Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Regular reports on Factorio development.
factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:23 am

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by factoriouzr » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:34 am

5thHorseman wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:50 am
Koub wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:47 am
Expecting and hoping are two very different things you know :)
They can also both exist at the same time. :D
Exactly :D

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2604
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by eradicator » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:05 am

factoriouzr wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:34 am
5thHorseman wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:50 am
Koub wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:47 am
Expecting and hoping are two very different things you know :)
They can also both exist at the same time. :D
Exactly :D
I therefore expect to be hoping i'd have had no expectations for a christmas release. Because i don't want to suffer from constant longings for more cracktorio instead of enjoying christmas.
Author of: Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Hotkey 2.0
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English

User avatar
mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 731
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:00 pm

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by mexmer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:01 pm

eradicator wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:05 am
factoriouzr wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:34 am
5thHorseman wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:50 am
Koub wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:47 am
Expecting and hoping are two very different things you know :)
They can also both exist at the same time. :D
Exactly :D
I therefore expect to be hoping i'd have had no expectations for a christmas release. Because i don't want to suffer from constant longings for more cracktorio instead of enjoying christmas.
we can expect more people hopping on xmass hype train :mrgreen:

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2604
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by eradicator » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:44 pm

mexmer wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:01 pm
eradicator wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:05 am
factoriouzr wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:34 am
5thHorseman wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:50 am
Koub wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:47 am
Expecting and hoping are two very different things you know :)
They can also both exist at the same time. :D
Exactly :D
I therefore expect to be hoping i'd have had no expectations for a christmas release. Because i don't want to suffer from constant longings for more cracktorio instead of enjoying christmas.
we can expect more people hopping on xmass hype train :mrgreen:
Just to clarify: I said that i explicitly don't want a christmas release. Because i want to spend christmas with friends etcpp, and not playing factorio. So i don't want the temptation. And in any case for a small game like factorio it would imho be ill advised to jump into the release-oversaturated christmas period instead of doing a release with proper media coverage in a calmer time-of-the-year.
Author of: Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Hotkey 2.0
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English

User avatar
mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 731
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:00 pm

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by mexmer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:09 pm

eradicator wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:44 pm
mexmer wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:01 pm
eradicator wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:05 am
factoriouzr wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:34 am
5thHorseman wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:50 am

They can also both exist at the same time. :D
Exactly :D
I therefore expect to be hoping i'd have had no expectations for a christmas release. Because i don't want to suffer from constant longings for more cracktorio instead of enjoying christmas.
we can expect more people hopping on xmass hype train :mrgreen:
Just to clarify: I said that i explicitly don't want a christmas release. Because i want to spend christmas with friends etcpp, and not playing factorio. So i don't want the temptation. And in any case for a small game like factorio it would imho be ill advised to jump into the release-oversaturated christmas period instead of doing a release with proper media coverage in a calmer time-of-the-year.
remind me again, when 0.16.0 was released?
release

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2604
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by eradicator » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:11 pm

mexmer wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:09 pm
remind me again, when 0.16.0 was released?
release
Which is exactly why i know that i don't like christmas releases.

Do you really want devs fixing bugs on christmas eve? → FFF223
Author of: Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Hotkey 2.0
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English

User avatar
Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by Oktokolo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:52 pm

eradicator wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:44 pm
Just to clarify: I said that i explicitly don't want a christmas release. Because i want to spend christmas with friends etcpp, and not playing factorio. So i don't want the temptation. And in any case for a small game like factorio it would imho be ill advised to jump into the release-oversaturated christmas period instead of doing a release with proper media coverage in a calmer time-of-the-year.
You could spend christmas playing Factorio with all your friends. Factorio has no problem handling hundreds of players on one server.
The temptation will always be there anyway as the game is already playable.
The reason for the oversaturation of that christmas period is, that releasing at that time of year leads to higher sales.

But: They have a lot on their list and spring 2019 is early enough. No need to go into crunch mode to get it out before xmas.
So Wube should take all the time they need to get a polished version including the spidertron released without rushing anything.

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2604
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by eradicator » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:18 pm

Oktokolo wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:52 pm
The reason for the oversaturation of that christmas period is, that releasing at that time of year leads to higher sales.
With the big big: IF you get enough media coverage. And most major info sites are likely to prefer putting news of Triple-A titles on the top. If there however are no recent Triple-A releases because for example your game is released a month or two after christmas, then you are far more likely to get coverage of your $small_game because the media outlets are desperately trying to find something to write about. Even some major publishers avoid christmas nowadays to not be buried under all the other stuff that happens simultaenously.
Author of: Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Hotkey 2.0
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:23 am

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by factoriouzr » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:17 pm

mexmer wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:09 pm
eradicator wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:44 pm
mexmer wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:01 pm
eradicator wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:05 am
factoriouzr wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:34 am


Exactly :D
I therefore expect to be hoping i'd have had no expectations for a christmas release. Because i don't want to suffer from constant longings for more cracktorio instead of enjoying christmas.
we can expect more people hopping on xmass hype train :mrgreen:
Just to clarify: I said that i explicitly don't want a christmas release. Because i want to spend christmas with friends etcpp, and not playing factorio. So i don't want the temptation. And in any case for a small game like factorio it would imho be ill advised to jump into the release-oversaturated christmas period instead of doing a release with proper media coverage in a calmer time-of-the-year.
remind me again, when 0.16.0 was released?
release
Exactly :D

factoriouzr
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:23 am

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by factoriouzr » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:19 pm

eradicator wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:11 pm
mexmer wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:09 pm
remind me again, when 0.16.0 was released?
release
Which is exactly why i know that i don't like christmas releases.

