Friday Facts #266 - Cleanup of mechanics

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #266 - Cleanup of mechanics

Post by Klonan »

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-266
posila wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:33 pm
wartthog wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:07 pm
Another thing that might help is to have a clear list of what is and is not still moddable, and perhaps a justification (whether it's accepted or not) for removing what you did from the engine. Then people wouldn't need to speculate and extrapolate.
I don't know reasoning beyond what was written in FFF
  • Pickaxe - tool slot and mining-tool prototype removed from engine (there is dummy mining-tool for purpose of migration of old saves)
  • Burner efficiency - no engine change, base mod was changed so it always uses efficiency = 1
  • Hardness, Mining power, Mining speed & Mining time - mining speed calculation overhauled in the engine; mining_hardness and mining_power removed, only mining_time and mining_speed are used to calculate final mining speed. If you want to constrain some resources to be minable only by higher tier of drills, use resource_categories (see pumpjack definition in base mod). Restricting player from mining non-resource entity is not possible at the moment. It's also not possible to temporarily prevent player from mining resource entities (player can either mine a resource from start - but maybe super slow, or not able to mine it at all).
  • Resistances/Damage types - no engine change, mods can add more damage types if they need to
  • Assembling machine ingredient limit - minor engine change = AssemblingMachinePrototype::ingredient_count is now optional and defaults to 255, everything else were changes in base mod

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #266 - Cleanup of mechanics

Post by RocketManChronicles »

Another great post from the great devs behind this game... just keep up the good work! Thank you for thousands of hours of fun and still yet more to come. :) The streamlining makes much more sense now.
Last edited by RocketManChronicles on Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yehn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yehn »

I'm very glad to hear about the change to assembly machines. I've always felt like I had to rush blue assemblers - despite their expensive early game cost - because greys just can't make too many basic recipes.

Now I'll be able to delay upgrading to blues a bit and focus more on automating early game recipes instead of dumping all my resources into those ASAP. (Also - yay! we'l be able to automate refinery production immediately)

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

No loss of efficiency from switching to electric smelting while still using boiler-driven steam power? Interesting.

Will the melee mechanic still exist? Does the damage scale with the new steel-axe replacement tech?

rcbrito91
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by rcbrito91 »

So it seems, by what we could read from this FFF, that the wait will be long for the 0.17...

It is a dubious sentiment: A part of me wants to play the new aditions, the other wants to wait for more incredible alterations to the base game

This alterations seems to be so substantial that i can't even play 0.16 anymore... The harder part is to find the pacience to wait..

But, keep up the good work!

Vandroiy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vandroiy »

Yes! This is a great mindset! Cut the excess features and complexity, so the good parts can shine!

This is something so many designers don't understand, leading to all these zombie games that drown in their own featuritis.

Thumbs up! 👍

Pizzagod
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pizzagod »

Weapons and armor behave much the same as pickaxes, you craft them once and keep them equipped forever. Maybe you should get rid of equipment entirely, simply upgrade the base armor and unlock new weapons without the need to equip them (what's the point of limiting it to three anyway?). While you're at it you could consume ammunition from the inventory directly and remove the tool box on the bottom right entirely, or maybe replace it with an ammo indicator (rather than info on the current stack only).

antipin00
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by antipin00 »

On the topic of eliminating unnecessary complexity - there was a proposal on reddit to round belt throughputs to 15/30/45 (link).
What do you think about it?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

antipin00 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:36 pm
On the topic of eliminating unnecessary complexity - there was a proposal on reddit to round belt throughputs to 15/30/45 (link).
We can't do that easily actually. The movement of items on belts is 1 pixel per tick, and if you change it to something else than the multiplication of it, the movement will look choppy.

utoxin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by utoxin »

kovarex wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:39 pm
antipin00 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:36 pm
We can't do that easily actually. The movement of items on belts is 1 pixel per tick, and if you change it to something else than the multiplication of it, the movement will look choppy.
The proposal didn't actually suggest changing the movement speed. It suggested packing the icons on the belt slightly closer together, so that the average density was 12.5% higher, resulting in higher throughput at the same movement speed.

H8UL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by H8UL »

All the changes look good to me!

Which of these changes are to the core game engine itself, and which are in the base mod only?

Edit: seems like too many of these changes aren't moddable back in. I think that is a waste of code you already got into a great state and a big problem for big mods.
Last edited by H8UL on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shameless mod plugging: Ribbon Maze

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

kovarex wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:39 pm
There is no need to do full-pixel steps as GPUs are fine with rendering stuff that is not aligned to a full-pixel grid. Use floats for sprite coordinates (GPUs expect floats anyway) and support some cheap antialiasing mode, so the result always looks smooth.

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »

Yehn wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:21 pm
I'm very glad to hear about the change to assembly machines. I've always felt like I had to rush blue assemblers - despite their expensive early game cost - because greys just can't make too many basic recipes.

Now I'll be able to delay upgrading to blues a bit and focus more on automating early game recipes instead of dumping all my resources into those ASAP. (Also - yay! we'l be able to automate refinery production immediately)
This....by all means, this

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

R.I.P. TeamSteelAxe
R.I.P. "Praise the Steelaxe!"

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

Do you keep all the options for mods? Please ...

For removing picks:
How do you want to lock progression in mods?
I mean add another lab that you can only feed materials... Wow now we really advanced that.

Removing resistances is fine. No one cared about them anyway.

Removing mining power removes another possibility for mods to make drills that don't mine at a constant rate.
Last edited by SuperSandro2000 on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

What does the "Variation" line mean in ore tooltip? If it's something like number of sprites, i don't think player needs to know.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Zaflis wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:59 pm
What does the "Variation" line mean in ore tooltip? If it's something like number of sprites, i don't think player needs to know.
It's debug only and not shown to the player :)
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

ThorsDragon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ThorsDragon »

awesome changes!!! :D

caramelwhistle
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by caramelwhistle »

Assembling machine ingredient limit removal

The idea behind this mechanic was that better assembling machines can use more complex recipes. But the reality is, that there is not really a clear connection between the number of ingredients and the complexity of the recipe. Since it was yet another thing that had to be explained somehow, we decided to just remove it. The only real downside is, that the achievement "lazy bastard" will be much less of a puzzle, but we still consider it to be worth it.
Oh well, as least having pushed myself to get that achievement this last week I can hold my head high I did it the slightly harder way...

Now will I manage to do "There is no spoon" before 0.17 too, we'll see.

torham
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by torham »

Yet more quality of life. The game is going to be polished so much, its gonna have a hole in it :D

Lazy bastard is going to be a breeze now. I would consider lowering the craft count to reflect these changes.

Have you considered wiping the achievement stats on 1.0 launch?

Return to “News”