Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Post Reply
User avatar
zero318
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by zero318 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:21 pm

darq wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:02 pm
Very cool design!
About the color of Infinity chest, I think that pink color was excellent to recognize when seeing from afar.
I agree. Even though it was obviously just a placeholder graphic, the color choice made it easy to identify while testing builds.
I make mods for 0.17! Feedback is appreciated, particularly if I broke something.

User avatar
MoleOnDope
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:16 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by MoleOnDope » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:23 pm

I would have made a list with those aspects that I am excited about concerning the latest news on game version 0.17, but for the sake of preserving time I will instead conclude:

I, indeed, am hyped AF.

Really though, everything looks great, especially the new Silo!
I'ven been waiting for my new 0.17 adventure since christmas and I'm so down for sinking more time into it than I can really afford :lol:

I'm a bit concerned with all the tweaks concerning enemies, to me it sounds like the default settings playthrough is going to be a fair bit more difficult now and the vermin already annoys the crap out of me :? But maybe it's really time for me to step up the game and bring out the flamethrower turrets...

Also I would have loved to play around with the (complete) new fluid system right from release... But if it's just not stable enough I'll just have to wait.

So excited to pick my all new 0.17 map very soon!

Luaan
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by Luaan » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:24 pm

It feels like you may have overdid that fix to the biter belt exploit - blue belts barely slow them down, which doesn't quite fit how much of an effect belts have on the player character. That said, I've only ever used it in the most hard-core emergencies - as already mentioned, they're quite ugly, don't mesh well with flame turrets, aren't really that useful and it kind of exploits more than just the biter logic (e.g. the fact that belts run for free). As much as it's a nice example of emergent gameplay, it doesn't really fit (unlike dragonteeth :P ).

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by RocketManChronicles » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:27 pm

Awesome guys! Love the hi-res chests and rocket silo. I am highly anticipating spending another set of countless hours playing the game with new shinies and recipes.

Sander_Bouwhuis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 252
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by Sander_Bouwhuis » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:30 pm

Sooooooooooooooo happy to FINALLY see an update.

This may sound a bit silly, but will we see any large/obvious difference?
What has changed in the last more than a year?

Is it primarily different recipes with slightly better graphics?

CmdrVoid
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:08 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by CmdrVoid » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:31 pm

Quick question: Will the animated chest make noise like the roboports?
Because the roboports make a noise that is not considered "environmental sound" by the game options.
Any chance that can get changed?

User avatar
Raiguard
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by Raiguard » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:33 pm

Sander_Bouwhuis wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:30 pm
Sooooooooooooooo happy to FINALLY see an update.

This may sound a bit silly, but will we see any large/obvious difference?
What has changed in the last more than a year?

Is it primarily different recipes with slightly better graphics?
They completely scrapped and rewrote the game's engine from scratch, so there's bound to be uncountable numbers of small differences throughout the game.
Don't forget, you're here forever.

User avatar
arrow in my gluteus
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by arrow in my gluteus » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:35 pm

JCav wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:20 pm
arrow in my gluteus wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:34 pm
As you can see, there are a lot of things happening at the last moment, but it seems that there shouldn't be a big obstacle in the way of release next week.
What about the 65 unassigned bug reports?
I'm sure they're VERY thankful that you mentioned bug reports. I suspect they're so unfamiliar with releasing a successful game which has hundreds of thousands of sales, that they completely overlooked the concept of 'bug reports.'

Perhaps they're looking for an office manager?
I wasn't telling them about it, I was asking about it. Because the number was increasing (was about 50 at https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-278) I was curious if the were planning to leave it for after the release, or if they simply expected to get through them that fast.

you don't need to be that sarcastic about it.

pingger
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by pingger » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:39 pm

The Logistic Chests need a tiny attenna! Now they can open and close, but how do they transmit their content-information to the logistic network?

yohannc
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by yohannc » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:41 pm

arrow in my gluteus wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:35 pm
JCav wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:20 pm
arrow in my gluteus wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:34 pm
As you can see, there are a lot of things happening at the last moment, but it seems that there shouldn't be a big obstacle in the way of release next week.
What about the 65 unassigned bug reports?
I'm sure they're VERY thankful that you mentioned bug reports. I suspect they're so unfamiliar with releasing a successful game which has hundreds of thousands of sales, that they completely overlooked the concept of 'bug reports.'

