 pm
What's the mood like in the office?
Do you play any games during breaks? Are you eating pizza? If not pizza, what are you eating?
I'm drinking Soylent and have a cat on my lap. But then I'm working remotely. The Firefox extension that prevents me from getting sucked into looking at Facebook helps.
Pay the cat tax, show us your moggy.

DaemosDaen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaemosDaen »

The Firefox extension that prevents me from getting sucked into looking at Facebook helps.
Hahah I have a modified DNS entry in my house firewall that prevents me from opening Facebook, Reddit and from connecting to Steam during work hours. It doesn't work on Factorio.com ... might need to add that too.

It was not easy to get it to only happen during a specific time.

zero318
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by zero318 »

What're the strangest crashes you've seen so far? It's always interesting to read about things like in FFF235 and one time someone managed to give themselves a stack of blueprints.

If you're seeing any crashes about multiple players in the NPE, that's probably from me and my friends. We definitely made some code tweaks while trying to get it to work, so please ignore those. We're just being dumb.
I make mods! Feedback is appreciated, particularly if I broke something.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

Klonan wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:23 pm
I really would have preferred some sort of mention of where the auto-updater fix is progress-wise. Is it being worked on? Is a fix predicted to be soon? Is it proving far more difficult than expected? Is the fix being put on hold until the game itself is more stable?

As someone who is unwilling to update manually, it would be very much appreciated to have some idea of whether the updater can be expected to be fixed soon (here "soon" meaning within 10-15 days or so) or whether Factorio is something I might want to forget about for now and come back to in May.
We hope its back in working order, but we will see how things stand after this weekend
See, this is news and I am happy to hear it. Hell, I would have been happy to hear it even if it was bad news. But I shall try the next update and see.

TOGoS
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by TOGoS »

Ratzap wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:41 pm
Do you play any games during breaks? Are you eating pizza? If not pizza, what are you eating?
I'm drinking Soylent and have a cat on my lap. But then I'm working remotely. The Firefox extension that prevents me from getting sucked into looking at Facebook helps.
The cat that was on my lap is now off taking a nap somewhere, so here's one of my other cats.
Mable in cat tree.
Mable in cat tree.
MableInCatTree.jpg (418.75 KiB) Viewed 6165 times

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:01 pm
Are you using Steam? I mean their native auto-updater that they have stated to be broken.
Not steam, the standalone. It's not updating to 0.17.9 now though. I must have gotten in during a narrow window when it was accidentally running again when 0.17.8 was released.

EDIT:
It was 0.17.7 that auto-updated to 0.17.8, because 0.17.7 is the last installer version I have downloaded.
Last edited by Jon8RFC on Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:14 pm
Not steam, the standalone. It's not updating to 0.17.9 now though. I must have gotten in during a narrow window when it was accidentally running again when 0.17.8 was released.
The 0.17.8 -> 0.17.9 update should work,
Can you double check you have the 'Enable experimental updates' option checked?

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

Klonan wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:19 pm
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:14 pm
The 0.17.8 -> 0.17.9 update should work,
Can you double check you have the 'Enable experimental updates' option checked?
Yep, it's working with that option checked again! My config got a few settings reset testing the steam vs standalone startup times yesterday...which, by the way, doesn't start up any slower for me.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

Earendel wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:00 pm
palms.png
Is that the cell shaded bug/effect? If so, that does look pretty cool...
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

πŸ±πŸ’—πŸ˜­

Earendel
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Earendel »

malventano wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:28 pm
Earendel wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:00 pm
palms.png
Is that the cell shaded bug/effect? If so, that does look pretty cool...
No, it's just the last update fixed the autoplace settings so my palm trees are appearing near the coast properly.

Ratzap
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ratzap »

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:07 pm
Ratzap wrote: ↑
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:41 pm
The cat that was on my lap is now off taking a nap somewhere, so here's one of my other cats.

MableInCatTree.jpg
A fine looking tabby, an acceptable substitute.

Mernom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mernom »

I had a fairly odd bug. When I was setting up my steam array, all of my decoratives suddenly dissappear.
A few updates later, I noticed that they are back, so it was probably fixed.

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Sander_Bouwhuis »

I hope you will introduce a cell-shaded option to Factorio! I absolutely love that style.

Return to β€œNews”