Friday Facts #258 - New autoplace

Regular reports on Factorio development.
mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #258 - New autoplace

Post by mrvn »

RocketManChronicles wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:09 pm
BlueTemplar wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:22 pm
Well, I don't know how often Oil/Uranium spawn in the starting area *now* (since again, from what I understand, it's a bug - which might not happen that often).
So you can't presume that...
And well, just look at the (very randomly picked) default 0.16 map settings :
You can clearly see here that oil and uranium are outside the starting area... and also that it wouldn't take much (if any!) nest-clearing to get to them !
This is where I lose my understanding of people's gripes about oil and uranium. I know I am different, but I do not see a problem with oil and uranium being even a little further than your shown example. Fighting nests that size with the initial ammo and a submachine gun is not hard at all; takes maybe three minutes to clear the path.

Unlike a lot of vocal people here, I guess I am alone in wanting more of a fight between me and the biters. I want to exert a lot of effort to reach new resources. I enjoy the challenge and the fight for survival.
And now assume the oil fields happen to overlap with water so they aren't there. They could be far far far away. That water destroys resources might be the biggest cause for totally reasonable maps to become nearly unusable.

But now to the real reason I answer:

As an option for those that want to fight for resources: There could be aliens that are resource specific and drawn to the resources. For example an alien that regularly baths in oil puddles and therefore settles around oil patches. They would also prefer to attack oil refineries.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

mrvn wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:59 am
But now to the real reason I answer:

As an option for those that want to fight for resources: There could be aliens that are resource specific and drawn to the resources. For example an alien that regularly baths in oil puddles and therefore settles around oil patches. They would also prefer to attack oil refineries.
See, now you are on to something....

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Another idea for the graphics department: Aliens living on/near copper deposits sure would get some of that copper in their food. They skin or feathers could have a coppery look. Aliens living near uranium on the other hand could glow in the dark. and so on.

Jan11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jan11 »

I miss the old map generation. I don`t like the new one. I would like to see start areas like this with water (lakes and oceans) and not only one pond..... .

Its currently a big flat area without anything....
Attachments
Factorio map.png
Factorio map.png (746.25 KiB) Viewed 3172 times

Dark_star
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dark_star »

Been away from Fartorio, tried Deathworld, it would have been nice to know there was no oil, not just in started area but on map. I have 6 radars going and still
no oil. The player does need to know which direction to expand in for oil, else a bust.

ThorsDragon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ThorsDragon »

Klonan wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:26 am
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-258
Awesome work on the RNG!!!!! :D

Return to “News”