Perhaps they're looking for an office manager?
I wasn't telling them about it, I was asking about it. Because the number was increasing (was about 50 at https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-278) I was curious if the were planning to leave it for after the release, or if they simply expected to get through them that fast.

you don't need to be that sarcastic about it.
Some bugs are now obsoletes. For example if there is a bug report for the fluid system, it's probably don't exists in their new fluid system engine.

For the rocket silo, it look good, but the sadly the shadow of the rocket on the silo miss a little :(

henke37
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by henke37 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:44 pm

I'm going to miss the spotlight on the rocket silo, I really liked that one.

programaths
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by programaths » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:47 pm

pingger wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:39 pm
The Logistic Chests need a tiny attenna! Now they can open and close, but how do they transmit their content-information to the logistic network?
They have an internal antena, like your mobile phone! A clever design which prevent deterioration by alien species.

OBXandos
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:53 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by OBXandos » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:49 pm

JCav wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:20 pm
arrow in my gluteus wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:34 pm
As you can see, there are a lot of things happening at the last moment, but it seems that there shouldn't be a big obstacle in the way of release next week.
What about the 65 unassigned bug reports?
I'm sure they're VERY thankful that you mentioned bug reports. I suspect they're so unfamiliar with releasing a successful game which has hundreds of thousands of sales, that they completely overlooked the concept of 'bug reports.'

Perhaps they're looking for an office manager?
Mmm, yeah, if you could just go ahead and come in on Saturday to finish up those bug reports, that would be great.

xfir01
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by xfir01 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:50 pm

Raiguard wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:33 pm
Sander_Bouwhuis wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:30 pm
Sooooooooooooooo happy to FINALLY see an update.

This may sound a bit silly, but will we see any large/obvious difference?
What has changed in the last more than a year?

Is it primarily different recipes with slightly better graphics?
They completely scrapped and rewrote the game's engine from scratch, so there's bound to be uncountable numbers of small differences throughout the game.
They didn't go that far, but there's been some pretty significant changes.

An overhaul to the GUI, the way action bars work, blueprints, recipes for science packs got reworked, graphical updates....I'm sure they'll have a comprehensive list when they release it, or if you want a preview, head back through the FFFs for the past year or one of the roadmap threads like viewtopic.php?f=3&t=678 or viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61864

erkle
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by erkle » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:53 pm

Yay! I can tell the active provider and requester chests apart. Now if only I could do the same with red, green and copper wires. :lol:

User avatar
CDarklock
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:17 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by CDarklock » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:53 pm

arrow in my gluteus wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:34 pm
What about the 65 unassigned bug reports?
My psychic powers tell me they're not going to be fixed for the 0.17 release.

User avatar
Raiguard
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by Raiguard » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:58 pm

xfir01 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:50 pm
Raiguard wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:33 pm
Sander_Bouwhuis wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:30 pm
Sooooooooooooooo happy to FINALLY see an update.

This may sound a bit silly, but will we see any large/obvious difference?
What has changed in the last more than a year?

Is it primarily different recipes with slightly better graphics?
They completely scrapped and rewrote the game's engine from scratch, so there's bound to be uncountable numbers of small differences throughout the game.
They didn't go that far, but there's been some pretty significant changes.

An overhaul to the GUI, the way action bars work, blueprints, recipes for science packs got reworked, graphical updates....I'm sure they'll have a comprehensive list when they release it, or if you want a preview, head back through the FFFs for the past year or one of the roadmap threads like viewtopic.php?f=3&t=678 or viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61864
They actually did completely scrap the engine.
Don't forget, you're here forever.

User avatar
mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 830
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by mexmer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:59 pm

this line scares me
The Rocket Silo without the rocket uses sixteen 8192x8192px textures which makes our 1080Ti run out of VRAM to render.
i have only 4GB 1050Ti

anyways, looking forward for next week release.

btw. i don't like opening animation on logistic boxes, but ... guess that's just matter of preference.

Rhamphoryncus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by Rhamphoryncus » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:00 pm

I'm a little bothered that logistic chests are shaped like iron chests but use steel chests in the recipe (unless that changed but I doubt it.)

User avatar
Shingen
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #283 - Prepare to Launch

Post by Shingen » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:00 pm

cool, i can't wait for the update.

one minor thing bugs me, however, and it's that weird difference that i can't put into words of the logistic chest "doors", between them being closed and during the opening animation...
new_log_chest_cut.gif
new_log_chest_cut.gif (4.42 KiB) Viewed 4638 times
the color changes slightly, and it loses its 'depth'.
Last edited by Shingen on Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Noorphish