Friday Facts #57 - One week left

Regular reports on Factorio development.
pkircher
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #57 - One week left

Post by pkircher »

currently as far as i understand it its a 1:1 connection

if you want to run a regular gameserver the connection methods internaly would neeed to be changed to 1:S:1
since multiplayer as much as i know ( i can be wrong ) is currently limited to 2 players

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ThaPear »

pkircher wrote:currently as far as i understand it its a 1:1 connection

if you want to run a regular gameserver the connection methods internaly would neeed to be changed to 1:S:1
since multiplayer as much as i know ( i can be wrong ) is currently limited to 2 players

FF #57 wrote:We have tested the game in 2 or 3 people playing simultaneously (we will try more the next week).
It looks like it's not limited to 2.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

In 0.11.0 there will be no explicit support for making factorio servers. If you want to make a world running 24/7 you need to start whole factorio on your server machine and keep it running. The server instance will then have a character in the game just like anybody else.

dyf123
Inserter
Inserter

Post by dyf123 »

I want to know that what ammo the tank will need.And If the Spitter's attack's scope is longer that the Laser Turret's,will it make a Weapon with same attack's scope of Spitter,like the cannon which looks like the Grand Cannon in C&C Red Alert 2 and use the same ammo with tank?

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

cube wrote:In 0.11.0 there will be no explicit support for making factorio servers. If you want to make a world running 24/7 you need to start whole factorio on your server machine and keep it running. The server instance will then have a character in the game just like anybody else.
Running the whole of Factorio isn't a problem, but having the server as a character is...
Oh well. Maybe in the future

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

There is already commands now to remove character from the world. If the commands can be set to admin or Host but as well as remove character had only an effect as the host or the user who uses it then actually you have a quick and simple solution.

Since it exists I'm sure one these lovely devs can try it out for you guys and if not I'm sure if they added the command handler in it should work just fine for the host.

So there is a lot of light down the tunnel. Plus I'm sure someone can make a mod as well.

Not sure if you can make or force a mod that is not needed for everyone. For example a host only mod.

DaveKap
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaveKap »

Hey folks, congratulations on getting so far! I am super excited for this Friday! Despite having a dozen other games I need to play, this will be the one I shove in all my friends' faces in hopes of playing with them.

That being said, I have to ask: At what latency does the experience begin to fall apart? My friends and I can typically hit a ping of 20ms-80ms to each other while LAN is obviously in the 0ms-3ms range. Though this isn't as bad as people who do not have high speed Internet (the 100ms+ range) it is definitely possible that Factorio is unplayable in this range, thus why I have to ask. Do you suspect we will have a workable game experience or does everything get ruined as soon as it hits 20ms of latency?

Pigeon039
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pigeon039 »

Cant wait for tanks, multiplayer, gates, new mobs. :mrgreen:
But, when will we see stuff like airplanes and boats(for when we are trapped on islands) and flying mobs so that island play doesn't become boring. Also is the current multiplayer where it is lan or something like say minecraft were you type in the server name and join, or will be like teamfortress server listing, you find the server and connect to it? Currently I don't know anyone else that plays Factorio and would like to use them for watching my ore outposts for drills that run dry and against alien invasions :roll: .

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

DaveKap wrote:Hey folks, congratulations on getting so far! I am super excited for this Friday! Despite having a dozen other games I need to play, this will be the one I shove in all my friends' faces in hopes of playing with them.

That being said, I have to ask: At what latency does the experience begin to fall apart? My friends and I can typically hit a ping of 20ms-80ms to each other while LAN is obviously in the 0ms-3ms range. Though this isn't as bad as people who do not have high speed Internet (the 100ms+ range) it is definitely possible that Factorio is unplayable in this range, thus why I have to ask. Do you suspect we will have a workable game experience or does everything get ruined as soon as it hits 20ms of latency?
100 ms is no problem, imho (but kovarex with his 60Hz SuperSmooth(tm) eye might disagree :-) )

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

I predict that we won't see 0.11 on 31.10 because one simply does not release multiplayer update without problems.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

cpy wrote:I predict that we won't see 0.11 on 31.10 because one simply does not release multiplayer update without problems.
I predict we will see 0.11 on 31-10. Chances are we'll see 0.11.1 on 31-10 as well and 0.11.2 before 7-11 ;)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

PalllaX
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PalllaX »

Hey guys,
I'm new and super excited for multiplayer too! :)
After I finished the campaign I played freeplay 24 hours nonstop. No sleep. No high-end game was able to do that with me! ;) I love this game and you will here from me in future.. (I'm a 3D Artist :)).

So... I didn't read here anything about hamachi. This will be the easy way to play "LAN" via internet?!

P.S.: I'm running a barebone Ubuntu Server 24/7 on my desktop at home. As soon as everything seems fine with the multiplayer I post my server address so you can play whenever you want. :)

ares0027
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ares0027 »

am i the only one counting the hours? can someone tell us the official release time or at least the time zone? :o

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

ares0027 wrote:am i the only one counting the hours? can someone tell us the official release time or at least the time zone? :o
Timezone: GMT + 1
Official Release Time: Evening. Probably.

max2605
Inserter
Inserter

Post by max2605 »

I have make (use?) a Countdown on a website that makes Countdowns.

http://www.webcountdown.de/?a=2y4Ar61

That is on my 50" LCD Television:D

MalContentFL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MalContentFL »

You can use this website I found to convert GMT+1 to your time zone. I put GMT time as 7:00 PM, the estimated evening release of 0.11.
http://www.thetimezoneconverter.com/

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Around 2am for australia :'(

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

-root wrote:Around 2am for australia :'(
that is really disappointing

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

hum.. 9 pm in real world time is 5 am in Sydney (don't know where y'all is livin in Oz), you can start playing early Saturday morning, and play all weekend! And if you have to work on Saturday, that's your fault, not the devs ;)

hedgehog
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by hedgehog »

will all spitters be moving now but they will be no good agents a military mod that I created but I can not use it for the moment because it is being moved to a different mod nooooooo! when I start a multilayer map it will be peas fell mode this time.

Return to “News”