Friday Facts #263 - Trains in blueprints

Regular reports on Factorio development.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #263 - Trains in blueprints

Post by Nova »

Trains in blueprints... sounds promising!

More latency hiding is also quite nice. Is using our weapons already incorporated into the latency? It may be quite funny to teleport when walking and then shooting, but it's still not optimal. ^^
Last edited by Nova on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Looks great
The last tweak I'm considering is to allow blueprints to contain the fuel insertion info
Also consider adding the cargo wagon filters

TRUEpicness
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TRUEpicness »

Say all of that fake furnace stuff ten times as quick lol

It's the end of an era when the upgrade planner mod won't be downloadable from the portal
1 more YouTube vid before bed *starts 24hr long vid*

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

That sounds like a lot of work just for one quality of life feature.

Hope it's worth it.
Last edited by Gergely on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raziel2244
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Raziel2244 »

Very happy with the trains in blueprints! Looking forward to this update a lot especially after last week :D The undo feature and upgrade planner look very useful, and I'm glad so much testing is under way - hadn't realised quite how much testing was needed! Such good work from the game devs :)

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

With all the great changes coming it seems I will have to play the tutorial and learn the game from scratch again. Haha. Its amazing how when .15 came out it was like a new game with all the features and then when .16 came out it was the same story. You guys are amazing. I wish more people in the world were like you, or maybe I was just born in the wrong place. Anyways kovarex I see you were rushed, go get a beer, take a chillaxing breather and just re-read the FFF. There's quite a few grammatical mistakes and repeated words etc. Just thought I'd tell you.

As always keep up the good work guys. Please remember we need little toggle icons or something to toggle personal roboports on/off, belt immunity equips etc. Think of it like the augmentations in Deus Ex and being able to have visual control on switching on off. You're making the game so streamlined, please give some love to this too because currently opening the armor and managing stuff from there isn't very streamlined. And my promise is still on, I will buy ANOTHER copy of the game when Spidertron gets introduced.

V453000
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by V453000 »

Serenity wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:14 pm
Looks great
The last tweak I'm considering is to allow blueprints to contain the fuel insertion info
That's already there. :)

chris13524
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by chris13524 »

Super awesome!!!

The fuel is an interesting one. Modules don't get consumed. But fuel does. The fuel will have to be replenished eventually anyways, so the feature should only address the short term now-to-next-refuel situation (e.g. you don't have fuel replenishing at your mines, but you build the train in the mine blueprint). Perhaps add another checkbox and slider in the blueprint (maybe for for all entities?) to request a certain amount of fuel type (you've got to be careful, because players might start demanding requester slots in trains!). I don't think fuel should be required to be included (e.g. you're prototyping with coal and that gets included in the resulting blueprint, now every time you build a mine you have coal being requested). This also relates to burner inserters having a little fuel in initially, should trains another entities have the same? Maybe not, but it's something to look at for consistency.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

More neat features :)

Regarding blueprints, please add the ability to zoom and scroll (for editing large prints!).
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

GTrak
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GTrak »

Cool!
Would be nice if upgrade planner can insert modules. ;)

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »

Serenity wrote:
Looks great
yes, please!!!!

Well, another tweak would be making filtering cargo wagons easier, such as a copy to all slots function, and ability to filter fluid wagons :)

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »

V453000 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:19 pm
Serenity wrote:
Looks great
That's already there. :)

Nice

Gebus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Train cargo as logistics objects

Post by Gebus »

Can we have an option to set train cargo wagons as logistic objects? This would be useful in scenarios like setting up outposts when you bring a load of stuff along in a train and are using personal roboports. It would also allow robots to fill trains without intermediate components.

Perhaps controlled by the circuit network to be a requester/provider when at a station so it can request from one network and provide to another.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

deer_buster wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:31 pm
Well, another tweak would be making filtering cargo wagons easier
Oh yes please. Leaving the middle mouse button pressed should allow you drag the filter over the other slots

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I want it all and I want it now!

planetfall
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by planetfall »

Interesting decision to upgrade blueprints through the blueprint UI rather than through the upgrade planner UI as the mod does. Personally I prefer the mod's implementation because that makes it a bit more convenient to bulk upgrade several blueprints at once.

Also, I foresee the upgrade planner messing with braided underground belts. I'm not sure what the best solution is there. You could make it just ignore braided belts, but then they form a bottleneck in an otherwise faster design. If you have undergrounds being upgraded anywhere in the planner you could make yellow/red and yellow/blue braids become red/blue. But this becomes trickier when you factor in modded belts that may not follow the exact vanilla tiers.

Another possibility might be introducing an extra underground belt entity at each tier, to allow braiding belts of the same speed. But then the upgrade planner would need to recognize that and change some of the belts but not others, which may be tricky to calculate (and also necessitates an extra underground belt assembler per belt tier, which will mess up everyone's existing designs. Not like that's necessarily the worst thing in the world, of course.)

All that seems to add extra inconvenience onto what is ultimately a convenience feature, though, so maybe just blindly upgrading all belts and forcing players to redo braided designs is for the best.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

You know, with every dot release before, I was very interested, looking forward to experimenting, definitely wanted to see how it would play out, all that. On board the hype train, even.

This one, with all the QoL stuff, undo, now trains in bps, gui spiff and all the rest? I want it.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

So, the Blueprintable Trains mod is no more at 0.17. Glad you guys are paying attention to the community. It's the small things like this that drive a game from good to great! But this game was great at 0.12, you've just been moving the bar in the right direction! Keep up the good work guys. :)

Trebor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Trebor »

Fuel should be treated like any other item in the blueprint. However much is in the engine is the amount blueprinted. If the blueprint was created with coal and you want rocket fuel you use the upgrade planner.

Return to “News”