Friday Facts #280 - Visual Feedback is the king

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Galapagon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #280 - Visual Feedback is the king

Post by Galapagon »

The toolbar selector should include the hotkeys for that command (Such as ctrl-c or ctrl-v) if any have been set

Grejt_cz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Grejt_cz »

What if copy/paste supported system clipboard? You could just copy a blueprint from web and paste it into Factorio and vice versa. Only problem may be, that you would fill your clipboard with base64 "nonsence" that you would occaisionally paste into a textfield.
BTW: really like all these features especialy the train map being draggable.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Reading the FFF without reading the comments.
This can be also used to figure out problems in the rail network, as moving the mouse can help you to find out what section is blocked out because of bad signaling, missing rails etc.
AWESOME. One of the hardest things to troubleshoot will be much easier. Especially on the forums for other people :)
The view is centered on the current locomotive by default, but once you start dragging, the link is cancelled, and you can move wherever you like. Pressing the button will center it again.
Perfect. Intuitive. Just like Google maps.
One of the most common ideas from last weeks discussion thread was some visualisation of the AND/OR condition precedence, which was quite easy to do. When you don't have a complex condition, such as a simple 'Time elapsed AND Inactivity', the visualisation won't show. Only when you have a combination of 'AND' and 'OR' conditions, will the precedence be shown.
This is also good, though I can't help but wish for the ability to modify those brackets. But just seeing them will solve most every single question I have while making conditions.
A waypoint would be a stop in the schedule, where the train doesn't even stop, it just goes through it. Instead of having another checkbox settings on every stop for that, we just changed the rule, that no conditions on a stop means, that the train doesn't stop at all.
:o

Thank you.
The fact, that all these things are finished now means, that the Train GUI chapter is closed and we can move on.
Aww. Well I understand. It does look fantastic and I can't wait to fiddle with it.

HammerPiano
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by HammerPiano »

I didn't think I needed these kind of changes, but now I know that I need

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

Thanks for the new toggles! The toolbar will be an awesome addition.

Please make the personal roboport a 3-way toggle. On/off/self-only.
With self-only in multiplayer, inventory won't empty/fill when walking by something done by another player.
One thing to consider is should self-only still repair and/or replace destroyed entities.

Regarding the logistics & trash toggle suggestion:
Since there's a smaller inventory without armor, maybe a 3-way switch for on/off/armor-only?
The armor-only would disable it when a player dies, and once they get their armor back, it turns back on automatically.

Please add the belt immunity as a toolbar toggle.

Like the temporary train stops, I'd still love to see temporary logistics requests. Set it for 100, it fills or reaches 100, and it goes away.

Razorlance
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Razorlance »

But once we allow any interaction with the map, the map needs be useful, so we allow to move and zoom the map the same way as the normal game map.
Why not just make the left panel of the train GUI appear over the normal map mode when we click on a train, and allow us the full screen of normal map mode to navigate rather than the reduced size of the train GUI window?

Loving the the new GUI overall, lots of quality of life improvements that are most welcome.

Durabys
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Durabys »

Jon8RFC wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:33 pm

With self-only in multiplayer, inventory won't empty/fill when walking by something done by another player.
One thing to consider is should self-only still repair and/or replace destroyed entities.

Since there's a smaller inventory without armor, maybe a 3-way switch for on/off/armor-only?
The armor-only would disable it when a player dies, and once they get their armor back, it turns back on automatically.

Like the temporary train stops, I'd still love to see temporary logistics requests. Set it for 100, it fills or reaches 100, and it goes away.
Is there a collective thread for Quality of Life ideas like these, please? Because it would be helluva useful.

Cleany
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cleany »

Ok that's it.

I'm sure there are more like me who read the Friday Facts every week and want to say this but can't be bothered to go through the hassle of loggin in etc. but ...

You guys are absolutely amazing, these improvements are fantastic, so much more than anyone could expect. The new GUI looks amazing, I can't wait for the update.

You consistantly surpass expectations, every area you improve works incredibly well. This is top notch work and you are creating something incredible.

