Page 1 of 10

Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:22 pm
by Klonan

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:33 pm
by Yehn
Never ceases to amaze me that there's still tons of new features that get me excited to play factorio again and again.

On a sidenote, highres accumulators worry me the most... since their animations are already the most prone to stuttering as base size increases..

edit: Oh, an idea. Since a number of people hunt for island start seeds, but don't necessarily want their island to be the only land - how about making an island start an option? Since it seems like you might already have a framework going.

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:35 pm
by Raiguard
Holy crap that's a lot of info! Thank you devs for being so awesome!

I was planning on making a giant proposal for how I would have implemented the blueprint library, but it seems that almost everything I wanted has been implemented. The only thing I would want now is the ability to hide the Inventory panel, since I never ever plan on using my inventory to hold blueprints.

EDIT: One more thing that would make the library perfect: the ability to open it as a sidebar, with a more compact list view. This would allow one to quickly use blueprints from their library and dismiss them, all without having to fiddle with opening and closing the window.

The amount of effort going into QoL and the map generator is insane, thank you so much. I really disliked the 0.16 map generation (waaaayy too much water!) so hearing that it's back to the original elevation generation is amazing.

Looking forward to 0.17! :D

As a side note, I don't know why, but some of the more recent hi-res graphics look a bit too "smooth". There's not enough dents and rust on them to fit in with everything else. But hey, I'm not the artist, so what do I know?

EDIT 2: Wait, in the description of the moisture and bias sliders, you say "red-deserty". Does this mean... RED DESERT!?

EDIT 3: Ah nice, the new sound system is still a thing. I was getting kinda worried since you didn't mention it at all after the one artillery wagon demo...

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:40 pm
by HornetSV
0.17 is here!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:41 pm
by SootStack
With the island terrain changes, will there be other islands on the map to expand to or is it just the one?

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:43 pm
by liwers
Meow, meow, Kitty want to know, will the new map generator compatible with Resource Spawner Overhaul mod where the preview function in present version is unavailable..?

Meow..!

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:43 pm
by EnProsent
Formal protest that the release date is on a Monday and not Friday, so we can play during the weekend :mrgreen: hehe

Good job though, looking forward to this!

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:45 pm
by animagus_kitty
@EnProsent: To be fair, they said 'the week of the 25th', not the 25th itself. It may yet release later in the week. ^_^ Just keep your formal protests civil :P

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:49 pm
by Jap2.0
Nice!

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:58 pm
by Brathahn
what.PNG
what.PNG (21.29 KiB) Viewed 10538 times
new ores?

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:01 pm
by pleegwat
EnProsent wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:43 pm
Formal protest that the release date is on a Monday and not Friday, so we can play during the weekend :mrgreen: hehe

Good job though, looking forward to this!
I think the devs have indicated in the past that they prefer a Monday release because they don't want players to have to deal with an annoying easily-fixed bug in the first weekend.

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:06 pm
by J-H
A starting island that can be bridged to a mainland (via landfill) sounds good. A starting island with nothing but water around it sounds like a recipe for a factory that dies because it can't get more resources.

I'd like some clarification on which one we're getting.

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:08 pm
by Klonan
J-H wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:06 pm
A starting island that can be bridged to a mainland (via landfill) sounds good. A starting island with nothing but water around it sounds like a recipe for a factory that dies because it can't get more resources.

I'd like some clarification on which one we're getting.
A starting island with nothing but water around it,
It will be a somewhat 'challenge map', to launch a rocket with only the limited resources the Island provides

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:09 pm
by Rebmes
Remember when you had to hunt down all the different words used in the game, and consolidate into a bit more consistency?

In your previewed Map Generator, on the Terrain tab, you're using a multitude of different words that basically mean the same thing.

For water and trees, you have "Scale" and "Coverage".
For cliffs, you have "Frequency" and "Continuity".
For "moisture" and "terrain type" (which means grass and red desert?) you have "Scale" and "Bias".

To be honest, as I put this together, most of it sounds like gibberish, no offense; descriptors like "Coverage" and "Bias" don't mean anything to me. I'd be more comfortable with "Frequency" and "Size" that you had before, and it could be applied to everything on this list (even cliffs), which would look much neater.

I get that you're trying to give the player more options here, but it has to be approachable, it has to make sense.

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:10 pm
by pleegwat
So in a sense this island start is similar to limiting your map size to the starting area?

Since uranium isn't in the starting area, is uranium on the island? Is oil?

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:11 pm
by EBhero
You guys could also make a beta version of 0.17, so we can also look for the bugs if we want to, while also not disturbing other people who don't want to.

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:12 pm
by Klonan
pleegwat wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:10 pm
So in a sense this island start is similar to limiting your map size to the starting area?

Since uranium isn't in the starting area, is uranium on the island? Is oil?
Yes, a 'nicer' way of playing on a limited map

There is oil and uranium on the map, just outside the small initial biter-free starting area (Which is distinct from the starting area terrain/plateau)

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:12 pm
by Klonan
EBhero wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:11 pm
You guys could also make a beta version of 0.17, so we can also look for the bugs if we want to, while also not disturbing other people who don't want to.
That is what we call our 'Experimental' version, which is a 'alpha/beta' of the next alpha release...

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:13 pm
by GenBOOM
SootStack wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:41 pm
With the island terrain changes, will there be other islands on the map to expand to or is it just the one?
yeah an archipelago option would be nice

also the ability to decide the size of islands relative to each other.

then you could have a giant island thats basically a continent on the map

this makes boat mods so much better now

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:14 pm
by melind
Just a few things:

- Yay .17

- Map generation looks incredible, way better then what I was hoping for of "make sure starting maps are viable". The island looks great too, I'm guessing once you use up the resources on the island you can't progress since its literally all water out there?

- And a kind of dumb suggestion, it would look cool if accumulators would arc electricity to other nearby accumulators.


Thanks! Looking forward to trying out .17 when its ready!