Friday Facts #278 - The new quickbar

Regular reports on Factorio development.

Ludwig234
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #278 - The new quickbar

Post by Ludwig234 »

I love the quickbar
But whenever I say that I will do this or that, it looks very different when the time comes.

Amegatron
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Amegatron »

Sounds nice.
Will it be possible to switch quickbar pages by hotkeys? Or just by mouse-clicking?

UPD: nvm, didn't read carefully.
Last edited by Amegatron on Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blacksmoke16
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Blacksmoke16 »

Will the pages you define for the quick bar persist between game to game or server to server?

Blacksmoke16
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Blacksmoke16 »

Amegatron wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:22 pm
Sounds nice.
Will it be possible to switch quickbar pages by hotkeys? Or just by mouse-clicking?
keys 1 to 0 will pick the item in the slots of the top selected page. Shift + 1 to Shift + 0 will change the the top selected page.
Last edited by Blacksmoke16 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

I am definitely waiting for this release like never before!

ethernal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ethernal »

Love the quick bar and pages concept, please do the same for Logistic Requests and Trash slots. It's gonna be a life saver!

Amegatron
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Amegatron »

Blacksmoke16 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:23 pm
Amegatron wrote:
Sounds nice.
keys 1 to 0 will pick the item in the slots of the top selected page. Shift + 1 to Shift + 0 will change the the top selected page.
I meant the other thing. Imagine I have 2 active quickbar rows. The question was: will it be possible to activate any of other 8 pages by hotkey, e.g. Ctrl+Shift+[0-9].

L0laapk3
Inserter
Inserter

Post by L0laapk3 »

As for the ghost cursor stuff, I don't really like having it disabled by default.
You already know theres gonna be 100 million people who will never realise that its an option.

I think it would be a good idea to turn it on automatically when you unlock construction robots, and give a quick popup to explain it. (And optionally a setting: enable ghost cursor before construction robots or something along those lines).

tzwaan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by tzwaan »

Amegatron wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:26 pm
Blacksmoke16 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:23 pm
Amegatron wrote:
Sounds nice.
I meant the other thing. Imagine I have 2 active quickbar rows. The question was: will it be possible to activate any of other 8 pages by hotkey, e.g. Ctrl+Shift+[0-9].
That's what he just said though.

keys 1 to 0 will pick the items

shift + 1 to shift + 0 will change the page.

There don't seem to be any shortcuts for the bottom toolbar row (which there aren't currently in the game either)

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Love it. It's always annoying when things move between the quickbar and the inventory for some reason.

Or just that you can now see how much of some item that you really have instead of just the one stack in the toolbelt

And the multiple quickbars for different situations. YES! :D

Amegatron
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Amegatron »

DELETED
UPD: Sorry, I just read it more atentively :/ NVM.
Last edited by Amegatron on Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

imajor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by imajor »

What about the hand? Is that still a special inventory entry?

kitasima
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kitasima »

Dear developers.
I have introduced MOD which increases the number of quick bars (2 -> 3 -> 4 ...). Are there compatibility or extensibility in the roadmap?
I am not satisfied with the two quick bars. ; )
thank you.

Pinga
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pinga »

Nice! Now questions:

1) Will my toolbars' layout be remembered across games? Having to remake your toolbars every game, every multiplayer server, every load, is not very fun.
The number of pages visible on the main screen is configurable.
2) Does this means I can have more than 2 active toolbars (like Bob's), or is it related to the ammount of extra pages, up to 10?

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

Automatically turning on ghost place when construction robots/blueprints/whatever is unlocked sounds smart. Also retaining the ability to turn it on yourself in the options as well maybe (the option should be "allow ghost placing before construction robots researched")

The quickbar looks amazing! I'm going to have to train myself to get super efficient with the 1-0/shift1-0 combinations to pick items quickly!

One question: will quickbar settings be continuous between games? I can see the benefits of this - you don't have to reset all 100 slots everytime you restart - but I think overall it might make more sense not to sync it between saves:

1) Items you have in your shortcuts at the end of your last game will almost certainly not be unlocked at the beginning of your new game. I will just be faced with a wall of unusable ghosts which make me feel disappointed that I haven't unlocked yet.
2) It discourages changing play style. If all my shortcuts are set in preference of doing things one way (eg. certain weapons/capsules, or only laser turrets, not flamethrowers), then I'll play the same sort of way next time. Not that I'll forget alternatives exist, but the options I'm familiar and used to are presented in a handy way so I don't have to find them, and notice another weapon whilst I'm looking.

Hope that makes sense!

P.S. I am all for delaying 0.17 for as long as necessary until you're completely ready to make it experimental
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

psihius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by psihius »

@Twinsen @Klonan now, let's talk about Spidertron... :twisted: :D

MicFac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MicFac »

Jonathan88 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:45 pm
Automatically turning on ghost place when construction robots/blueprints/whatever is unlocked sounds smart. Also retaining the ability to turn it on yourself in the options as well maybe (the option should be "allow ghost placing before construction robots researched")

The quickbar looks amazing! I'm going to have to train myself to get super efficient with the 1-0/shift1-0 combinations to pick items quickly!

One question: will quickbar settings be continuous between games? I can see the benefits of this - you don't have to reset all 100 slots everytime you restart - but I think overall it might make more sense not to sync it between saves:

1) Items you have in your shortcuts at the end of your last game will almost certainly not be unlocked at the beginning of your new game. I will just be faced with a wall of unusable ghosts which make me feel disappointed that I haven't unlocked yet.
2) It discourages changing play style. If all my shortcuts are set in preference of doing things one way (eg. certain weapons/capsules, or only laser turrets, not flamethrowers), then I'll play the same sort of way next time. Not that I'll forget alternatives exist, but the options I'm familiar and used to are presented in a handy way so I don't have to find them, and notice another weapon whilst I'm looking.

Hope that makes sense!

P.S. I am all for delaying 0.17 for as long as necessary until you're completely ready to make it experimental
I definitely agree. Maybe there could be the option to copy the quickbar configuration from the last open save to a newly created map, off by default.

MicFac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MicFac »

It seems to always be the case, but $nextUpdate is going to be the biggest Factorio release so far.
What happened there? is "$nextUpdate" some kind of formatting error?

Zalminen
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Zalminen »

MicFac wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:52 pm
It seems to always be the case, but $nextUpdate is going to be the biggest Factorio release so far.
What happened there? is "$nextUpdate" some kind of formatting error?
It's just a programmer joke. $nextUpdate would be a variable holding the value of the next update.
And since the releases just keep growing and growing, every next update is always bigger than the one before that.

Return to “News”