Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Regular reports on Factorio development.
spinba11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #282 - 0.17 in sight

Post by spinba11 »

What decision was made about smelting speed?

Acacel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Acacel »

Great news to see 0.17 coming
meganothing wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:09 pm
Great. This probably means the 0.16 generator is in as a game option too, right? If not, count me in as one who would like that to happen. It is an interesting variation, especially for train network building without using landfill.
the landmass itself was quite interesting, with the new and better ore placement I also would like it to see that there is an optin to start a world with the old gen

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

5thHorseman wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:07 pm
pieterhulsen wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:16 am
I played for hundreds of hours and never thought about the great idea of allocating inventory space.... or realised that it was possible/to try it
I feel so stupid now
Don't. The lack of it in chests makes it seem like a trains-only thing.

PS can we have item slot filtering in chests?
Vehicle-only thing - cars and tanks have it too.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

BlueTemplar wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:52 am
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:07 pm
pieterhulsen wrote: ↑
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:16 am
I played for hundreds of hours and never thought about the great idea of allocating inventory space.... or realised that it was possible/to try it
I feel so stupid now
Don't. The lack of it in chests makes it seem like a trains-only thing.

PS can we have item slot filtering in chests?
Vehicle-only thing - cars and tanks have it too.
Huh. I never even thought to try it on a car or tank. I've wanted it in chests since I learned it was in trains though.

I wonder if there's some tiny UPS hit that isn't a big deal on vehicles because there are so few of them, but would be on chests.

Or maybe they just don't love us. Yeah. That's probably it.

(insert meme of the sad bear)
Last edited by 5thHorseman on Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Filias
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Filias »

Sorry if it was in some previous Friday Facts. But will have new version better map generator? I have map with iron and copper sets on "very low", but presence of iron on map is much bigger.

ledow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ledow »

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:01 am
Huh. I never even thought to try it on a car or train. I've wanted it in chests since I learned it was in trains though.
I always mark the cargo wagons of trains with filtered spaces. That way, it helps stop contamination of the lines, and if it should accidentally stop at some other station it won't fill up with junk.

Though you can do similar with filter inserters, it's much easier and cheaper to just do it to the wagon in the first place. Then you can change your stops as you see fit (I often change stops with expired resources to be generic collection points for anything nearby... that way I don't have to re-run track, just rename the stop and a "junk" train comes along and takes anything that might be in there).

I can't tell you the number of times I've sent a train to the wrong stop, failed to change all the trains' stops, or manually driven a train (to refuel it, for example) and it's started to load up with something completely wrong - and before you know it, it's zooming back to base to unload or it's full of junk and can't do its job. It can be a mess to sort out from there if you don't filter your wagons.

Also handy when you want to have a train that both collects uranium in the first wagon and delivers sulfuric in the second, for example. You can then have a refuel-only train that does nothing with its first wagon (filtered so it never puts anything in it) but just delivers sulfuric to all the places it's needed, without having to have secondary stops.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

can't tell you the number of times I've sent a train to the wrong stop, failed to change all the trains' stops, or manually driven a train (to refuel it, for example) and it's started to load up with something completely wrong - and before you know it, it's zooming back to base to unload or it's full of junk and can't do its job. It can be a mess to sort out from there if you don't filter your wagons.
With custom train taxi coming up, that sounds like a situation which will happen ALL THE TIME. Grab a random train, set a random destination, and suddenly copper ore is flowing through your steel base.
Will trains lock their inventory while they're performing taxi logic?

meganothing
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by meganothing »

ledow wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:40 pm
I always mark the cargo wagons of trains with filtered spaces. That way, it helps stop contamination of the lines, and if it should accidentally stop at some other station it won't fill up with junk.
Is there a way to do that in one stroke? I did not find a way other than doing it cell by cell and obviously that is too much work.

bobucles wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:51 pm
With custom train taxi coming up, that sounds like a situation which will happen ALL THE TIME. Grab a random train, set a random destination, and suddenly copper ore is flowing through your steel base.
Will trains lock their inventory while they're performing taxi logic?
Even if not, just don't ever use train stops as taxi destination and you're good. Directly before the first inserter of a station should be totally safe
Last edited by meganothing on Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neandertal
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Neandertal »

Everything sounds great to me.

