Friday Facts #58 - It is here

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Metin200
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #58 - It is here

Post by Metin200 »

I don't know how you manage the network exactly but I would use TCP only for creating a connection.
and if the connection is ready please use UDP to send and receive data.

TCP needs an answer from the other computer! ( That means TCP results in Download speed == Upload speed )

For example my Download is 48 kilobyte/s and my upload is 10 kilobyte/s, so TCP would try to upload with 48 Kilobyte/s.
This is getting rediculus if the Host has 1 Megabyte/s upload and the game trys to download this
1 Megabyte/s with a 48 Kilobyte/s connection and at the same time Upload 1 Megabyte/s with a 10 Kilobyte/s Upload. :D

But still a great Update ;)

Blackence
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blackence »

Metin200 wrote:TCP needs an answer from the other computer! ( That means TCP results in Download speed == Upload speed )
No, it's not quite that bad fortunately :)

A lot of protocols are based on TCP, for example HTTP (though e.g. UPnP also uses "HTTP over UDP", but browsers use HTTP over TCP). And you can download files via HTTP at a much faster speed than your upstream bandwidth.

The TCP acknowledgements exist of course, but those are very small packets. So available download bandwidth >> available upload bandwidth even when using TCP.

As I understand it, factorio needs most of the features that TCP offers over UDP (like ensuring correct order of received data and making sure no data is lost / duplicated and even congestion control through sender limiting in case one client is running slow). So if they used UDP only, they'd need to implement these features on top of UDP. And it's quite likely that the TCP designers did a better job than most custom implementations of these features.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Blackence wrote:As I understand it, factorio needs most of the features that TCP offers over UDP (like ensuring correct order of received data and making sure no data is lost / duplicated and even congestion control through sender limiting in case one client is running slow). So if they used UDP only, they'd need to implement these features on top of UDP. And it's quite likely that the TCP designers did a better job than most custom implementations of these features.
Yeah, following all the important comments is hard, I don't blame you
slpwnd wrote:
PalllaX wrote: In fact the devs can answer the question about TCP and UDP in best place. They have programmed it :D
Factorio uses UDP. We have our own "reliable delivery" layer built on UDP to deal with packet loss and reordering issues.
PS: Will you be updating your proof-of-concept CCnet2 mod's power switch, now that "disconnectneighbour" is available? [ https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =20#p42983 ]

ersiduxis
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ersiduxis »

Please help. What do i do, when my friend gets injured in my hosted map, and desyncs? it happens over and over again please help

Blackence
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blackence »

MF- wrote:Yeah, following all the important comments is hard, I don't blame you
Seems like I missed some of the recent posts (and I am to blame for that), thanks for that info. Knowing the factorio dev team, I'm sure they got the packet loss / reordering issues sorted out and hopefully managed to make it work a little better than TCP because it's tailored to the specific use-case.
MF- wrote:PS: Will you be updating your proof-of-concept CCnet2 mod's power switch, now that "disconnectneighbour" is available? [ https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =20#p42983 ]
I was quite busy in the recent weeks, so I didn't know about that new method. Thanks for the hint! Let me see if I can find some time for that (and for replying to the thread you linked) next week. (Also, anyone is welcome to improve the mod ofc.) I think there was a reason for duplicating the pole creation code, but I'm not sure now. Also not sure about the context.enabled question right now :)

Dracohouston
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dracohouston »

ersiduxis wrote:Please help. What do i do, when my friend gets injured in my hosted map, and desyncs? it happens over and over again please help
there have been 2 solutions for this problem, make sure you do both

1) ensure both players are using 32 bit or 64 bit version of the game. if a player with the 64 bit client plays with someone with the 32 bit client you get desyncs when shooting or being damaged by aliens, this has been reproduced by a few people and definitely makes a difference
2) only been reproduced by 1 pair of players AFAIK, but both players having the same name will result in the same desync bug in combat, so make sure all players have unique names

if those don't work i guess wait for a patch and post a bug report about it. good luck!

Mr. Thunder_Tw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mr. Thunder_Tw »

superb nice magnificent delightfull shiny new fun update! I think i've missed something :lol:
my Mod: ThunderGui

Mac
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mac »

Guys i want a quick answer, I cant do lua commands anymore? in mutliplayer it just chats

Xecutor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xecutor »

Mac wrote:Guys i want a quick answer, I cant do lua commands anymore? in mutliplayer it just chats
quick answer: you can. type '/c command'

sutech
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sutech »

Hi, i play yesterday, i feel really excited, tank is very nice and cool, but i have one thing, if i put ammo to cargo of tank and fire, its not a replace it from cargo... (proste kdyz vystrilim/spalim ammo/palivo tak se nenahradi z kufru tanku). i know, you have a issue with gates but they open to slow maybe too late ? (ale nevim jak se otvira u vlaku asi jste to tam poresili vzhledem k pozici vlaku na koleji/rychlosti kdy se zacne otvirat ale u tanku jsem nekolikrat projel branou = zavrenou :D brzdi to fakt silene dobre = jako tank :D)

And thanx for optimizing game, its works better with my laptop :) i thing cache map works :P
btw. can we expect laser or flamethower tank? :P

ps. sorry my english sux..
Relationship: In love with FactoriO :P :D

Schorty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schorty »

Does someone else think about these buddys, when they hear laser tank?

I loved them :D
Tired of not being able to reduce the pollution? Try the Air-Filter-Mod
With this, you are able to use the pollution levels in your circuit network: Pollution detector

blueangel020
Inserter
Inserter

Post by blueangel020 »

Command & Conquer for ever!!!!!!!! ;)

toka4050
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by toka4050 »

Multiplayer ist great!
Played more than 9 hours with a friend and we just had a few crashes.
I think it crashes sometimes while auto-saving. But I'm not sure.

Gates are also awesome :)

sutech
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sutech »

I can´t wait to tomorrow news :P, who´s with me?! :P
Relationship: In love with FactoriO :P :D

blueangel020
Inserter
Inserter

Post by blueangel020 »

ohhh yeah me to. Hope for a update but think its sooo much work for the guys, but can't wait for an running dedicated server software, like Minecraft ;)

tecxx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tecxx »

we're doing a 3 player session this weekend, yaaay. anyone knows if a .12(?) update gets released this friday?

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

tecxx wrote:we're doing a 3 player session this weekend, yaaay. anyone knows if a .12(?) update gets released this friday?
0.12? Probably jan-feb some time.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

FishSandwich wrote:
tecxx wrote:we're doing a 3 player session this weekend, yaaay. anyone knows if a .12(?) update gets released this friday?
0.12? Probably jan-feb some time.
Jopp:)

but maybe 0.11.2 :)

Maddock
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Maddock »

When will be support of XP re-enabled? In .11.2 or may be in little hotfix? I want to play with friend so much but he is retard with XP installed.

tecxx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tecxx »

i meant 0.11.2, sorry for typo. just curious if we can expect some bugfixes tonight. we will Play anyway ;)

Return to “News”