Iccor56
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Iccor56 »

regarding the tool selection part of the quick bar:

will the size of the section change based on how many tools are in it or manually? i would hate to only have a couple tools in the bar and have 8 empty spots blocking the screen.

MicFac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MicFac »

0mega wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:52 pm
Toggle roboport and exoskeleton is great. Maybe toggle all trash slots too?
+1

Iccor56
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Iccor56 »

Tomik wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:38 pm
Jon8RFC wrote:

Is there a collective thread for Quality of Life ideas like these, please? Because it would be helluva useful.
i second all three of these. especially the 1st and third. i am constantly turning off my personal roboport by addon so i can plan the area and then build it once it is done but the roboports seems to turn back on sometimes with out me realizing it because the addons are just not as capable and absolute as native code.

millaaron
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by millaaron »

Excellent new info on the trains and tool bar

Something i have been wanting since i started playing in .13 is the ability to move the toolbar from bottom center
It takes up a lot of screen realestate even more so with mods that add more toolbars getting in the way of blueprinting

I am thinking an option settings to pick the location (or drag-able) at minimum docked to either lower corner
or vertical on either side

Thanks for all the great work
Looking forward to .17

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

Visual Feedback my a.....!!!

YOU are the kings!
Even if this game wouldn´t be as awesome as it is already, the way you listen to and communicte with us is something every major AAA (that description is a joke btw, it should be D-) dev/publisher should have a look at, altho they´ll never even come close to it, because shareholders must be pleased

Im not gonna add anything else, there are already so many suggestions.
Im still in awe, the 2nd parts of the trains + toolbar previews are too much sugar, it feels like the cake is gonna collapse under it.

Zool
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zool »

KingIonTrueLove wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:43 pm
Another amazing FFF! Once this game is released it needs to get an award for 'best ui of all time'

^^^^ THIS !!!!! ❤️

AngledLuffa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AngledLuffa »

The improvements to the train GUI look great! Looking forward to playing with them.

I'm also glad to hear conditional stops are on your radar, even if not implemented this patch. Either "go if" or "skip if" would be very powerful.

Naium
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Naium »

Hey Factorio Team,

THIS IS AWESOME!! I am so excited for the new version :)

I was very active on the factorio-subreddit, and lately I saw a view people suggesting something along the way of automating personal logistics.

There are two ideas that I know of. I find them to be worth thinking about:
1. Have a button (or an entry to the tools-bar or sth.) that just "refreshes" your inventory, so everything that is not requested goes to char.trash slots. Currently this is achieved by having lots of active provider chests standing around and just shift-clicking everything in the inventory into them, but this is kind of inconvenient. And I personally think this would be a mechanic that dose not change the user experience/balance etc. But I am not the one to judge this :)
2. Have the ability to request all materials needed to build a specific blueprint. Maybe a checkbox or a tool, idk.

Reading about the toolbelt just gave me the idea to suggest more "handy" tools. Maybe just have a thought about it.

I absolute love this game, u are my heroes.

NelsonSKA
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NelsonSKA »

Nice Work! I like the toolbar, it's looks simple to use, and it's the beginning to add another useful options in the future.

Naium
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Naium »

Iccor56 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:47 pm
Tomik wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:38 pm
Jon8RFC wrote:

i second all three of these. especially the 1st and third. i am constantly turning off my personal roboport by addon so i can plan the area and then build it once it is done but the roboports seems to turn back on sometimes with out me realizing it because the addons are just not as capable and absolute as native code.
and I "third" all of this.

iLubFactorio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by iLubFactorio »

What GrumpyJoe said :)

The Train GUI is very nice, finally i can see where i missed a piece of rail, very useful when you have a wide network. Also the temporary stops will help tremendously when expanding that network.
And then copy/cut paste.... Hah, a dream comes true.

When is 0.17 coming out again?

You're the best!

FrodoOf9Fingers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrodoOf9Fingers »

Waypoints are awesome, I can give pathing hints to trains to speed up the algorithm. Now we just need sone optimizations for trains moving :). At least, I feel like simple train movement takes a decent amount of ups.

Return to “News”