Do you really want devs fixing bugs on christmas eve? → FFF223
Releasing before Christmas does not require devs to work of Christmas. In fact I'm good if they release it and fix the bugs after Christmas, or better yet, release a week or two before the holidays and fix any critical bugs that come up if any and leave the rest till later.

User avatar
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 2604
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by eradicator » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 pm

factoriouzr wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:19 pm
eradicator wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:11 pm
mexmer wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:09 pm
remind me again, when 0.16.0 was released?
release
Which is exactly why i know that i don't like christmas releases.

Do you really want devs fixing bugs on christmas eve? → FFF223
Releasing before Christmas does not require devs to work of Christmas. In fact I'm good if they release it and fix the bugs after Christmas, or better yet, release a week or two before the holidays and fix any critical bugs that come up if any and leave the rest till later.
Exept the blog post suggestes that it doesn't work that way.
Author of: Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Hotkey 2.0
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3877
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by Koub » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:27 pm

I've seen people complaining when the Devs didn't answer to posts during sunday. Whatever the day of a release, people will complain if bugs are not corrected real time, even during christmas holiday.
[Edit] removed superfluous space, thanks OCDman :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:00 am

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by ske » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:00 pm

Koub wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:27 pm
I've seen people complaining when the Devs didn't answer to posts during sunday. Whatever the day of a release, people will complain if bugs are not corrected real time , even during christmas holiday.
Could you correct that space before your second comma? But don't hurry, it's weekend.

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:56 am

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by foodfactorio » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:31 am

hi the cliff destruction video is cool :)

when you say this:
"Map pings: Shift-Clicking the map with the console open will create a map ping."

was the console just open (like for when you showed the other features), because it is still being developed? or will the console always be required before being able to do a map ping?

if the plan is for users to have to open up the console, before doing a map ping, then i would like to suggest the following instead please:

- when user shift-clicks, do a map ping without needing any console.
- if something else is already happening when shift-clicking on a map, then suggestion is to simply show users a list of "available actions" that are possible when shift-clicking on the map..

for example:
Shift-Click Actions:
- Ping here
- Tag here
- Launch nuke here
etc.

this way users dont have to keep trying to bring up a console in the heat of combat, just to be able to map ping (wasnt there a mod for this?) and on some keyboard you can get a double key effect so when you try to toggle the console and close it, it could reopen :) but in case more options become available in future, which are useful on the map screen, then this sets the scene for future expandability of options. plus it is easier to use, with no risk of typing something wrong in a rush into the console and mucking up a game or something or breaking achievements by mistake.

in all my gameplay, the only console command i ever needed to do, was to force flush/refresh the recipe list, because the game (i think 0.15 or 0.16) doesnt auto-update its recipe list, when i tried changing a mod recipe, which actually would be a cool thing to do via the gui somehow...
sounds like an easy job for rsedding??? :D
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

foodfactorio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:56 am

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by foodfactorio » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:34 am

i see the humour you are using :)
though shouldn't you have said "it's the weekend" :D - joke
ske wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:00 pm
Koub wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:27 pm
I've seen people complaining when the Devs didn't answer to posts during sunday. Whatever the day of a release, people will complain if bugs are not corrected real time , even during christmas holiday.
Could you correct that space before your second comma? But don't hurry, it's weekend.
(also me from the mod portal - im not dustine lol) = https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Dustine/ ... ssion/9108
my 1st Mod Idea :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=50256

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:00 am

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by ske » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:21 pm

Koub wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:27 pm
[Edit] removed superfluous space, thanks OCDman :)
Thank you very much 8-)
foodfactorio wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:34 am
i see the humour you are using :)
though shouldn't you have said "it's the weekend" :D - joke
:shock: I should've, it's the weekend!

User avatar
5thHorseman
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 478
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by 5thHorseman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:56 pm

ske wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:21 pm
Koub wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:27 pm
[Edit] removed superfluous space, thanks OCDman :)
Thank you very much 8-)
foodfactorio wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:34 am
i see the humour you are using :)
though shouldn't you have said "it's the weekend" :D - joke
:shock: I should've, it's the weekend!
Your post is literally unreadable. Underlines for emphasis instead of italics.
"So you completed the game with a spaghetti factory? Well I hand crafted a rocket and threw it into space with my bare hands!"

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3877
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am

Re: Friday Facts #267 - Experiments, Explosives & Extended tags

Post by Koub » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:32 pm

This is fun and all, but how about getting back on topic ? :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Post Reply

Return to “News”