Would it possible to have options to link bites to "biomes" or one of the humidity/terrain type settings. I think it would be sweet to play in games where the biters are only in the dessert of only on the grasslands.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Even if not, just don't ever use train stops as taxi destination and you're good. Directly before the first inserter of a station should be totally safe
Player diligence works in single player but is not multiplayer safe. Trains already have locking behavior on automatic. If they want to move but are halted, the inventory stays locked. Taxi is a form of automatic mode so it shouldn't be too hard to have matching behavior.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:01 am
Huh. I never even thought to try it on a car or train. I've wanted it in chests since I learned it was in trains though.
I actually do this too. I totally had the worst braino* up there and totally ruined my own sentence. I meant to say "Huh. I never even thought to try it on a car or tank. I've wanted it in chests since I learned it was in trains though."

*Braino: A typo, but made by your brain and not your fingers.

ledow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ledow »

meganothing wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:41 pm
Is there a way to do that in one stroke? I did not find a way other than doing it cell by cell and obviously that is too much work.
I tend to pick up a handful of whatever I want to filter and then (is it right-)click all the boxes in the wagon. Still not fast, but a damn sight quicker than choosing from filter lists.

And then, obviously, copy/paste from wagons with the same filters for all subsequent wagons.

OBXandos
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by OBXandos »

thecatlover1996 wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:52 pm
yeah I assumed thats what the original graphics were trying to do - show that they are connected in a grid.
Now I am wondering why we don't have Tesla Coils for defense. I feel like that could be a unique turret type. Arcing AoE and more of them combined could chain together for more damage. They could be overwhelmed lots of small biters but would work great against larger biters or medium sized groups. Not to mention the inordinate amount of stress it would put on the electric grid. Sounds like some decent trade offs for decent benefits.

Can't wait for 0.17!

Mashtorio
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mashtorio »

BlueTemplar wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:11 am
kovarex wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:21 pm
dee- wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:00 pm
Are blueprints and blueprint books automatically synced as individual files/directories from and to the disk?
Then I could init a Git repository there and version control all my blueprints...
:geek:
They are not (just blueprint.dat). What you say makes sense, but I'm not sure what to do with that :) A super-user option to keep blueprints in directory structure instead of a file? Well, i believe, that just making backups of the file is enough for the typical geek.
That would be great !
I'm sure that people with lots of blueprints would love you if you implemented that.

And with an image showing the blueprint ! (Using the mods that it was created with.)

(I have no idea about the potential performance issues of course...)
I am interested in this as well.

I have had situations occur where I made a change to a blueprint that turned out to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad change, but by that point I'd made enough changes to other blueprints that simply rolling back was a logistical nightmare. To that end, my current process is to meticulously organize and track my blueprints by making changes to the blueprint and then exporting the blueprint string and adding/updating files containing those strings in my GitHub repo.

Modifying how blueprints (and blueprint books) are stored would would simplify this process for me (and others, it seems) greatly.

Rammix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Rammix »

Loving the development ways of Factorio.

off topic

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Rammix wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:22 pm
Loving the development ways of Factorio.

off topic
(EDITED)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Inverness
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Inverness »

kovarex wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:21 pm
dee- wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:00 pm
Are blueprints and blueprint books automatically synced as individual files/directories from and to the disk?
Then I could init a Git repository there and version control all my blueprints...
:geek:
They are not (just blueprint.dat). What you say makes sense, but I'm not sure what to do with that :) A super-user option to keep blueprints in directory structure instead of a file? Well, i believe, that just making backups of the file is enough for the typical geek.
Does it need to be a super-user option?

It makes sense to me to keep blueprints as individual JSON files so they can be both easily backed up and shared between users.

Trainwreck
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Trainwreck »

So what's the story with sand-4? My 0.16.51 installation has a couple of files in data/base/graphics/terrain named sand-4.png and hr-sand-4.png. These aren't referenced anywhere in the base game lua prototypes. From the above image it looks like they won't be in 0.17 either.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

posila wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:40 pm
pleegwat wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:01 am
What is going to happen to existing 0.16 maps during the upgrade? Will these keep using the old noise function after upgrade, and generate new chunks which match the old ones, or will there be sudden transitions like we've seen in the past?
posila wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:16 am
There will be sudden transitions like in the past.
So TOGoS messaged me the old maps will keep using 0.16 generator (with some tweaks), so there won't be so sudden transitions as in previous map generator updates.
You know, this would be big news if true. If people knew about it, we might keep playing our 0.16 saves right now. Can there be details on "some tweaks"?

ABDUZEEDO
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ABDUZEEDO »

An option to put the most spaced resources in the railworld mode.

Return to β€œNews”